Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Just got back from west Texas hunting free range aoudad set up by mulie mike . This was a DIY hunt but Mike did give us plenty of help on where to look and how to hunt them.

We hunted two ranches that had to be over 20,000 acres combined. We easily put in 25-30 miles of hiking in 5 days of hunting. The terrain was a bit more rugged than I thought it would be. In 5 days we covered a lot of ground and saw 19 aoudad, 3 mule deer, 3 javelina, and one scrawny jack rabbit.

The views were unbelievable.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

If you look real close those aoudad just blend in to the surroundings.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

This one unfortunately walked out in the wrong colored background.

[Linked Image]

Several shots of around 350 yards ended his day, but not until he got one last bit of action with the gal he was with. I thought waiting for him to finish was the right thing to do.

[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v635/kodiakisland/DSC_8703.jpg[/img]

If you are looking for an aoudad hunt that is a real hunt, contact mulie mike and he will hook you up. You won't be disappointed. This was a really fun hunt that involved plenty of hiking and glassing. My cousin got his the last hour of the fifth day so we defintely got our money's worth. Thanks Mike for the great hunt.

Don't just be a survivor, be a competitor.
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
That's very cool. We did a hog hunt through MM a few weeks ago that worked out very well.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Very nice!! I'd love to do that very hunt. Auodad make great looking mounts. Pard killed a hoss of one in NM about 10yrs ago.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Awesome. I would love to do an Aoudad hunt in the future.

ddj

Many men go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. - Henry David Thoreau

The best part of hunting and fishing was the thinking about going and the talking about it after you got back. - Robert Ruark
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Neat! Would you be willing to spill the beans on the approximate cost?

1Minute
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Yeah, what was the private land access fee for that aoudad hunt and were those mule deer bucks or does you saw while hunting there?

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Congratulations on a fine sheep

I have great memories of my one and only Aoudad hunt. I will do another one in the future.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Cuius est solum, eius est usque ad caelum et ad inferos
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I know a lot of people have no interst in aoudad because the first thing that comes to mind is high fence. This hunting couldn't be further from a high fence operation. These aoudad are free to travel from Mexico, Texas, and New mexico without any hinderance.

This was definitely a harder hunt than any antelope hunt I've had and most whitetail hunts I've done. Game densities were low for all animals and there were huge areas for game to hide in. 5-6 miles a day of up/down hill hunting on rocky terrain was the norm. We left camp at sun up and returned after dark each day.

Add to that hunting in Jan when most other hunting is done is a bonus.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
The self guided fees don't look so bad!

Looks like a really fun hunt break up the suckiness of January. I'd go do that hunt in a heartbeat.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Is there any state licenses involved or just private landowner permission?

IC B3

J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Kodiakisland
I know a lot of poeple have no interst in aoudad because the first thing that comes to mind is high fence. This hunting couldn't be further from a high fence operation. These aoudad are free to travel from Mexico, Texas, and New mexico without any hinderance.

This was definitely a harder hunt than any antelope hunt I've had and most whitetail hunts I've done. Game densities were low for all animals and there were huge areas for game to hide in. 5-6 miles a day of up/down hill hunting on rocky terrain was the norm. We left camp at sun up and returned after dark each day.

Add to that hunting in Jan when most other hunting is done is a bonus.

You nailed it. Free range is the only way to fly. It's a spot and stalk hunter's dream.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
I am LOVIN those pics! What a great experience...

I've GOT to do that someday...

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Prices may have changed some as we booked this about 9 months ago, but we had around $1350 in the hunt each, including fuel, food, license, and land access.

Here is a better close up.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Gosh, that's a really nice barbary sheep. I'd like to kill one of those one of these days. Darn that's a nice sheep !!!

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Pretty nice sheep. Congrats.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Congrats, that a good sheep. High Fence sheep hunting is a sin.

Toby Joe

G
GRF Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Very cool, thanks for sharing. GRF

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Just some thoughts about if you do one of these hunts with Mike or some other similar place.

We borrowed a pop up camper which worked well. It did get a bit chilly at night as the lows were in the low 30's most nights. The heater in the camper didn't work so it was cool sleeping. I should have taken my cold weather sleeping bag. We were a bit worried about getting the camper to the camp site. The road beat the hell out of it, but the owner told me to treat it like my own.

We drove an extended cab 3/4 ton 4wd diesel. A short wheel base 4WD would have been a lot better. My FJ or blazer would have been ideal. The 3/4 ton suspension beat the hell out of us on the rough roads and the truck was too long for some of the tight turns in the washes. It was also a bit heavy in the sand with the skinny tires. I could see a polaris ranger actually having a use there. There were plenty of large rocks in the washes so good clearance is a must.

Take sunscreen. Even in the winter the sun is brutal there. Have good boots. My meindl Islands were not over kill at all. I can't imagine doing that hunt with cheap boots.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Good tip on the sunscreen. I'm going in a couple weeks, and would've forgot to take that. Congrats on a fine Aoudad, and good shootin'.

Originally Posted by archie_james_c
I should have just
bought a [bleep] T3...

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Kodiak Island:

That's really good information. Thanks.

Rob

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

628 members (12344mag, 16penny, 17CalFan, 1beaver_shooter, 06hunter59, 160user, 62 invisible), 2,374 guests, and 1,310 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,137
Posts18,484,034
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.