Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
M
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
M
Take comfort in this: The election is not far away. The Senate will block almost any Supreme Court appointment that Obama makes between now and then.

If one of the conservative justices died, and Obama had the chance to swing the court, don't you think Harry Reid would, in one minute, take the nuclear option and have the Senate vote to change the rules so that a simple majority could confirm his nominee?

He would.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Jocko_Slugshot
We cannot thank George W. Bush enough for John Roberts and Samuel Alito.

Yep

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I would say that this is the best reason that anybody is better than Obama. The civil war in the republican primary is music to Obamas ears.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by McInnis
If one of the conservative justices died, and Obama had the chance to swing the court, don't you think Harry Reid would, in one minute, take the nuclear option and have the Senate vote to change the rules so that a simple majority could confirm his nominee?

He would.

Don't be ridiculous. Only in his dreams would he do that. And your nightmares. There is zero chance that he could pull that off, even if he tried.

Let's try to get real - no one here has a clue what Bammer's appointees might be. He might not even know himself at this point. These stories are always out there and yet, when the time comes, they are always proven wrong. This is another one of those.

Save an elk, shoot a cow.
N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
Originally Posted by BrentD
Originally Posted by McInnis

He would.

Don't be ridiculous. Only in his dreams would he do that. And your nightmares. There is zero chance that he could pull that off, even if he tried.

Let's try to get real - no one here has a clue what Bammer's appointees might be. He might not even know himself at this point. These stories are always out there and yet, when the time comes, they are always proven wrong. This is another one of those.

He wouldn't have to, Enough senators feel that "advise and consent" means determine if a perspective justice has the basic qualifications, If Obama is relected the Senate will Likely confirm most any Obama pick.

The collection of taxes which are not absolutely required, which do not beyond reasonable doubt contribute to public welfare, is only a species of legalized larceny. Under this Republic the rewards of industry belong to those who earn them. Coolidge
IC B2

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I doubt it. The Senate's Dem majority is more likely to shrink than grow and the Reps have shown themselves more than capable of stopping anything and everything that happens in the Senate. Not gonna happen, even if, and that's a huge IF, Bammer gets re-upped.

Save an elk, shoot a cow.
I
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I
Enough senators feel that "advise and consent" means determine if a perspective justice has the basic qualifications, If Obama is relected the Senate will Likely confirm most any Obama pick.
==========

I don't believe you're even close to plausible,noKnees.

The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
William Arthur Ward

Campfire Outfitter
Online Confused
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by denton
Take comfort in this: The election is not far away. The Senate will block almost any Supreme Court appointment that Obama makes between now and then.

Thank You for this post as I will now sleep soundly tonight. Amazing how far left BOs agenda is, just sickening........

GOA
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by derby_dude

Bush didn't pick them the people and the Republicans in Congress pick them. Remember Bush's first pick, Harriet Miers?

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

There is no doubt in my mind that Harry Reid would try it, if he thought he could swing it. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by denton

denton are you convinced we git rid of Obama?

I wish I was, but man he's built a war chest, and just sitting and waiting for the GOP to do his dirty work for him, whomever is left standing Romney or Newt it seems, he'll take up the fallen sword and continue slashing where their GOP counterpart left off. Plus he'll have free help from most of the MSM.

so you god fearin, Constitution lovin fellas spell it out for me

worst case scenario in my mind

O wins

he appoints 2 liberal gun hating lawyers like those named above or similar

Heller gets overturned, found not to be an individual right

economy gets worse and violence breaks out

POTUS says, "time to turn em in fellas, they're doing more harm than good, it's for the chirren, they're getting shot in the street" the law is on his side all the way to the Supremes (absent Diana Ross of course)

then whatcha gonna do when they come for you?

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Within the same vain of thought here, look at Gov. Christies picks for judges.

Gov. Chris Christie moved to diversify the state's all-white Supreme Court on Monday with two firsts: the nominations of an openly gay black man and a Korean-born prosecutor to fill two vacancies.

If confirmed, Bruce A. Harris would become New Jersey's first openly gay justice, and Phillip H. Kwon would become its first Asian representative and the first justice born outside the United States.

Christie, a Republican, said he had "extreme confidence" in the records and intellects of his nominees, neither of whom has been a judge.

"I felt strongly about making sure the court have diversity but first and foremost that the court have quality justices who make sure they take the court in a direction that is a responsible one for the future of our state and its people," Christie said at a news conference attended by the nominees and their families.

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
Originally Posted by isaac
Enough senators feel that "advise and consent" means determine if a perspective justice has the basic qualifications, If Obama is relected the Senate will Likely confirm most any Obama pick.
==========

I don't believe you're even close to plausible,noKnees.

Look at Kagen.. The Dems mustered 58 or 57 votes for her but they got plenty of Republicans to come along. Of course the vote for her isn't the real test. The real test was the cloture vote and that one wasn't even close.

Its true that the republicans might put up a fight before the election and certainly would in the lame duck session, but history shows few nominees voted down when the senate leadership is of the same party as the administration. After all if they loose just handful (McCain Snow and one more they are screwed.)

The collection of taxes which are not absolutely required, which do not beyond reasonable doubt contribute to public welfare, is only a species of legalized larceny. Under this Republic the rewards of industry belong to those who earn them. Coolidge
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by BrentD
I doubt it. The Senate's Dem majority is more likely to shrink than grow and the Reps have shown themselves more than capable of stopping anything and everything that happens in the Senate.

really....tell it to Kagan and Sotomajor.

Proudly representing oil companies, defense contractors, and firearms manufacturers since 1980. Because merchants of death need lawyers, too.
I
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I
All before the 2010 midterms though,IIRC.

The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
William Arthur Ward

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by derby_dude
Can we be sure that Romney or Newt would not pick someone just as bad?

Oh...like who?

Happy Trails!
NRA Life Member
E
EWY Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
In '08 many here, unsatisfied with the GOP candidates decided to sit on their hands to "teach America a lesson". I wonder how many will again refuse to vote and allow Obama to skew the SCOTUS?

Ernie

George Washington - �Labour to keep alive in your breast that little spark of celestial fire,�conscience.�

God save the Republic
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I wonder how many will again refuse to vote and allow Obama to skew the SCOTUS?

We have several here at the Campfire that say they will. frown miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
I wonder how many will call Romney "Electable", alienate anyone who balks at the notion that he doesn't suck, and then blame others when he goes down in flames, again, like McCain, Dole, GHW Bush, Etc. November 2010 should help clarify some things, but it won't, again.

Ignore very recent history at our peril. The premise that Romney is somehow the only legitimate choice & is being pimped by so many would be funny, if it wasn't so sad. As is the flawed idea that a primary process that goes to the end is somehow bad. Far from it.

"The Bigger the Government, the Smaller the Citizen" - Dennis Prager LINK

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by isaac
All before the 2010 midterms though,IIRC.

the GOP had enough votes to filibuster before or after 2010. If, God forbid, Obama were reelected, one hopes the Republicans in the Senate would dig in and fight these nominees to the last trench....against a massive media and paid advertising onslaught. A simple majority won't work because you can't count on the girls from Maine not to roll over and bark for the left.

Proudly representing oil companies, defense contractors, and firearms manufacturers since 1980. Because merchants of death need lawyers, too.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

609 members (1lessdog, 12344mag, 2500HD, 1234, 1_deuce, 17CalFan, 57 invisible), 2,381 guests, and 1,177 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,522
Posts18,491,050
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.