Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Well if people would be honest about it and put aside their blind biases, they would find that not everything Z,L, and Swaro makes is bulletproof either. You could find numerous examples of Conquest breakdowns around the various forums. There have been numerous examples here (I have one right now that's a POS). Every manufacturer has a CS dept and repair facility for a good reason.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A couple weeks ago I compared a VX6, a Swarovski Z3 and a zeiss HD5 all side by side and IMHO the VX6 excelled in just about every optical characteristic. Only real difference was the robust size of the 30mm VX6. I am just not certain about it size on a lightweight rifle even though it's not all that heavy. But she is chunky! The one thing that really impressed be was the reticle on the VX6 , much better than the ones on VX3's. But in the end I bought a VX3 3.5-10x40 at less than half the price of the VX6.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by AlaskaCub
A couple weeks ago I compared a VX6, a Swarovski Z3 and a zeiss HD5 all side by side and IMHO the VX6 excelled in just about every optical characteristic. Only real difference was the robust size of the 30mm VX6. I am just not certain about it size on a lightweight rifle even though it's not all that heavy. But she is chunky! The one thing that really impressed be was the reticle on the VX6 , much better than the ones on VX3's. But in the end I bought a VX3 3.5-10x40 at less than half the price of the VX6.

Good analysis. The Z3 duplex is sorta fine, but useable. The VX-6 duplex is one of the best, as is its eye box.

Like you, I prefer 1" scopes. The 30mm is bulkier, but the VX-6 is pretty sleek for a big scope.

As you can tell, I'm a VX-6 fan. I have several Zeiss Conquests, a Zeiss Victory, a Z3, a Z5, several VX-3's, a Kahles and others. So, my VX-6 opinion isn't without comparisons.

DF

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by JGRaider
Well if people would be honest about it and put aside their blind biases, they would find that not everything Z,L, and Swaro makes is bulletproof either. You could find numerous examples of Conquest breakdowns around the various forums. There have been numerous examples here (I have one right now that's a POS). Every manufacturer has a CS dept and repair facility for a good reason.

no doubt I have had several failures of Zeiss, Kahles, dropping guns mostly, off center rings, making stuff "farmer tight" (borrowed from Mule Deer) and Leupold (my fault with some funky rings twice). Its an emotional issue more than anything else, some folks just hate Leupold so they go out and buy a Bushnell Elite with a glued on adjustment saddle smile. Its best not to be prejudice too much for or against any one vender. Me I am (still) an optical hater but now its mostly against all variable scopes.. smile

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If I could have convinced myself to spend $1,000 on a scope that day it wounds hands down been the VX6. I am just not of the belief that I need to spend that much money on an aiming device.

IC B2

A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
I'm no Leupold hater, and I realize that there a mechanical device and anything can break, and if they do break Leupold will fix them, but it would be nice to have leupold have a bullet proof reputation like NF!

BTW I'm really interested in the VX6 after reading yours and DF's and a few others reviews on them , but ater reading about another members issues it just makes me think twice...Leupold can do better!

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Originally Posted by AlaskaCub

Good analysis. The Z3 duplex is sorta fine, but useable. The VX-6 duplex is one of the best, as is its eye box.

Like you, I prefer 1" scopes. The 30mm is bulkier, but the VX-6 is pretty sleek for a big scope.

As you can tell, I'm a VX-6 fan. I have several Zeiss Conquests, a Zeiss Victory, a Z3, a Z5, several VX-3's, a Kahles and others. So, my VX-6 opinion isn't without comparisons.

DF

I haven't been able to put a Z3 next to a VX6 in bad light yet, but owning 2 Z3's, I'll agree that Swaro's duplex is too fine, and Leupold's is better.

Still, the best hunting reticle for my tastes is the Meopta #4. That one just stands out (no pun intended) to me as the leader of the pack as a low-light visible reticle. Leupold's #4 isn't bad, but I think Meopta's is better.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
i took my VX6 to Sask. this year and my buddy took a Z3, to me i dont see any difference optically, if there i cant tell...both are more than good enough

i love the VX6 duplex and non-critical, fixed eye relief on all powers

my grips was the power ring in that cold was a b!tch to turn... i just left it on 6x

Last edited by SAKO75; 01/29/14.

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered."
― George Orwell, 1984
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
I agree that Z3 and VX-6 glass quality are close. The VX-6 Duplex is way better than the Z3 duplex. Slimmer, sleeker scope, advantage Z3.

