Page 4 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by deflave
Originally Posted by Redneck
Originally Posted by jwp475

WOW, that video really proved the terminal effectiveness of the 410 shot shell from a revolver. I mean the Winchester shot shell penetrated completely through that paper target and we all know how difficult a sheet of paper can be to penetrate. The taking of the melon was priceless with the tough reputation that they have
Let's replace that melon with your head and see if the results are the same..

Just sayin'... smile

Oh Christ... Not that argument...

Redneck,

Have you ever hunted with a pistol chambered in the .410?

Travis

Not to mention that shooting for the head is usually not the perferred shot, center mass gives you the best chance, and unless they are on top of you, the 410 is going to be lacking.

GB1

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Not to mention jwp has such a pretty face.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
It's gotta be bettern a sharp stick!

"wanna hear God laugh? Tell Him you have complete control now!"
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Not to mention jwp has such a pretty face.

Travis

LOL! Who'd want to mess that up?!

Max Prasac

Semper Fidelis

The Gun Digest Book of Hunting Revolvers:
https://youtu.be/zKJbjjPaNUE

Bovine Bullet Test
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmtZky8T7-k&t=35s

Gun Digest TV's Modern Shooter:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGo-KMpXPpA&t=7s
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by jwp475

WOW, that video really proved the terminal effectiveness of the 410 shot shell from a revolver. I mean the Winchester shot shell penetrated completely through that paper target and we all know how difficult a sheet of paper can be to penetrate. The taking of the melon was priceless with the tough reputation that they have
Let's replace that melon with your head and see if the results are the same..

Just sayin'... smile

Oh Christ... Not that argument...
Why not? laugh

Redneck,

Have you ever hunted with a pistol chambered in the .410?

Travis
Why would I? It's not what they're designed for..

Originally Posted by jstall

Not to mention that shooting for the head is usually not the perferred shot,
Correct - but sometimes it's all ya got..
center mass gives you the best chance, and unless they are on top of you, the 410 is going to be lacking.
With standard ammo - yes.. With the new stuff, it's a new ballgame.. Besides, it's a lot easier to miss with a single slug from a .45LC when compared to the spread from the self-defense .410 ammo..

And, there's the option of having a partial cylinder with .410, and the rest being .45LC.. Lotsa possibilities.. It's all I'm sayin'..

smile

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
IC B2

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Well that's why Baskin Robbins has 31 flavors of ice cream, you can get what you want. The "Judge" is just not my flavor as a self-defense gun. It may be your favorite flavor, if it is, I would suggest trying a different one.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Ignoring that I don't believe for a minute that those "hot" .410 loads are "the stuff".....Gee Idunno - $14 for ten rounds vs $22 for 50 rounds of 230gr HP .45acp. And then there's the issue of practice ammo. I can make reloads that duplicate ballistics of carry loads for pretty cheap. I'm not even gonna entertain the idea of duplicating something like the .410 PDX.

What do those Winchester PDX projectiles weigh? 50-60 grains? At 750fps (claimed velocity on box), I am not impressed.

Lunatic fringe....we all know you're out there.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
OBTW - exploding melons proves nothing....except that one can be an incredible bore on youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ANMTKmrv_lA

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
I figured.

Travis

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Well that's why Baskin Robbins has 31 flavors of ice cream, you can get what you want.
Yah - as we used to say in the car biz - 'there's an azz for every seat'.. laugh
The "Judge" is just not my flavor as a self-defense gun. It may be your favorite flavor, if it is, I would suggest trying a different one.
Never said it was.. Just that it's useful as one in certain circumstances, and that can be said about any handgun..

Originally Posted by FreeMe
Ignoring that I don't believe for a minute that those "hot" .410 loads are "the stuff".....Gee Idunno - $14 for ten rounds vs $22 for 50 rounds of 230gr HP .45acp. And then there's the issue of practice ammo. I can make reloads that duplicate ballistics of carry loads for pretty cheap.
No question - and no argument there..

What do those Winchester PDX projectiles weigh? 50-60 grains? At 750fps (claimed velocity on box), I am not impressed.
I'm sure you realize that most 230 gr 45ACP loads aren't much faster.. The .45LC in a modern handgun makes the .45ACP look like a peashooter..

Note that I'm just takin' the other side here for argument's sake. As with ANY firearm there are those that like 'em, and those that don't.. Glocks for example.. There are those here who fall to their knees every night at their Glock-shrine while I wouldn't have one if it was free.. laugh laugh

Many handguns are nearly worthless in certain situations, yet shine in others.. It's why there's a ton of various models in tons of various calibers..

