Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
SodFarmer,

You're welcome to your opinion, but with a good temp-resistant powder and a tuned load, plus or minus a couple-three tenths isn't going to make any difference in a big game cartridge, even way out there. This has been proven over and over again.

There are little things that make a big difference in handlading, and there are little things that don't. This is one that doesn't. If you feel better being anal, then for sure that's your prerogative.

I would be very interested to hear about any hard data you have involving, say, plus or minus 1/4 of a grain of powder at longer ranges. I've shot a bunch of ammo loaded with H1000 out to 700-800 yards, all thrown from a measure into 6.5-06 cases, and haven't found it. And this rifle will put three rounds into 1/2 MOA out that far consistently.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Some of the benchresters reportedly measure, don't weigh their charges. Simply find the 'volume' which is the sweet spot and use that. Reading that years ago got me thinking 'anal' might not amount to a whole lot. I happen to like loads that I can trust for hunting at 20� as easily as -20�, loads that I can crank out without worry whether the scale happens to be off a couple tenths one day or another. I like H4831 for this very reason. Whether long or SC, I run my loads through an RCBS measure, cracking kernels if need be to keep from stopping mid-throw. It seem to work for me and I don't worry about missing due to the powder charge.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Klikitarik - pm sent

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Early last year, I decided to stop weighing powder charges, and started throwing charges. The purpose was to determine if I could tell any difference in the performance of my hunting rifles. Two of the rifles I used for the test will shoot 10 shot groups into 1" or less, and occasional 3 shot groups as small as 1/4", if I can hold up my end of the job. One of the rifles used Varget, the other H4831SC.

Initial testing found no difference, so I kept loading and shooting this way for a year. For me, the final conclusion is I will NOT go back to weighing charges. My RCBS Chargemaster is now being used as an electronic powder scale.

FYI, I used a Redding powder measure, which varies +/- .3 gr with H4831SC, and slightly better with Varget.

YMMV,
Steve

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
In case anyone new to powder measures is reading this, don't try to adjust the charge weight by weighing individual charges. You'll wind up chasing your tail. Throw for an average instead.

Suppose I want to throw 42 grains of powder. I'll throw five charges together and weigh that. When the total comes out at 210 (plus or minus a couple of tenths) for a couple of trials, I call it 42 grains and start filling cases.

IC B2

S
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
SodFarmer,

You're welcome to your opinion, but with a good temp-resistant powder and a tuned load, plus or minus a couple-three tenths isn't going to make any difference in a big game cartridge, even way out there. This has been proven over and over again.

There are little things that make a big difference in handlading, and there are little things that don't. This is one that doesn't. If you feel better being anal, then for sure that's your prerogative.

I would be very interested to hear about any hard data you have involving, say, plus or minus 1/4 of a grain of powder at longer ranges. I've shot a bunch of ammo loaded with H1000 out to 700-800 yards, all thrown from a measure into 6.5-06 cases, and haven't found it. And this rifle will put three rounds into 1/2 MOA out that far consistently.

Mule Deer
I have to admit that I haven't tried it. I have worked up to loads in half grain increments and seen significant differences in POI. The IMR 4831 that I have been using in my RCBS powder measure will vary nearly a full grain between charges. This might be unussual because of my particular combination of powder and powder measure, but that is the combination that I have. If I run across a powder that will throw + or - .3g I will take your suggestion and give it a try.

Since the time that I started this thread, I found the following information in the FAQ section on the "Accurate Powder" web sight:

Most of our powders are not insensitive, and will show some effect at hot and cold temperatures.

However, we test at -40F and +125F and the deviation in most cases are ca 3% to 5% at these extreme levels. Therefore most shooters do not notice much difference under normal practical hunting conditions.

More elaboration on the subject:

Complete temperature stability can only be achieved with tubular extruded powders designs, either with double base (NG) and/or with other coating technologies.

Because the ballistic performance at extreme temperature is completely dependant on the specific combination, it is very difficult to quantify and qualify.

Our standard powders perform very well at extreme temperatures, and usually pass the strict military requirements by a large margin.

This is a subject that often fraught with misconceptions and inaccuracies.

The term is used loosely by manufacturers without qualifying the subject, and is obviously exploited for marketing purposes and perceptions.

