Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
F
fellas2 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
F
I'm currently compiling and extensive list during my winter gunroom cleanup that i'll be posting later this week.Mylist will contain everything from optics and stocks to ammo,brass,bullets and mounts.My dillema lies in shipping all of these packages and what to charge.I don't really want to make a profit on shipping but i don't want to lose money either.Being a trusting person at heart,would you ship the item first and then ask for the sale price to include actual shipping or just throw a number at it and hope for the best.By the way,my first transaction on the fire was a Rem 700 barreled action that was shipped before payment was made.

GB1

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I just estimate low on shipping and just include it in the price. FWIW.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Nope get a good idea what you need to ship, Use USPS flat rate if possible? You can get a good idea on UPS by putting in measurements and weight.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I believe the post office has a few boxes that are shipped for a specific price regardless of what is in them. I would check to see what those various boxes cost, and then charge accordingly.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I just figure it in the price, I am also more inclined to bid on adds that are priced "shipped".

IC B2

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Ship. I always list price as shipped.

Never understood XYZ $300 plus $25 shipping, just say $325 shipped.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Use the USPS Flat Rate boxes if at all possible, figure in the cost into the price. People like the price to include shipping , somehow makes it seem like a little sweeter deal.

NEVER NEVER ship before receiving payment. eek

Last edited by jnyork; 01/24/12.

[Linked Image]
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I've shipped early, and had folks ship early. I've sent personal checks and had folks wait until they clear before they'd ship.

Doesn't really matter to me one way or the other, pic a method based on your "feel" for the purchaser and let folks know up front what you want then keep the communication line open. I let folks know when payment is in the mail, I like to hear when payment has arrived and it's also nice to know when items actually ship. I like to know folks got paid on time and my money's not lost with the USPS and I also like to be able to plan for an items arrival.

Communication is the key.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
NEVER ship before recieving payment.
That said I always keep a variety of flat rate boxes on hand so I know if it will fit. I always factor in the price of a flat rate box and I always include shipping in any deal.

Seems we constantly hear about how Social Security is going to run out of money but we never hear about welfare or food stamps running out of money. What's interesting is the first group WORKED for their money but the other group didn't.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by horse1
let folks know up front what you want then keep the communication line open. I let folks know when payment is in the mail, I like to hear when payment has arrived and it's also nice to know when items actually ship. I like to know folks got paid on time and my money's not lost with the USPS and I also like to be able to plan for an items arrival.

Communication is the key.

Very good advice here. Also ALWAYS pay the small amount extra for delivery confirmation, just in case.

[Linked Image]
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've never shipped early but that's not to say I wouldn't.

The thing I wouldn't do however is advertise that I will ship early. You are almost certain to get some interest from less than honorable folks that way.

What about guns?When do we get guns?
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Long standing member with a good rep, don't have a problem shipping early.

I've done so and I've had the same done to me

But overall, it'd be more than likely better to just figure in your shipping or take a good guess.

Life is just one damned thing after another
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I will ship before receiving funds "IF" I know the buyer or have had prior dealing with them, but I would not make a practice of doing so to just anyone and everyone.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Ship before receiving payment ?

Just depends on WHAT the item is & WHO the buyer is.

Mike

Always talk to the old guys , they know stuff.

Jerry Miculek
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
I have shipped before receiving payment if I know who it is or if it is a small amount of money. BTW, according to my wife USPS flat rate shipping just went up. I don't know if it was across the board or just the flat rate.

�Nothing is so permanent as a temporary government program." -- Milton Friedman
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If the items are small, you can hardly go wrong on the USPS Flat Rate boxes (especially for bullets).

If they are larger items, I usually don't include shipping in the price, but I only charge actual shipping. My idea is that I don't want to charge someone $30 bucks to ship it to the next county, but I don't want to come up short $$ shipping something from South Texas to Maine. Once I know where I'm shipping it to, I don't have a problem boxing it up, weighing it, and estimating shipping charges on USPS or FedEx website.

My idea is that if I'm buying a high dollar item, I don't mind paying for insurance, tracking and Priority Mail or FedEx ground. I want to be sure it's going to arrive OK and within a reasonable time.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I have shipped before funds many times including today. Lots of people I have conversed or something else that makes sense to me.

MOLON LABE
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If you have 30-06, 270, 300 savage or 30-30 ammo or components I'd be interested.

And to your question, I'd ship if I knew the person. Of not I'll just list a "shipped" total price. Use UPS or usps website to estimate shipping costs.
Matt

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
I have shipped before receiving payment berefero, quite a few times. Look at the mebers time ont he board and posts. I havent gotten burned yet.

Sellers often forget that buyers are putting just as much faith in the seller when sending funds first.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Items that are priced to reflect shipping included seem to generate more interest and move quicker. Just my experience and observation.

As to shipping before receiving payment.... it depends. There is no hard and fast rules, and ultimately, you have decide for yourself what level of comfort you have with any given individual.

Personally, I don't ship until I'm in receipt of funds (generally USPS money order). However, I do make exceptions.

If the buyer and I have a history (bought and/or sold with one another a few times), I'll ship prior to receipt of funds.

If the buyer doesn't have a history with me, BUT has a history with someone on the board that I know and trust, I'll generally ship prior to receipt of payment.

There are also a handful of gentlemen on the board that I'd have absolutely no qualms with shipping prior to payment. Generally these are long time, well established members that have been participating on the boards for years, and based on the content of their posts one gets a feel for their honesty and trustworthiness.

Same applies to method of payment. I prefer USPS money orders, however, as outlined above, there are exceptions.

There's also Forum members that I absolutely would NOT sell to, let alone purchase from.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

176 members (66Block, 1OntarioJim, 30incher, AceBall, 257_X_50, 17 invisible), 1,111 guests, and 971 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,979
Posts18,519,934
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.