-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Ever since the Army move me to Alaska in 2006, I've been an avid reader of all things Alaskana. I particularly enjoy books about the lives of some of the early Alaskan settlers during the years of military build up and gold rush days.

Frank Glaser was one of those early pioneers and he was an extraordinary man who had some amazing experiences while becoming the recognized expert on wolves in the greatland.

Jim Rearden does a fantastic job of telling Glaser's tales. I highly recommend it.

"Noone has a more intimate understanding of, or deeper appreciation for freedom than a soldier who has fought for it in a country where it does not exist."
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've bought three of em as they never get returned.....a great read.

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by VernAK
I've bought three of em as they never get returned.....a great read.

Hah, sounds familiar! I loaned my copy to a Lieutenant in my unit over a year ago. I'm thinking I may have to pick up another copy myself. grin

"Noone has a more intimate understanding of, or deeper appreciation for freedom than a soldier who has fought for it in a country where it does not exist."
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Matt,

Great book! I've talked to two different old timers who knew Glaser personally. Both vouched that he was the real deal, a natural hunter, and tough as nails. I've re-read it several times. Another one you'd like is Alaska Yukon Trophies Won and Lost. It's in an affordable paperback reprint, thank goodness, otherwise an original would set you back a bit.

Hi Vern!

Jeff

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Thanks for the tip Jeff, I'll keep my eyes open for that!

It's neat to make a connection with someone who actually knew him. I'm a member of another Alaska - based forum where I've talked with a friend of another fascinating Alaskan - Dick Proeneke. I believe it was Jim Reardon who wrote the book One Man's Wilderness about Proeneke's 30+ years living along on the edge of Twin Lakes in a cabin he built by hand at age 51.

Last edited by AlaskanMatt; 01/16/12.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
He lived in Alaska's prime time and did what we all wish we could do.

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Indeed! I'm currently reading about a more modern - day woodsman who just might be the most remote living person on earth. The Final Frontiersman is about Heimo Korth and his family who live in the Alaskan bush today, and their nearest neighbor is over 100 miles away. It's another good read so far, by Heimo's cousin, James Campbell.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Glad to see your out and about Jeff.

Yes, I too have talked to folks that knew Glaser and they had the same opinion. I've roamed a lot of that country that Glaser trapped/hunted and I often think of his comments.

There must have been a pile of sheep in the Granite Mountains by Black Rapids back then.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Matt,

Any time. Keep your eyes peeled on the public TV station KAKM in Anchorage, as they usually air a great documentary on Proeneke every year. The DVD is also available to buy. If I can find a link to it, I'll post it.

BTW, thank you, for your service.

Jeff

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Good to see you as well, Vern! I to, think back to the book on Glaser, when traveling in country he roamed. Black Rapids in particular. Sure would have been cool to have hunted Alaska in his era.

Jeff

IC B3

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by akjeff
Matt,

Any time. Keep your eyes peeled on the public TV station KAKM in Anchorage, as they usually air a great documentary on Proeneke every year. The DVD is also available to buy. If I can find a link to it, I'll post it.

BTW, thank you, for your service.

Jeff

I have his video, and I've just about worn out the part of my hard drive where it's saved. I found another one on Amazon though, and I'll be ordering that one in a week or so. It looks to be another documentary type video done of his later years at the cabin.

Here's a link to Alone in the Wilderness Part II on Aamazon:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0058JN4X8...id=I2V1K5X8BZULOG&colid=K4NXNE28QA9F

It looks like there's a four DVD collection you can get there too - I might just go ahead and order that one.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Glad to hear you're already hip to the Proeneke videos! Good stuff.

Jeff

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
FYI, One Man's Wilderness - An Alaskan Odyssey is *by Sam Keith from the journals and photographs of Richard Proenneke*.
Right off the title page in front of me. I received the book for Christmas a couple years ago.

Another you might be interested in is Alaska's No. 1 Guide: The History and Journals of Andrew Berg - 1869-1939

Talk about tough. There was the time as a game warden, it was too rough to beach his row boat at Anchor Point, so he anchored and slept in the bottom of the boat off shore until the next day.

Or, the time Andrew messed up his hand and he was ROWED from Tustumena Lake to Kodiak because they heard the cannery there had a doctor.

Last edited by ironbender; 01/25/12.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Another book by Reardon that is a fun read is The Wolves Of Alaska. It's a "novelized" story set in the 70s during the Unit 20 aerial wolf program. There is a lot of wolf:moose biology in it with fictional characters added to make a novel.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Thanks for the info Ironbender, I suppose I could have looked up the author but I had a touch of lazy that day. I'll keep and eye out for the others you mentioned too.

So rowboats in the ocean huh? These days everyone calls you nuts if you don't have at least a 25" cabin cruiser for salt water. That one I definitely have to read!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'm currently reading the book about Heimo Korth and found this 52 minute video about him. Kind of interesting how he allows a few city slickers to see his world.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WIzrw0jsAJw

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The Heimo Korth story is well worth reading and watching.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Mike,

I've read the book on Berg, and it's a good one! As you said....tough with a capitol T!

Jeff

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Jeff,
I've passed on my Berg book to a buddy but there is a paragraph in there about Berg lengthening [or maybe shortening] the stroke of his one-lunger Evinrude with a few basic tools.

I'm first to admit I'm not a master mechanic but that one puzzled me as to how he did that.....any ideas?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Vern,

I've passed on my Berg book as well!

I'll have to look for that paragraph, if I get my mitts on another copy. That's a head scratcher. I'm no mechanical genius either. Don't know how you could change the stroke without also altering the con rod? Bush folks have pulled off some amazing feats while making do, with what they have. That's for damn sure!

Bet it's damn cold up your way? -18F here in ER. Plenty cold for this area.

Jeff

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

604 members (007FJ, 160user, 12344mag, 16penny, 17CalFan, 06hunter59, 56 invisible), 2,400 guests, and 1,297 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,141
Posts18,484,085
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.