Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
N
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
N
I was all excited and getting ready to pull the trigger on a new bolt but when I called them they said they're CM and not SS. Bummer

In the end the product would have been better, I'm sure, but the total price was going to be +$120 after selling the factory bolt for ~$175ish and then it would need coated and assembled (which I might could do myself).

I'll make some calls on cost of cerakoting a bolt and give it some thought.

GB1

A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
Most bolts are CM I only know of one maker that uses SS to make 1 pc bolts, Stainless on stainless is not a great combination as galling can happen, really is no downside to a CM bolt!

If you want SS here ya go!
http://www.competitiveedgegunworks.com/Floated_Action.html

Last edited by Ackleyfan; 01/27/12.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by Hondo64d
Flip the 700 for $300 to $350 and you're well into custom action territory.

John

shall we look at resale value of a reworked factory action compared to a custom action?

ML

My biggest fear is when I die my wife sells all my gear for what I said I paid for it.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by gene270
I think i would save that bolt money and remington action money and buy a custom action for about the same money

gene

the only downside to a remington Vs' a custom action is after spending all that money reworking it... it is still a remington!

ML

My biggest fear is when I die my wife sells all my gear for what I said I paid for it.
N
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
N
not planning on spending much on truing the action...

mainly just weighing the ~$100 on firing pin bushing vs an aftermarket bolt. it's the little things that are adding up sick

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Originally Posted by nimrod1949
I was all excited and getting ready to pull the trigger on a new bolt but when I called them they said they're CM and not SS. Bummer

In the end the product would have been better, I'm sure, but the total price was going to be +$120 after selling the factory bolt for ~$175ish and then it would need coated and assembled (which I might could do myself).

I'll make some calls on cost of cerakoting a bolt and give it some thought.

Cerakoting the bolt will make it sticky and never be nice and slick.

I have been using the Dyna Tek Gun Shield for a year now on my personal guns and all customer guns and can say it is the best way I have found to protect a CM bolt and keep the action slicker than snot.

I recommend oven curing but it would be very easy to do in a standard kitchen over.

Rick Bin sells this stuff here on 24hr and the bore coating gets most of the attention but I really like the Gun Shield.

In a lot of applications it simply blows Cerakote away and you guys can do it in comfort of your own home. This stuff will work on springs, extractors, ejectors, cocking pieces, cocking cams, extraction cams, scope ring screws, base screws ect.

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
Good info ...I have a few bolts that I would like to coat, is the product just wiped on like a rust prevenative?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Ackleyfan
Good info ...I have a few bolts that I would like to coat, is the product just wiped on like a rust prevenative?

Degrease and apply with a QTip.

It will run and follow threads or springs. 2 or 3 coats and 350 degrees for an hour.

It is the real deal.

If you are careful to keep an even coat it will go right over bluing and give Cerakote level saltwater spray protection.

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Originally Posted by Mntngoat
Originally Posted by Hondo64d
Flip the 700 for $300 to $350 and you're well into custom action territory.

John

shall we look at resale value of a reworked factory action compared to a custom action?

ML

That's kinda what I was getting at. Apparently he got into the 700 for really cheap. If that's the case, he could flip it for $300 to $350, actually making a little profit and put that toward a custom. If you count all the bells and whistles, including the PT&G bolt, he would have done to the 700, he could be into a custom for nearly the same money.

John

If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

513 members (1OntarioJim, 007FJ, 1Longbow, 1moredeer, 160user, 10Glocks, 42 invisible), 2,304 guests, and 1,139 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,395
Posts18,469,994
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.