Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
Who has the best deal"cheapest way possible" to get in on a 308win.AR Rifle?
Is DPMS gonna be the lowest price?

Last edited by Kennesaw; 01/29/12.

Frank Glaser,Alaska Wolfman:"with a lung shot on hoofed game the .220 Swift killed quicker than any other gun I ever owned."That included caribou,moose,wolf,and sheep.
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have seen 16" carbines from DPMS for a grand or so, so yes as new rifles go, that looks cheapest. That said, I'd shoot one before I dropped a grand on one. 16" .308's are a bit of an acquired taste crazy

Used you might save another couple hundred bucks, if you catch somebody who's anxious to sell.

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
$900 is about the cheapest you'll find one, at least from what I noticed when I was shopping for mine (got a bushmaster).

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Does Armalite still sell Eagle Arms AR10s? Those were pretty reasonable.

Islam is a terrorist organization.

Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
Thanks all! Does the 338fed. interchange on a AR10 ?

Frank Glaser,Alaska Wolfman:"with a lung shot on hoofed game the .220 Swift killed quicker than any other gun I ever owned."That included caribou,moose,wolf,and sheep.
IC B2

J
J
Originally Posted by tex_n_cal
I have seen 16" carbines from DPMS for a grand or so, so yes as new rifles go, that looks cheapest. That said, I'd shoot one before I dropped a grand on one. 16" .308's are a bit of an acquired taste crazy

Used you might save another couple hundred bucks, if you catch somebody who's anxious to sell.

I've been kickin around the idea of an AR10, what's the differences in the 10 and the 15?
Thanks

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Personally, I'd rather spend a few $ more and get a better gun than scimp and regret it later.

RRA LAR-8 is one of the best "AR-10" platforms you can buy. Better barrels, cheaper mags, better triggers, better accuracy and reasonable weight. I have a LAR-8 in a Predator model, and it is a very accurate forgiving gun. It shoots anything I feed it [including 170gr Flat points] and kicks like a 243. The 8.5pounds is reasonable and the trigger is VERY good.

http://www.rockriverarms.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_id=402

I don't drink or Smoke. I spend my money on gunpowder and gasoline.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The RR LAR 8 is poorly designed. FAL magazines and rotary bolts don't go together. Designing a rifle around a magazine, just because the magazine is cheap, is a poor idea.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by BarryC
The RR LAR 8 is poorly designed. FAL magazines and rotary bolts don't go together. Designing a rifle around a magazine, just because the magazine is cheap, is a poor idea.

What is your evidence that supports this? Or how many rounds did you put through an LAR-8 before you came to this conclusion?

You need to call it. I can't call it for you.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I just got a new RRA catalog and they are going to offer the AR10 in 7-08 and 243 as well.

NRA Life Member
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
This is very much "FWIW" -- I was at SHOT show, and one of my goals was to look at all of the .308 ARs. I won't touch the topic of quality, but I will say that the one that felt the lightest and handiest with the best balance was the CMMG:

http://cmmginc.secure-mall.com/category/Mk3-308-Firearms-219

I was expecting to like the Larue PredatAR better, but I didn't. Quality, I'm sure, isn't even in the same ballpark, but the CMMG really *felt* nice.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Barry C said:
Does Armalite still sell Eagle Arms AR10s? Those were pretty reasonable.
Armalite is now building AR10's in some models that will take the Promag DPMS magazines. It will be a limited production rifle. kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JoeB

I've been kickin around the idea of an AR10, what's the differences in the 10 and the 15?
Thanks

They're mostly just a bigger action. The AR10 dates to the 1950's, and is in fact the "original AR", designed for the 308 (7.62x51). It was later downsized to .223 to make the M16.

Armalite today is sort of like a brand name, the company has changed hands and was bought out by the Eagle arms people a few years ago. I have two AR10 uppers, and like both for reliability and accuracy.

Cartridges like the .243, .260, 7mm08, and 338 Federal have all been chambered in the AR10. There's probably other calibers.

AR10's are less standardized than AR15's, so you have to be careful which pattern rifle you're buying, depending on the accessory. The Noveske N6 is compatable with the Armalite, as is Aero Precision.

J
J
Originally Posted by JoeB

Thanks

They're mostly just a bigger action. The AR10 dates to the 1950's, and is in fact the "original AR", designed for the 308 (7.62x51). It was later downsized to .223 to make the M16.

Armalite today is sort of like a brand name, the company has changed hands and was bought out by the Eagle arms people a few years ago. I have two AR10 uppers, and like both for reliability and accuracy.

AR10's are less standardized than AR15's, so you have to be careful which pattern rifle you're buying, depending on the accessory. The Noveske N6 is compatable with the Armalite, as is Aero Precision.

Thanks, I was just tryin to figure out why he felt they were weird to shoot? I've never fired one and was lookin for insight. I appreciate all the info you posted though. Gave me a little more to go on.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Ruger280

What is your evidence that supports this? Or how many rounds did you put through an LAR-8 before you came to this conclusion?
I'm smart enough to take good advice and avoid the headache.

Here's a link that has an explanation as to why. I understand that RR has made some material choices for the bolt that help ameliorate the breakage issues associated with the poor design. But it's still just a band aid. You can fix poor workmanship, but you can only band aid poor design. With so many other great choices out there, I wouldn't screw with it.
A little explanation

I have FALs, an AR-10 and M-1s & 14s. I can look and see exactly what the Armalite engineers were referring to in the write-up.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
That's funny Barry. I have NEVER heard anything bad about the LAR-8 except from you.

