Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
P
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
P
In addition to the French bailing the U.S. out during our revolution, let's also remember the support the French lent to the Republic of Texas in it's struggle against Mexican dictators. The U.S. and France are both highly independent nations that don't always agree but we are bound as allies by history and our shared focus on liberty. Vive La France!

Here is a great opinion piece on our unique relationship:
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/07/14/opinion/14mccullough.html

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Powder_Burn
Vive La France!

I wouldn't go that far...

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Know why the French plant rows of trees along their boulavards?

Because the Germans like marching in the shade!

wee, wee....

French Canadians?
They ain't french... they ain't Canadians.

Just what the heck are they?

"wanna hear God laugh? Tell Him you have complete control now!"
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
OK, just one more and then I'll quit grin

TOUR DE FRANCE 1940.....
[Linked Image]

grin

But seriously, I got nothing against the French, nor any reason to disparage them or their country.

Birdwatcher

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
PC maxed out! I love french jokes.

Are we to stop spanking RPeeer's, too? Are they french?

All American

All the time
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Previous great nation, I might concede part of that. After Lafayette and Alexis de Tocqueville there was a cut off

we've pulled their bacon outta the fire after WWII they've not much appreciated us (U.S.). They back stabbed us multiple times with their Security Council veto card.

And after Operation El Dorado Canyon authorized by Reagan, I have not considered them an ally to the U.S.

On April 14, the United States struck back with dramatic air strikes against Tripoli and Banghazi. The attacks were mounted by 14 A-6E navy attack jets based in the Mediterranean and 18 FB-111 bombers from bases in England. Numerous other support aircraft were also involved. France refused to allow the F-111s to fly over French territory, which added 2,600 total nautical miles to the journey from England and back. Three military barracks were hit, along with the military facilities at Tripoli's main airport and the Benina air base southeast of Benghazi. All targets except one were reportedly chosen because of their direct connection to terrorist activity. The Benina military airfield was hit to preempt Libyan interceptors from taking off and attacking the incoming U.S. bombers.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
SL,once again, it is the LEADERSHIP NOT the Fighting Men who are beings dorks.

Be afraid,be VERY VERY afraid
ad triarios redisse
My Buddy eh76 speaks authentic Frontier Gibberish!
[Linked Image]
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by EvilTwin
SL,once again, it is the LEADERSHIP NOT the Fighting Men who are beings dorks.
Agreed

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Originally Posted by ColeYounger
Not to detract from the gist of your thread and get bogged down in minutia but...as not much of a scholar of WWII, I find it amazing that the French had the biggest army at the beginning of that conflict. Seriously? They weren't more well-equipped than Germany surely?

Yes, Guderian was scared shidtless of French armor. The Char B1 and B1 vis were the baddest armored vehicle on the continent. I have a German AAR I will post later of 2 such vehicles taking out an entire German armored column one morning that had parked bumper to bumper in a ville to catch some z'sssss. The B1's took multiple hits and their armor held. Some as many as 70 rounds!!!!!

As I've stated before on this thread, the campaign of 1940 was a bit more complex than a simple explanation can answer.

An obscure French General named Fontaine wrote a tretise in the early 20's at St. Cyr laying out the concept of infantry aupported armor columns and fast offiensive tactics. They were echoed by another obscure French Cav colonel named De Gaulle in the 30's. Also calling for a stronger standing "ptofessional" metro army that wasn't 80% dependent on reserve forces. Fell on deaf French ears. However there were German officers that were listening.......

BN

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
BTW, the first armor the allies hit in Nejimegen during Market Garden were captured B1's in a German armored unit!

Most of the ill feelings against the US of A were caused by the harsh treatment of true Free French forces and DeGaulle by FDR and Cordell Hull.... FDR for all practical purposes was as big a collaborator as Petain (as well as Joe Stalin's lap beyoch)....... We can thank Churchill for attempting to keep the peace between the two.....

Founder

WS

IC B3

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Originally Posted by 700LH
"I would rather have a German division in front of me than a French one behind me." --- General George S. Patton "

Never understood that quote. As the French supplied Patton with Renault FT 17's in the Great War... And he worked and learned much from them.

In WWII he said Of Gen Guilluaume of the 4th Moroccain Mountain division, "That man is worth an entire American Division" Of Gen. Juin of the 2nd Free French Corps he said, "He is the finest Infantry Commander I've EVER met".

Founder

WS

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Good post Doc. I have also had to educate some of the "Campfire historians" on how the Polish Army fought in WW2.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The French are mulling over an early retreat from Afghanistan right now. Cheese eating surrender monkeys?

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/46069137/ns/world_news-south_and_central_asia/#.TxmEcCPuWm8

I'm better when I move.
P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
Until you have a war fought in your country you have no concept of how the folks will react. France had 2 in the last century. We are still suffering the results of the "Civil War" in this country. There are many posts about how we would react to an invasion by another country but if you look at the results of our elections many would welcome invaders. I think we would be surprised at how many would support who ever they thought would win. France usually acts in what they believe is their best interest not ours. They have often been incorrect. As to leadership we are at this time in no position to complain about the leaders of other countries!
pavemenmtends

w

Elevation is math
Windage is Voodoo
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Can anyone find who said this?

"The best army in the world would combine the courage of the French soldiers led by German officers and supplied by American logistics."

I've read it but can't remember where.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Give me German officers, American equipment and Canadian soldiers and I will conquer for you the world

Rommel

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé
D
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by Steve_NO
Originally Posted by ColeYounger
Not to detract from the gist of your thread and get bogged down in minutia but...as not much of a scholar of WWII, I find it amazing that the French had the biggest army at the beginning of that conflict. Seriously? They weren't more well-equipped than Germany surely?

the French had a larger army and about equal numbers of tanks to the Germans in 1940. they, like the Brits, horribly mismanaged their armor, committing it piecemeal...in "penny packets" as the Brits called it, rather than concentrating their armor like the Germans did.

Thank you, Steve. I have been too busy over the past 18 hours or so to get back to this thread and supply the facts about the French army's status in 1940. You and Kaywoodie done good.

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The American involvement in aiding the "Butcher of Lyon" did nothing to improve the relationsip between America and France.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by n007
The American involvement in aiding the "Butcher of Lyon" did nothing to improve the relationsip between America and France.

ugh... well then what about the french catholics hiding the Hangman of Lyon (who was french) Paul Touvier... Who was pardoned by the french goverment until there was a hugh internation uproar over it.... and he was finally captured in France in a Catholic monistary in 1992... He was also the first Frenchman to be found guilty of Crimes against Humanity for his killing of fellow frnechman and Jews.... but still he lived in France with the catholic church until the 90's.... and was able to get his friend in the goverment to pardon him.... granted they could not pardon him from international crimes but they did for French goverment crimes.... I think the French would need to clean their own house before complaining about Barbie.

The worst thing ever to happen to cops is the personal video recorder... Now people can see the truth
D
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
D
n007, Sako... As I clearly stated in the OP, my objection was to members denigrating the fighting spirit and record of French soldiers.

Cowards, snakes, and charlatans abound in all governments, in all nations. Pointing out something evil done by a government at any point in time is easy and doesn't speak to the original objection.

But y'all play however you want here. I'm just sayin'.

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

225 members (444afic, 5sdad, 10gaugemag, 41rem, 348srfun, 264mag, 27 invisible), 1,671 guests, and 1,077 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,090
Posts18,522,070
Members74,026
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.