My Z3 is a 4-12x50 BT, my comparative VX-6 is a 2-12x42. I like them both, maybe the VX-6 a little more. The CDS, IMHO, is better than the Swaro BT, which I think needs an aftermarket turret.

Most scope for the buck: Leupold.

DF

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
leupold. had a z3 but the dang reticle was too thin for me.

IC B3

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
You could have sent it to Swaro for a retro fit German #4 at a cost of $125.

Disgusting to spend Swaro bucks, then spend more to make it Kosher.

DF

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
From where I sit, Leupold needs to take a hard look at their QC and make improvements. I like the VX-6 optics, but each VX-6 I've purchased (only a sample of three granted) has had QC issues.

For me, the perfect riflescope for my needs remains to be the Zeiss Victory Diavari 2.5-10x42mm. And I managed to find yet another one this week with an illuminated reticle for the same price as a new VX-6 with firedot. grin

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have had that zeiss and I wish they still made it. I do think the vx6 has better eye relief on all powers, more fov, and more versatile power range. That being said if they were the same price, I would get the zeiss as it's optics are over the top good

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered."
― George Orwell, 1984
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Originally Posted by FOsteology
From where I sit, Leupold needs to take a hard look at their QC and make improvements. I like the VX-6 optics, but each VX-6 I've purchased (only a sample of three granted) has had QC issues.

For me, the perfect riflescope for my needs remains to be the Zeiss Victory Diavari 2.5-10x42mm. And I managed to find yet another one this week with an illuminated reticle for the same price as a new VX-6 with firedot. grin

thats my next scope purchase. the diavari. looked at one at a local shop recently. not about to drop 2k or whatever on a new one tho

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I have two Z3's....a 3-10x42 and a 4-12x50 with the BT. I like the BT better than the CDS, as you can set up the BT anyway you want on your own without having the mfg engrave or supply anything further. For basic hunting use, I think it's pretty good. It's very similar to my single-pin sight on my hunting bow, at least in concept, so that might be why I like it so much.

I don't like the concept of the custom-engraved CDS. Change your load, your dial is cooked and you need to pay for another one. If you're into MOA-based turret spinning, the MOA CDS probably makes more sense than the BT, but for most hunters, I think even the BT goes unused, as most of us simply don't have a need for it. I have it because it happened to be on the scope when it appeared for a good price.

I have my Z3's because they were priced right. I got the 4-12 for 750 and the 3-10 for 650. I have thought of having them retrofitted with #4's. For what I have in them, I'm still not at a bad price, and probably makes them more capable in low light. The optics are, but the duplex reticle isn't the best.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
tdd....have Leupy make a CDS dial in MOA and problem solved. I will be the first to acknowledge that Leupy needs to get QC up to snuff and keep it that way. I personally do not like the "all things to all people" mentality there, but that's just me.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I agree that for a CDS I'd go with MOA and not yardages, BUT....

To me it makes more sense to simply set up the marks on the BT to your load, then you twist to that mark and go. I guess 6 or 1/2 dozen the other, but I like the BT. Just preference, I guess.

I do see new reticles in the future for those scopes, but I believe my next scope will be a Meopta. I like them too much and there are deals out there with some shopping to be had. The rumored 1.7-10x42 R2 really has my attention.

I was really onboard for a VX6 when they were still "pending" from Leupold. I sat on a wait list for months, and couldn't wait any longer with hunting season approaching, so I got a NOS VX7 for that rifle when a sale popped up.

I like the VX6 in concept, I've just not been wowed by it when I look through it in person. I'm sure there are personal biases at work there, but that's just my perspective on it.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I am anxiously awaiting a couple of the R2 models from Meopta...the 1.7-10x42, and the 2-12x50. I like the #4's also from Meopta.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm looking forward to the R2 1.7-10x42 also. I'm waiting for the non-illuminated reticle versions to come out later.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JGRaider
I am anxiously awaiting a couple of the R2 models from Meopta...the 1.7-10x42, and the 2-12x50. I like the #4's also from Meopta.

JGR,

With your connections, should you manage to get your hands on the new 1.7-10x42mm R2 I'd love an opportunity to examine and test it out as we previous did with the VX-6.

The new Meopta R2 with that particular variable range has me interested. Would love to set it side by side with my Z6 1.7-10x42 as well as my Diavari.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

548 members (1badf350, 1936M71, 160user, 17CalFan, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 54 invisible), 2,641 guests, and 1,377 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,704
Posts18,475,294
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.