Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Hmmm. Really?

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

GB1

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
A good solid bullet with consideration of staying away from the shoulder unless carrying a stout caliber. Many of the previously mentioned calibers.

The bear my daughter killed with the 7mm-08 w/ 140g NP did the same bang flop as mine did with the 338 win w/225 gr.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Cuius est solum, eius est usque ad caelum et ad inferos
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Ruger270man: I have had good luck/results with my Remington 700 S/A with a lightweight McMillan stock - in caliber 308 Winchester.
I use the wonderful Nosler 165 grain Partition in this Rifle.
If you have a couple 270 Winchester Rifles around then that caliber works well on Black Bear as well in my experience.
The last 270 killed Black Bear I was in on took place in a high alpine Blueberry patch near the Diobsud Buttes of western Washingtons Cascade Range.
I was sitting right next to my long time friend Larry Franklin when a Blackie came out of the scrub brush and into the berry patch about 400 yards below us.
It was Larry's first Black Bear opportunity and I leaned over and began telling him the Bear was walking towards us and to let him come closer when he touched off one shot killing that Bear virtually in its tracks!
IIRC he was using the Nosler 150 grain Partitions that day.
Best of luck with whichever caliber you choose.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I shot my first black bear with a .32 Special and was amazed at how hard he was to take off his feet. I know I emptied my gun at twenty yards before he was dead. Since then I've normally carried a .30-06 or .45-70 for bear.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Depending on range, a revolver and/or pistol makes for a pretty poor bear hunting weapon. I once had a client who hunted interior mountain grizzly with me and he shot his record book grizzly bear with a .44 handgun (revolver). However, we were within bow range and that was all the difference we needed.

IC B2

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by huntem
A good solid bullet with consideration of staying away from the shoulder unless carrying a stout caliber. Many of the previously mentioned calibers.

IMO, one reason to use A-1 bullets is to not only not worry about bone, but to directly target bones.

Often, it is mentioned to shoot a critter in the shoulder. This can be pretty nebulous. It can mean an area of muscle, it can mean scapula, and it can mean "shoulder joint" or the point of the shoulder.

For me, a quarter-towards is the ideal position for which to shoot a bear. Bang that shoulder joint and have the bullet track into the vitals. The bear hits the ground where it's standing and dies quickly.

The .gif I posted above is pretty accurate and is worth studying.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Maverick940
Depending on range, a revolver and/or pistol makes for a pretty poor bear hunting weapon.

Depending on range, a revolver and/or pistol makes for the perfect bear hunting weapon.
smile

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Precisely. That's why I added the little tale about the grizzly bear client.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Of course, Craig Medred didn't do so well with a .454 pressed against a bear's head while it was on top of him and chewing on him. So, one never knows ......

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Maverick940
Of course, Craig Medred didn't do so well with a .454 pressed against a bear's head while it was on top of him and chewing on him. So, one never knows ......

Link?

Never read that story.

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I don't have the Anchorage Daily News link pertaining to Craig's misadventure with the female brown bear, but you might find it on their website by typing in his name and the event; "Craig Medred Brown Bear Attack". It was back in the early 90's - fall of 1991 or 1992.

In a nutshell, what occurred was that he surprised a bear near Russian River while hunting moose in the fall and she grabbed him. She chewed a few holes in him. So, he unlimbered the .454 and put the muzzle against her skull and pulled the trigger. She dropped Craig and took off. Troopers never did find that bear.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Well if you are sitting on bait, like I did in Maine, a Marlin 30-30 with an Aimpoint, would work very very well, I know first hand on that, for spot and stalk, something a little flatter shooting might be in order, say a 7 x 57 or something along those lines. Just one thing spring bear hunting over bait, bring plenty of bug dope, and a head net.

"Any idiot can face a crisis,it's the day-to-day living that wears you out."

Anton Chekhov

I
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I
8 year old Pennsylvania gal,hunting with her granddad,killed her 600 plus pounder with a 243.

The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
William Arthur Ward

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Originally Posted by olblue
Originally Posted by ironbender
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
You are an instigator! You want me to pull out the pictures of the 8'6" Kodiak bear with the see-through bones? Is that it? You are just looking for trouble!

wink wink wink

Why, yes I am!

I haven't seen those pics in a while and actually would like to see them again. For reference, mostly. To put things in perspective, so to speak.

Me TOO. grin

Didn't you get a disc with all the pictures of YOUR bear?!? wink

Art,
You're right I do have a disc. Is this the one you're looking for. whistle --- Mel
[Linked Image]

The only thing I'm an expert at is my own opinion, and I have plenty of those!
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
Spring bear, ~450lbs, .25-06 and 100gr TSX

[Linked Image]

And very open country... New Brunswick isn't! There are exceptions but mostly it's heavy forest, especially in central and northern. Depends where. (I'm a native of N.B.)

I'd get that info from the outfitter. If a bear gets away even 100 yards (depending on conditions)on the edge of darkness, it could be lost. Does the outfitter have dogs for locating a downed bear? Very important in heavy brush.

If heavy brush, I'd use something like a .45-70 or .444 Marlin. Then again, I've seen more .300's and even .338 magnums in bear camps in my neck of the woods than most anything else. Been in Ontario for the past 25 years. 99.9% of those hunters are from south of the border (that's the Canadain border, not the American one grin)

Bob

www.bigbores.ca

"What shall it profit a man if he gain the whole world and lose his own soul" - Jesus

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I remember another picture with the bone a bit more cleaned up than that???

But you certainly can see the knife blade behind the bone...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Photoshop!!!

heh.

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
As the range of suggestions in this thread demonstrates, there's no shortage of good calibers for black bears if you follow two simple rules:

- Use a stout bullet
- Put it in the right spot

I'd wager that, over time, more black bears have probably been killed with the lowly 30-30 than with any other cartridge. I killed my first one with a 30-30, in fact. I killed my last one with a .338 RCM -- not because I had to, but because I chose to.

The more one hunts large, hairy animals, the more one tends to move toward heavier calibers/cartridges that improve the odds of anchoring an animal on the spot and permitting an easier recovery. Depending on the terrain you're hunting, that can be a significant consideration.

If you're fixin' to put a hole in something,
make it a hole to remember.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I would if I could but I don't know how. Lucky to get the computer on. grin --- Mel

The only thing I'm an expert at is my own opinion, and I have plenty of those!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
There's a guy who lives near Bella Coola, British Columbia and who use to feed the swans that over-winter in that area, and he used a .30-30 when killing two grizzly bears that place in the Top-10 of the B&C record book. One of those bears - the largest o the two - was killed while in a full-blown charge. So, there you go.

Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

104 members (160user, 35, 10ring1, 7887mm08, ar33c9, 12 invisible), 1,453 guests, and 909 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,208
Posts18,503,886
Members73,994
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.