Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Dogballs

It chaps my ass as I own a small construction company and work my butt off just to take a few days off in hunting season.

I hear you there. I grew up as the only boy on a family owned dairy farm and got to work every Thanksgiving, Christmas morning, Fourth of July, etc, etc, etc. I once went from April 15th to September 24th without a single day off (not even a weekend). We never went on any vacations and I never went hunting in the morning or evening until I graduated from high school. Just one of the many pleasures of the self-employed small business owner.

On the flip side, every time I go on a guided hunt it seems that all of the other guys in camp are "construction contractors", so, they must be doing something right. grin

Chet

The first great thing is to find yourself and for that you need solitude and contemplation. I can tell you deliverance will not come from the rushing noisy centers of civilization. It will come from the lonely places. Fridtjof Nansen
GB1

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I both changed positions within my company and went over 10 years recently. Somehow I ended up getting 36 days this year. Also, I carried over 11. Don't think I'll be able to use it all, but I'll use some.

Bob

I met a French guy the other day. I asked him "Do you speak German?" He said "No." I said "You're welcome!"
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I get combined sick/vacation leave, 4wks a year. I had 5 weeks at my previous employer after 10 yrs of service. My current company starts new employees at 3 wks of leave, but as part of my offer they bumped it to 4 wks.

Honestly I think most employees will be at their most efficient if they take a week off every 3-4 months.

I usually take off a week at the beginning of the summer, a week at the end, and then take off the week between Christmas and New Years.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Started with 2 weeks and after 15 years I now get 4, but usually carry a week over.

Retired and Loving It!!
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I get two weeks a year, but I've not taken a vacation in 10 years. May take one this year to go see Spain and visit the relatives. Haven't been back there in 20 years.

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
IC B2

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
"but I've not taken a vacation in 10 years"

Too many great things to do for me to not take vacation. I'm fortunate to get quite a bit of vacation time, although I love my job too.

Backpacking trips with my sons and good friends. Hunting and fishing trips with family and friends. Cross-country road trips, and motorcycle trips. Visiting foreign places (of course I did a lot of that in the military). I treasure my vacation time, and plan how to best use it each year. Can't imagine not taking vacation for ten years. Why? There's an incredible world out there...

Guy

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Let's see - last year:

Ten days in Hawaii with my wife to celebrate our 30th anniversary.

Backpacking trip in the Cascades with my youngest son.

Two motorcycle tours of about five - seven days each.

Hunted a week in October.

Hunted a week in November.

I enjoyed the time off. It was GREAT!

"It chaps my ass as I own a small construction company and work my butt off just to take a few days off in hunting season."

Dad had a small contracting business that grew into a pretty good sized outfit over time. He put a LOT of time into it - and we didn't take a lot of family vacations when I was a kid. He was good about taking every Sunday with his family though, and a few weekend trips.

I made sure that the kids got lots of good family camping trips when it was my turn as a dad. In the military though, I never came close to using all the leave I accrued.

To the original poster - a couple of weeks a year for an entry level employee - after they've completed a year. More for a more senior employee. That's worked for me.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I get some afternoons off(Nov-May) and some weekends during Summer.

Last full day off was deer opener, about 3 months ago.

My dad(boss) only hobby is work and it's slowly becoming my only hobby as well.

Last edited by SamOlson; 01/30/12.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
365 days a year.

Nothing to start.

Well we're Green and we're Gold, and we play better when it's cold. All us Cheese heads have our favorite superstar. We love Brett Favre.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I work a 14 and 14 schedule offshore, so that coupled with the 2 full offshore weeks (1 hitch) I get off means I work less than half the year.

"If dogs don't go to heaven, when I die I want to go wherever they went." -Will Rogers

"If you have a lot of self control you don't need a lot of government control" - Thomas Sowell
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Currently at 15 days plus holidays. Not as much as I need and more than the demands of my position allow.

4 out of 5 Great Lakes prefer Michigan. smile
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by SamOlson
I get some afternoons off(Nov-May) and some weekends during Summer.

Last full day off was deer opener, about 3 months ago.

My dad(boss) only hobby is work and it's slowly becoming my only hobby as well.

After dating some farmer's daughters around here I figured that out.

"Want to help clean out the grain bin?"

"Ummm...not really..."

Travis

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Been on the job 34 years.
I get 5 weeks paid vacation.

Proud NRA Life Member
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
There is ALWAYS something to do.

G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by bruinruin
Currently at 15 days plus holidays. Not as much as I need and more than the demands of my position allow.

i think you have possibly hinted at an underlying issue, or situation.

what happens to the work load while the employees takes justified annual or sick leave?

does it pile up on the desk, or does it get redirected to other workers in the group?

the work gets done, sooner or later, at some level of profit (or loss). grin

but, really how does the work really get done? who covers the base for the person on leave for annual leave (vacation time), or on sick leave. does overtime ever come into play to cover said vacnacy?

what happens to costs when a "chief" employee takes off, and leaves the work to others? could he be paid more to induce him/her to remain on the job with less vacation time?

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Being I own my own business I can take off whenever my little heart desires.

I like it that way.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I imagine that the proper thing to do is to begrudge everyone any vacation time at all (as well as any other benefits that they get) since we somehow wind up paying for it. Even better would be to deny them anything that they have earned under the conditions of their employment in terms of retirement or severance. (Not my own opinion, just trying to be a regular guy.)

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I get 8 days a year. But my schedual is 4 days on/4 days off, so I can take up to 20 days in a row if I want.

But I've been on disability leave for 11 weeks with probably 8 more weeks to go before I can go back to work. I'm bored to tears and can't wait to get back!

Never appeal to a mans "better side", he may not have one.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Rest of my life. grin

[Linked Image]
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I get 11 paid holidays, 21 vacation days, and 10 sick days a year.

Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

553 members (12344mag, 160user, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 1Longbow, 54 invisible), 14,684 guests, and 1,189 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,062
Posts18,541,164
Members74,053
Most Online21,066
Yesterday at 07:15 PM

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.