Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by BPS
A reguar post hole auger won't work in Caliche??

We've got some real tough Lava rock up here & most guys with the Auger setups on their Jeeps, have rock bits for them & they just punch right through it.

Lee

That's what i was wondering? I guess they don't use PTO tractor mounted post hole digger/auger in the SW.

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Brilliant

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Central Valley of California they would refer to the process of digging them as a "one stick" or "two stick" hole.

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by crossfireoops
Brilliant

GTC

Did i ask you a question?? If you can't respond with a civil reponse, keep your smart azz'd responses to yourself. Better yet don't even respond. Remember your just a member here, just like the rest of us. Your not the owner.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
The electric hammers I have used seem to work good out of the gate but don't seem to last very long. Have used both Bosch and Hilti and the Hilti gets the nod. If you are thinking of a forging hammer you might be better served making up a sliding trip hammer setup using a flywheel driving a connecting rod that breaks over at top dead center. We have built several drop testers using that setup....Russ

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Rancho_Loco
Central Valley of California they would refer to the process of digging them as a "one stick" or "two stick" hole.

I understand that. There's portions of TN. that's just one big rock slab. They use a lot of rock drills, dynamite,and those hydraulic jack hammers mounted on a track hoe to bust up the rock.

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
I'll HAVE to build one,....any pile of rubble vaguely resembling an original Trip Hammer seems to be worth an arm and a leg.

Been thinking about an Air Jack, as well,.....but at some point, the cost break over makes the all Electric rig appealing.

In terms of longevity, and sheer durability, those 140 year old designs probably still RULE.

GTC

-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by hunter1960
Brilliant

GTC

Did i ask you a question?? If you can't respond with a civil reponse, keep your smart azz'd responses to yourself. Better yet don't even respond. Remember your just a member here, just like the rest of us. Your not the owner.

You're [bleep]' clueless about Three point, PTO driven augers, it would seem.
Down pressure ? Caliche ?....."DOOoohhhhh, what's them words mean."
Sheesh,...Brilliant is way to kind.

GTC

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
One bad thing I see using any kind of hammer air or electric, would be that they are to quick to allow repositioning the work if used in a forging application and the stinger needs to be in compression in the hammer to apply any force. In other words if you hold a jackhammer up off the surface it doesn't hit the hammer...Russ

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by blanket
One bad thing I see using any kind of hammer air or electric, would be that they are to quick to allow repositioning the work if used in a forging application and the stinger needs to be in compression in the hammer to apply any force. In other words if you hold a jackhammer up off the surface it doesn't hit the hammer...Russ

So a guy would need some sorta' "Primary Lift" travel to raise and lower the hammer ?

GTC

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by blanket
In other words if you hold a jackhammer up off the surface it doesn't hit the hammer...Russ

What's a good jack hammer weigh, 80lbs?

Key to running one is let it do the work and don't get the 'dong' stuck.

Skidsteer mounted break alot of concrete up pretty quick.

Cross, that is a wicked invention!

Last edited by SamOlson; 01/19/12.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
90#

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I see a bit, where is the hole?

Some spelling errors can be corrected by a vowel movement.
~ MOLON LABE ~
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Yep, would need to be held up in the hammer. Same reason you have 40 and 90lb jack hammers. The weight of the hammer resting down on the bit is the reaction force of the hit. If you have ever had the opportunity to run one hung level on a sling breaking a wall you would remember how much you have to lean into one to get any work done...Russ

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Haven't worked with em' all that much. Strikes me that lifting and lowering them off the work, e.g. 'Preloading' the set up could get a bit ponderous.

Guess I'll fall back into conventional trip hammer mode .

Sure appreciate all the input.

GTC

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yep most tools are built to do the work, not the operator.

Ya never know about Harbor Freight stuff. lot oh junk, some isn't. Bought a el cheapo air chisel thinking, "if it will just do this one job it has paid for itself". That was years ago, and since I have at times worked the hell out of it, and she's still kickin.

Nice looking Bit

BPS Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by BPS
A reguar post hole auger won't work in Caliche??

We've got some real tough Lava rock up here & most guys with the Auger setups on their Jeeps, have rock bits for them & they just punch right through it.

Lee

Can you set up a jeep and an auger for $500 ?
GTC

No, you hire someone who already has one to do the work.

I bet if you look in your yellow pages, you'll find a fencing contractor who can do the work for $500 or less & since its for a good cause maybe even cheaper or free if they are into shooting.

Most guys who drill post holes for a living would jump at the chance to only have to drill a foot deep.

Lee

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Fine suggestion,.....the Hammer and the "Plan" were already in place when I drifted into this particular project, though.

These days we're building, and growing the place like crazy, and the "Volunteer Work Parties" are part of the glue that binds the whole effort together,.....WAY more than sitting around in meetings. That in and of itself is hard to put a value on. It wasn't always this way, and over the years, some big projects have been pulled off by a few dedicated souls.

There'll be any number of small jobs for this particular tool to do, downline, so it's part of a growing inventory of gear.

If you haven't seen the place,....here's a brief tour.

Link: http://www.sierravistarange.org/

I'll get some pics of the Tool Shacks, and Target shacks, ....we've got a "maintenance loonie" that's got everything really squared away.

GTC

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Used that repackaged McKay "GP", ....."God Rod".Figured with the tools steel, and cast steel, and old cutting edge for gussets, I'd splurge.

Was damned pleased to get it for $20 Lb, Too. Our local weld supplier REALLY looks after us.

Greg

thats some TOOL you have there grina bull pric like that might overpenitrate grin
norm

There is not enough darkness in all the world to put out the light of even one small candle----Robert Alden .
If it wern't entertaining, I wouldn't keep coming back.------the BigSky

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
thats a wonderful range ,good on you guys ,

just what is the soil you are going through,please discribe
norm

There is not enough darkness in all the world to put out the light of even one small candle----Robert Alden .
If it wern't entertaining, I wouldn't keep coming back.------the BigSky

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

574 members (160user, 17CalFan, 222ND, 10gaugemag, 1234, 10ring1, 67 invisible), 2,516 guests, and 1,206 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,063
Posts18,482,503
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.