Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
I have cabela's "Silent Suede Dry Plus" parka and really like it, but one cuff area is wrapped in camo duct tape because I got it too close to a propane heater.
So, I'm thinking about getting a new one while they are having sales. I notice another parka called "Whitetail Extreme TO50" and a new one called "Stand Hunter Extreme"?

From the guys who have experience with any of these do you have preferences, which one you like and why?

This parka is for late season cold weather whitetail stand hunting in Canada, Kansas, and possibly other mid-west states.
Thanks, in advance

Last edited by StrayDog; 01/16/12.
GB1

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
I have the whitetail extreme and if it were mine to do again, I would likely just buy the Dick's Field &Stream for about 30% of the cost.

Its heavy, has too many pockets, not enough insulation. I bout it 50% off and still paid way too much.

The collection of taxes which are not absolutely required, which do not beyond reasonable doubt contribute to public welfare, is only a species of legalized larceny. Under this Republic the rewards of industry belong to those who earn them. Coolidge
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
WT extreme is better than the Cables 4:1 - got both so I know.

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Try their $300 Gore-Tex coveralls, love mine.

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by NJelksmacker
Try their $300 Gore-Tex coveralls, love mine.
Gore Tex ain't worth a schit in cold weather. Might as well be wearing a tinfoil suit for how damned noisy it is. I won't buy anything online. Gotta be able to give it the old pen scratch test to see how quiet-or not it's gonna be in the brush. Most won't pass the test except for wool or fleece. Lotsa pockets is a good thing, so long as they're engineered to actually hold stuff without falling out when you bend over and don't have any damn velcro closures ANYWHERE. I swear the stupid bastards that design hunting clothes have never been hunting in their lives and don't have a friggin' clue.

IC B2

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I have one of their wooltimate jackets with windshear. Bought it on the 'fire btw. Very warm well made jacket. Not to bulky and does not have any kind of funky smell like some clothing has.

A man's got to know his limitations!
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
I have been burned by Cabelas on a few Clothing purchases...too heavy,too noisy or just poor design on a couple of items. I would definitely want to try it out and feel the fabric before putting down serious bucks.

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
I have a lot of Cabelas clothing.

The ultimate stand hunter jacket and bibs is unbelievably warm. Almost too warm. This set is for stand hunting only. Too bulky for walking around.If you are going to sit in extreme cold weather this is the set you need. Lot's of pockets and very heavy.

The late season winter jacket and bibs is not for late winter at all. Not water resistant and not very warm at all. I use this set as a general all purpose when it is dry and not too cold. No pockets.

I also have the older gore tex and thinsulate blaze orange camo jacket and bibs. this set is almost indestructable. No longer offered it repells water and keeps me warm and dry in the worst weather. Lot's of pockets. This set is over 15 years old and on it's last legs. The new blaze orange set they sell is not offered in tall and does not have many pockets.

My kids have the Dry Suede jacket and bibs. A very good set for the money and the occasional hunter. Repels water but not very warm. They don't hunt as much as me so it is fine for them.

I think I am going to buy the MT050. The standard jacket and bibs not the jacket with the removable vest. I tried it on in the store and it was too bulky. The MT050 is on sale until February some time.

I have always been happy with the quality of Cabelas clothing but try to buy only on sale.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Mike,

I have the MT050 Whitetail Extreme parka and pants.
It's pretty good stuff - very warm and lots of pockets.

I've worn it for all day sits in very cold temps. While I do like it, if I'm not anticipating heavy moisture, I now use a down jacket and Rab primaloft pants. I stay warmer and don't feel like I'm wearing a lead suit. grin

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by SKane
Mike,

I have the MT050 Whitetail Extreme parka and pants.
It's pretty good stuff - very warm and lots of pockets.

I have one also and agree with Scott. Good coat and great pockets for stashing stuff and keeping your hands warm. Bulky & heavy but it has to be.

I'm on my second one, the first one kind of gave me a scare. I was hunting and had the zipper lock up. It was way up towards my neck, had to take it off like a sweater! Pretty hairy situation for a minute or so, quick thinking under pressure is were I excel. (NOT)

Cabela's sent me a replacement very quick and mailed it to my buddies hunting camp to make sure I had it for the weekend!!

IC B3

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Originally Posted by lawnman
I have one of their wooltimate jackets with windshear. Bought it on the 'fire btw. Very warm well made jacket. Not to bulky and does not have any kind of funky smell like some clothing has.

Another vote for the wooltimate. That is the warmest jacket that I own and the quietest. If it is above 45 degrees it is almost too hot.

S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
Is the MTO50 cloth very quiet? Also, is the lining made of soft cloth or slick nylon/polyester?
Thanks

Good comments from all, I had not previously known much about the wooltimate series.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Mike,

Mine is at least 8 years old so I cannot speak to the current but the lining in my version is extremely soft cloth. And, it's pretty quiet. I've worn the stuff for late season bowhunting and I won't accept a noisy wearable that has the potential to bugger a deer.

FWIW, I know you like to sache north of the border, I'd choose the MTO50 Whitetail Extreme over the wooltimate for the insulation alone.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
Yes, I'm leaning towards the MTO50, it looks like it fits the bill for stand hunting, and I like a soft cloth interior they seem to cling a little better and more efficient/less drafts.

Also, like lots of pockets in an all day stand parka, whats not to like?
Thanks Scott, and everyone,
Mike

Last edited by StrayDog; 01/17/12.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
If you want a cold weather parka--go to NORTHERN OUTFITTERS. Good stuff.

S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
I have been told northern outfitters make excellent arctic boots and clothing for working in freezer plants etc. But their clothing items don't do real good against wind. They are suppose to be coming out with a new line next year. Maybe the new stuff will have a wind shear membrane.

G
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
G
I have the Cabela's MT050� Extreme-Weather 7-in-1 Parka. I was out in 10 degree temp with 15mph wind and didn't get cold. This coat is made for real cold weather hunting. It seems a little heavy and the lining seems slightly noisy. Other than that is a good cold weather coat. its on sale now too.

link to coat

Don't limit your challenges
Challenge your limits
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Originally Posted by gutthooked
I have the Cabela's MT050� Extreme-Weather 7-in-1 Parka. I was out in 10 degree temp with 15mph wind and didn't get cold. This coat is made for real cold weather hunting. It seems a little heavy and the lining seems slightly noisy. Other than that is a good cold weather coat. its on sale now too.

link to coat

I was thinking of that jacket but it felt bulky/heavy.

I have the ultimate stand hunter for the extreme cold.

I think I will go with the standard MT050 jacket and bibs in tall.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Do they have to make everything in camo? I'd love to just have it in brown or OD green, heck even blaze.

Camp is where you make it.
N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Blackheart--feel the material on the Gore-Tex coveralls before you make comments about something you know nothing about. They are quite, wind and waterproof!

Last edited by NJelksmacker; 01/28/12.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

728 members (10Glocks, 12savage, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 10gaugeman, 1234, 78 invisible), 3,013 guests, and 1,515 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,737
Posts18,475,993
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.