Listening to an Armalite engineer badmouth a competing rifle is like taking the word of a Ford engineer when he badmouths a Chevy. I read that link and the AR-10 guy comes off as nothing more than hachetman worried about losing sales, because their engineers couldn't solve the mag issue.

I have about 120rds thru my LAR-8 and it feeds out of any mag I put in it. Metric pattern FAL, inch pattern FAL, or RRA new production, it doesn't matter. Like I said, it even feeds 170gr Speer Flat Points, does your 308 AR? British surplus and handloads with 3031, 4895, 4320, Rel-15, 748, 4064, and H335 all function well.

With 8 locking lugs on the bolt, I fail to see where the 2 lug recesses behind the feed ramp are an issue. In order for them to fail, the other 6 would have to fail too.

nce the weather settles down here and I get the new range built at the Club, I plan on putting alot of ammo thru my LAR-8 before heading out to the woods with it.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I kinda always wanted an FAL, as I thought they just looked cool and had a good reputation for reliability. When I finally looked at black rifles, I looked hard at FAL variants, and bought an Armalite AR10A4. I now have two uppers for it. I didn't make a mistake smile

I may get an FAL someday for the heck of it, but I don't see it replacing the 10's. smile

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by dmsbandit
That's funny Barry. I have NEVER heard anything bad about the LAR-8 except from you.

Listening to an Armalite engineer badmouth a competing rifle is like taking the word of a Ford engineer when he badmouths a Chevy. I read that link and the AR-10 guy comes off as nothing more than hachetman worried about losing sales, because their engineers couldn't solve the mag issue.

I have about 120rds thru my LAR-8 and it feeds out of any mag I put in it. Metric pattern FAL, inch pattern FAL, or RRA new production, it doesn't matter. Like I said, it even feeds 170gr Speer Flat Points, does your 308 AR? British surplus and handloads with 3031, 4895, 4320, Rel-15, 748, 4064, and H335 all function well.

With 8 locking lugs on the bolt, I fail to see where the 2 lug recesses behind the feed ramp are an issue. In order for them to fail, the other 6 would have to fail too.

nce the weather settles down here and I get the new range built at the Club, I plan on putting alot of ammo thru my LAR-8 before heading out to the woods with it.

You need to expand your research if you've never heard of anything bad about the LAR-8. Have you heard of anything bad about the Bushmaster version of it? Not the new Bushmaster, the one that used FAL mags. Several years ago RRA built those rifles for Bushmaster, who returned the rights to the design to RRA. RRA then began marketing it as the LAR-8.

It took many years for RRA to get it to work correctly. It was listed in their catalog for over 2 years before they ever produced a functioning rifle. I have an FAL, it uses FAL mags, I have a HK91, it uses G3 mags. There are AR's that were redesigned to use those mags, none of them function as well as the original platform the mag was designed for.

If you want an AR10 style rifle, get one from Armalite, Knights, DPMS, Iron Ridge, where ever, just don't decide on the platform because it uses cheap mags.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by mtmisfit
Originally Posted by dmsbandit

You need to expand your research if you've never heard of anything bad about the LAR-8. Have you heard of anything bad about the Bushmaster version of it? Not the new Bushmaster, the one that used FAL mags. Several years ago RRA built those rifles for Bushmaster, who returned the rights to the design to RRA. RRA then began marketing it as the LAR-8.

It took many years for RRA to get it to work correctly. It was listed in their catalog for over 2 years before they ever produced a functioning rifle. I have an FAL, it uses FAL mags, I have a HK91, it uses G3 mags. There are AR's that were redesigned to use those mags, none of them function as well as the original platform the mag was designed for.

If you want an AR10 style rifle, get one from Armalite, Knights, DPMS, Iron Ridge, where ever, just don't decide on the platform because it uses cheap mags.

You have it backwards. RRA contracted with Bushmaster to make the guns, not the other way around.

RRA took the gun back from Bushmaster because Bushmaster was not capable of making the gun correctly. The version Bushmaster made is not the LAR-8 that is made today.

I owned a FAL and sold it. It was heavy and was lucky to hit a softball much less shoot MOA sized groups.

People I know who shoot ALOT of rounds thru their AR style guns don't have much nice to say about DPMS/Bushmaster/Remington. They all point you to the AR-10, Knight, Lewis, or LAR-8.

I've also read magazine articles on the LAR-8 with interveiws of the President of the company talking about the history of the gun. The gun was reviewed in SHooting Times and the author ran 243, 7-08, and 308 ammo thru it all day long without any issues and the gun consistantly shoot under 1" with all three uppers.

AT one time the AR-15 was considered a piece of [bleep] that cost 1000s of Soldiers their lives, but that gun is now thought quite highly of. New designs often have some issues when first brought to market, does that mean they are never worth buying? The Corsair had issues in WWII, the B-26 was called the Widow Maker, the B-29 had lousy engines and would often crash, Paul Mauser didn't start out with the model 98, and John Browning didn't make the 1911 corretly on the first try either.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Let me know when you get 5,000 rounds through it. 120 rounds ain't squat.

Oh, and BTW, Armalite wrote that BEFORE there were any 308 ARs that used FAL mags on the market or even announced. The Bushmaster BAR-10 was introduced in 2004. That Tech Note was written in about 1995! I understand that the mystery maker that they referred to is Knight.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

569 members (160user, 1minute, 222Sako, 1Longbow, 2500HD, 1beaver_shooter, 63 invisible), 2,413 guests, and 1,430 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,168
Posts18,484,544
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.