-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
OP Offline
Hi everyone!

I am brand-spanking new to this forum, and I just wanted to introduce myself. Everything I've read so far regarding horses and mules has been fascinating.

Although I've been riding horses my whole life, it was only last summer that I experienced my first backcountry horseback ride and camp out. I spent four days freezing my saddlebags off in the Uintas of Utah, and I loved every second of it. The packing bug bit me and held fast!

Although it was incredibly fun, the young men who took me were a tad bit unprepared. They're good friends of mine, and they claimed they were skilled and experienced campers. However, they each only started riding more frequently in the past year: �Boy A�s� mother purchased a few nice trail horses for her family, and�after years of unfulfilled cowboy dreams��Boy B� began leasing a fun Arab cross gelding that he gets along with famously. I wasn�t exactly necessary, as I�d never even been camping before (and certainly never with horses), but I had given them their first few lessons on horseback, and they trusted me to give them a hand in a tough spot. They wanted me along in case they encountered any equine-related problems they couldn�t handle. As I didn't have a horse of my own, I rode "Boy A's" mother's 13.1 hand Welsh/Quarter cross. She is 5'0", and I'm 5'7". Tug the palomino power pony and I looked a little silly, but he was the toughest of the lot of us. The saddle I rode in was a synthetic, and a little uncomfortable--but that was the least of my worries.

Because of some miscommunication between the two boys, neither one brought along the proper cooking equipment, nor enough water. They each managed to forget a few essential tools and toiletries as well. �Boy A� even forgot to bring the sleeping bag he'd promised to lend me, and I had to share his with him to keep from freezing. The cynical soul in me thinks he may have orchestrated that bit on purpose, but I suppose I'll never know. Then again, I'm a little plain-looking to start with, and my looks certainly did not improve any during the trip, so he came away with the bad end of that deal. wink

Anyway, after I got back from the mountains I searched for websites concerning backcountry horse rides, and how to prepare for them. I found the Backcountry Horseman site for my region, but I wanted to find a forum for discussion as well. I joined a popular horse training forum, and have languished there patiently for all these many months. However, the snarky, immature attacks and high levels of barn-witchiness have taken their toll (as well as the know-it-all-girls who have watched enough episodes of the �Heartland� television series to believe they �have a gift� with horses), so I began to search elsewhere for tips, insights and wisdom.

That search led me here! Thankfully, the members of this forum are filled to the brim with common sense. I�ve read every horse/mule related post so far, and each one was packed with information and entertainment. SaddleSore, you have me itching to ride a long-ear!

Are there any books out there that specifically cover the preparation of horses and mules for hunting and pack trips? �Boy B� has offered to take me hunting near his best friend�s ranch in Colorado. We can bring our own horses! Of course, that won�t be until I feel that we can properly train the horses for the rigors of a �real� hunting and pack trip, unlike our former fiasco of disorganization. How do I go about finding someone experienced to train with? There are plenty of show trainers around the Salt Lake area of Utah, but I want to find someone who can detail the practical elements of horse care in the mountains. The only people I can think of with practical knowledge are ranchers, and I just don�t think they�d have the time or interest to teach me the basics.

If you�ve read all this, you�re a saint. Thanks for any help you can give! [Linked Image]

If you are not willing to go back every day and start over, you should not have started to begin with--because, you might have to start over a lot of days in a row before it carries over from one day to the next. BUCK BRANNAMAN
GB1

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Welcome SM. That sounded like quite a trip, but I bet he forgot the sleeping bag on purpose grin. From your photo, you don't look "plain" to me,and I'm 69 yrs old. whistle

One book you might get is Horse Packing in Pictures by Francis Davis.
Another one is by Smoke Elzer.

Here is good read about packing,etc.

http://www.packsaddleshop.com/packingtips.html

It is always best to do the packing training at home and not on the side of a mountain.
Using horses or mules in packing and hunting envolves a whole new set of problems.Bad things can and do happen and they happen fast in the back country or at the trial head,and many times medical attention is hours away.Saftey should be paramount in all cases and at least one person should be presnt that has some rudimentary knowlegde about horse packing and equine care/feeding the the back country.
Do it long enough and you or a horse is going to suffer some type of injury. Just hope it is not too serious.

If you are going to get involved in this,you need good equipment,both in the saddle you ride and the sawbuck or deckers you pack. Don't settle for any of the panniers that fit over a riding saddle if you are serious about this.They will do in a pinch.

Your riding saddle needs to fit you and the horse. Riding miles in rugged steep mountainous terrain is much differnt than easy trail riding,and many times hunting,one needs to "bushwhack' where there is no trail.

One thing you might do if you have the free time is find an outfitter that will take you on as an apprentice for the season. There are also schools that you can attend and/or packing seminars.

Here is a web site that has a school.

http://www.royaltine.com/forum/index.php

Here are other sites with a group of good folks that you can ask questions about it.

http://nismc.com/forum/index.php

http://www.sagecreekforums.com/phpforum/viewforum.php?f=86&sid=6b2e12ed5699f1d29ca9acf6b809ce77

Try Googling about horse packing seminars/schools, etc.

For some good entertaining reading,you might try some of the Howard Copenhaver books.

Good luck.