Whatever pontoon floats the boat you're in works for me..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
IC B3

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Well that's why Baskin Robbins has 31 flavors of ice cream, you can get what you want.
Yah - as we used to say in the car biz - 'there's an azz for every seat'.. laugh
The "Judge" is just not my flavor as a self-defense gun. It may be your favorite flavor, if it is, I would suggest trying a different one.
Never said it was.. Just that it's useful as one in certain circumstances, and that can be said about any handgun..

Ignoring that I don't believe for a minute that those "hot" .410 loads are "the stuff".....Gee Idunno - $14 for ten rounds vs $22 for 50 rounds of 230gr HP .45acp. And then there's the issue of practice ammo. I can make reloads that duplicate ballistics of carry loads for pretty cheap.

I'm sure you realize that most 230 gr 45ACP loads aren't much faster.. The .45LC in a modern handgun makes the .45ACP look like a peashooter..

Note that I'm just takin' the other side here for argument's sake. As with ANY firearm there are those that like 'em, and those that don't.. Glocks for example.. There are those here who fall to their knees every night at their Glock-shrine while I wouldn't have one if it was free.. laugh laugh

Many handguns are nearly worthless in certain situations, yet shine in others.. It's why there's a ton of various models in tons of various calibers..

Are you comparing those PDX loads to the 230gr hardball in an ACP?

Travis

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by ColsPaul
It's gotta be bettern a sharp stick!

You must have used some pretty schitty sharp sticks.

Travis

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
Lynn;

Buy it cheap. Trade it in on something worth having.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Y'all are hilarious..

There are Bobcat .22LRs used in self defense.. .25ACPs, .32ACPs.. All will work in the right circumstances..

But a Judge? Nah - worthless as sand in the Gobi, according to the essssperts.. Nope - only a .454Casull's worth a hill o' beans, or a Bowie knife ...

(Pokin' ribs here.. ) Heheheee..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Oh - I'm not saying the Judge is worthless. Just that there are way too many other guns I'd buy first, for whatever.

re: Comparing the PDX load with .45acp...Yes the 230gr loads generally aren't much faster - but they're 230gr, as opposed to three disk-like projectiles at maybe 60gr (?) a piece. I wouldn't even count the BB's. No comparison!

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Y'all are hilarious..

There are Bobcat .22LRs used in self defense.. .25ACPs, .32ACPs.. All will work in the right circumstances..

But a Judge? Nah - worthless as sand in the Gobi, according to the essssperts.. Nope - only a .454Casull's worth a hill o' beans, or a Bowie knife ...

(Pokin' ribs here.. ) Heheheee..
Coincidentally, the Judge is now available in 454 Casull. laugh

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

Are you comparing those PDX loads to the 230gr hardball in an ACP?

Travis
I'd rather compare your hardball to my Hornady Critical Defense 45 Colt's. One 45 to center mass followed by a Winchester to the noggin should do for most bad guys short of Bigfoot.

Most of y'all that are hatin' on the Judge probably secretly have one that you get out before you go to bed and fondle.

Last edited by ColeYounger; 01/24/12.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Oh - I'm not saying the Judge is worthless. Just that there are way too many other guns I'd buy first, for whatever.

re: Comparing the PDX load with .45acp...Yes the 230gr loads generally aren't much faster - but they're 230gr, as opposed to three disk-like projectiles at maybe 60gr (?) a piece. I wouldn't even count the BB's. No comparison!
I don't think Lee is comparing one disc to a hardball load. I took it that he's saying that the discs should penetrate just as well as 45 Hardball which nobody knocks.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I would suggest you not buying it for a good price only if someone would volunteer to stand 10ft in front of you while you unload 3 rounds into them showing you how ineffective the rounds are, heck they can even wear a leather jacket! After the smoke clears and they say "see what did I tell ya", I would then decline the sale.
You can even alter the rounds .410 buck shot , slug, then 45 LC

It may not be the ideal self defense gun, but it still will work.
Not a bad idea having a few (firearms) around the house in special hidden spots out of reach of your grandaughter JIC you need something right now and you are not near your main protective firearm.

So any volunteers?

Last edited by PAMac; 01/24/12.

If 'ya can't put hot sauce on it, it ain't worth eat'n....

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
The 'Judge' ???
- - - - - - - - -

Not many circumstances where I'd want to be shooting .410 shotgun shells out of a 'rifled' handgun barrel. Even if the Judge 'was' an extremely accurate handgun, it's just too big and butt-ugly.

It's so ugly I wouldn't be able to close my eyes and sleep at night - with 'that' sleeping next to me on the night stand.

Just compare the Judge to a Ruger Vaquero in 45 Colt ...
It's like 'Beauty and the Beast'.

(You can always shoot tight-grouping 45 Colt 'Shotshells' out ot the Vaquero anyway.)

Page 4 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

582 members (10ring1, 10gaugemag, 160user, 1234, 12344mag, 06hunter59, 61 invisible), 2,538 guests, and 1,348 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,179
Posts18,484,697
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.