Last edited by saddlesore; 01/25/12.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
[Linked Image]

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Welcome. I don't have horses but I do my packing with llamas. Except for walking instead of riding, the packing part is about the same.
Since you're new at it, here's a book I can recommend: "Packin' in on Mules and Horses" by Elser & Brown. You can get it used at Amazon for about $12. They cover about every aspect of dealing with horses in the back country.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
welecome!!! glad to have you here. you can also try this site out if you want.
http://www.fourcornerstrails.com/forum/index.php?sid=4d74c2fec942e9e81b7c6853d127f76c
May not have a lot of info on packing, but there are folks probably local to you there.

Life is but the memories we've created.....Sully Erna
IC B2

U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
Welcome! Good to have a feminine face here. Am glad you made it thru your trip, the rest will be easier! Another "how to" book that I found worthwhile is "The Packer's Field Manual" by Bob Hoverson. Made some things easier for me to grasp. Enjoy the wild country!
Cheers

"The more I am around people the better I like my dog." Mark Twain
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Welcome, Sedona. You've already improved the scenery here by over 100%. Plain-looking!? Good grief, wait until you see some more photos of the guys on this forum. The classic packing books have already been recommended to you, but there are guys here who can answer just about any question you have.

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Originally Posted by ironbender
[Linked Image]

The original Bible.

"Be sure you're right. Then go ahead." Fess Parker as Davy Crockett
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
I've read Elser and I agree with much but disagree with an item or two. I'm not saying who's right but all packers do a few things differently and they are never wrong... well, except for that Indian in British Columbia who couldn't pack for beans.
Anyway SM, do a little reading, a lot of riding and when you're around the right people, pay attention. You'll have a lot of fun.

"Be sure you're right. Then go ahead." Fess Parker as Davy Crockett
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Good to meet you...now let's ride.

Come ride with me:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TESC4n_hVQo

Attached Images
let's go.jpg (55.9 KB, 164 downloads)
Last edited by DWmontana; 01/25/12.
IC B3

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Ah, a little Dave Stamey. Good for the soul. Todo vivo esta aqui.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by toltecgriz
I'm not saying who's right but all packers do a few things differently and they are never wrong...

Nutshell.

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by SedonaMare
I joined a popular horse training forum, and have languished there patiently for all these many months. However, the snarky, immature attacks and high levels of barn-witchiness have taken their toll (as well as the know-it-all-girls who have watched enough episodes of the �Heartland� television series to believe they �have a gift� with horses), so I began to search elsewhere for tips, insights and wisdom.

Makes me wonder if some of these nuts I run into around here belong to that forum, they would fit right in. laugh You should like it here, good western oriented common sense horse knowledge from people who actually use their horses on this site. Another nice thing about this forum,{horseatv forum} there is no dumb question, no snide remarks, nobody want to hear of any one getting hurt.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by mtrancher
Ah, a little Dave Stamey. Good for the soul. Todo vivo esta aqui.

You betcha...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rh0DQ80kZoY

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
"Horse whisperers"....Laffin...There are quite a few at the
barn where I board my horses.....

George

"Hunting, fishing, roping, working, sleeping, eating. Not always in that order."
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Welcome to the campfire, pull up a stump, kick back an try not to set your hair on fire like me... i don't have any useful info but i always like to welcome new members. ps. ion't think your plain either, and i'm a seventeen y/o from orlando.

"8mm rem mag, reach out n' touch something"

"Those who say the .223 is weak probably have never heard of the "meat grinder".

SEMPER FI

Head practical joke coordinator of the turd-like people (aka the chitmonks)
OP Offline

Thank you all so much for the recommendations, and for welcoming me to your fire! I already feel at home.

SaddleSore, I am going to follow your advice and find someone to apprentice with first before I take on a project like training alone. You are absolutely right: safety is paramount. Thanks for the compliment, too! I�m sure you�ve had your share of �buckle-bunnies� as well, so it means a lot to me!

MTRancher�all the pictures I�ve seen are of handsome cowboys. Certainly a lot better than the boys I�ve met in the city..

DW, thanks for the song! I�m going to have to look up more of that man�s music. Love your horse, too!

George and Pat�there seem to be more �Horse Whisperers� around then riders. I�ve found that the very best horsemen I�ve ever met have never once claimed to be able to whisper to horses. They let the horse do all the �talking,� and then listen to him. I don�t think Tom Dorrance claimed he had some mystical connection�he could just listen better than anyone else. I�d much rather discuss horses with men and women who use them�for work, recreation, or what have you�than with those who want to make a name for themselves as a spiritual advisor or guru to the horse. Too �New Age� for me, and they charge more money than Ms. Cleo�

Thanks, Piero! I�ll try not to let my hair burn, nor anything else attached to me.

Thanks again, everyone. I have a lot of reading to do!

If you are not willing to go back every day and start over, you should not have started to begin with--because, you might have to start over a lot of days in a row before it carries over from one day to the next. BUCK BRANNAMAN
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
A bit off topic, but if any of you are interested in a story about a real war horse, I recommend WARRIOR - The Amazing Story of a Real War Horse by General Jack Seely. A first-class little hardcover book with quality paper, readable text, and superb illustrations, not to mention an amazing story.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by piero
ps. ion't think your plain either, and i'm a seventeen y/o from orlando.

Ease up ya overachiever!
smile

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Welcome to the forum.
Feel free to ask as many questions as you like, while no one here has all the answers, together everyone can give a bit to make a whole lot of good information to help with most any problem or query you might have.

The original international turd
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

507 members (12344mag, 01Foreman400, 16gage, 17CalFan, 160user, 16penny, 52 invisible), 2,767 guests, and 1,272 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,493
Posts18,490,429
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.