The facts are:
�Although powders can be improved, it�s really only possible with advanced coating procedures and additives which increase the cost.
�A particular powder can be improved re temperature stability for certain combinations, within a certain envelope which is specific to the following three main parameters/aspects ◦The caliber.
◦The weight of the projectile/bullet.
◦The performance level.

If any of these parameters/aspects go beyond or outside the intended ratio/s, the results will change and the performance will sometimes be different.

It is also very important that when a comparison is made, that all conditions re weapon i.e. components primer, case, bullet and the velocity are equal, and preferably done at the same time on the same day.

I found this information very interesting because it casts some doubt as to possible down sides to the "extreme" powders from Hodgdon. Could just be marketing, but it could have merrit.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by SodFarmer
SodFarmer,

Mule Deer
I have to admit that I haven't tried it. I have worked up to loads in half grain increments and seen significant differences in POI. The IMR 4831 that I have been using in my RCBS powder measure will vary nearly a full grain between charges. This might be unussual because of my particular combination of powder and powder measure, but that is the combination that I have. If I run across a powder that will throw + or - .3g I will take your suggestion and give it a try.

Since the time that I started this thread, I found the following information in the FAQ section on the "Accurate Powder" web sight:

Most of our powders are not insensitive, and will show some effect at hot and cold temperatures.

However, we test at -40F and +125F and the deviation in most cases are ca 3% to 5% at these extreme levels. Therefore most shooters do not notice much difference under normal practical hunting conditions.

More elaboration on the subject:

Complete temperature stability can only be achieved with tubular extruded powders designs, either with double base (NG) and/or with other coating technologies.

Because the ballistic performance at extreme temperature is completely dependant on the specific combination, it is very difficult to quantify and qualify.

Our standard powders perform very well at extreme temperatures, and usually pass the strict military requirements by a large margin.

This is a subject that often fraught with misconceptions and inaccuracies.

The term is used loosely by manufacturers without qualifying the subject, and is obviously exploited for marketing purposes and perceptions.

The facts are:
�Although powders can be improved, it�s really only possible with advanced coating procedures and additives which increase the cost.
�A particular powder can be improved re temperature stability for certain combinations, within a certain envelope which is specific to the following three main parameters/aspects ◦The caliber.
◦The weight of the projectile/bullet.
◦The performance level.

If any of these parameters/aspects go beyond or outside the intended ratio/s, the results will change and the performance will sometimes be different.

It is also very important that when a comparison is made, that all conditions re weapon i.e. components primer, case, bullet and the velocity are equal, and preferably done at the same time on the same day.

I found this information very interesting because it casts some doubt as to possible down sides to the "extreme" powders from Hodgdon. Could just be marketing, but it could have merrit.

Sodfarmer, welcome to reality. I have been shooting RL22 in a 25.06 for 25 years now, in temps ranging from 75 deg to -25 deg, and have never noticed the diffrence in performance. I have also shot Varget,h-48995 and Benchmark in the same conditions, also no noticeable change.
Maybe if I went from the house at 68 deg. and left it in the cold for about 2 or 3 weeks I might.
I gave up on weighing each charge long ago, as Mule Deer and others have said +- a couple of tenths aint gonna change anything, figured this out by the fact no powder scale is accurate enough to give me an Exact charge everytime, most all of them are +- a tenth anyways, so another tenth isnt going to affect what I do.
As far as varying a full grain, use a baffle. it helps.

Swifty

Swifty
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
SodFarmer,

Yeah, with a "large-log" type powder such as IMR4831 you are going to see large differences in charge weights in a typical powder measure. But this is he 21st century. Alternatives are available.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Swifty,

Am curious about your parameters of powder performance.

Do you shoot various loads on targets beyond 100 yards at different temperatures? Or do you work up a load at 100 yards at typical 40-80 degree range temps, and then shoot the ammo at big game?

Not criticizing in any way, just wondering.

John Steinbeck
R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
Reloder28,

You got lucky, or the temperature changed, or the air conditions chasnged enough to affect parallax.

There isn't any way 1/10th of grain makes that much difference in a .300 WSM--and 760 is definitely not temp-resistant. Ihave seen accuracy change considerably with exactly the same 760 load at temperatures only 20 degrees apart.

Gee, you have caused me great concern. I thought my load work was done.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
IC B3

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

576 members (1Longbow, 160user, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 22magnut, 10ring1, 60 invisible), 2,483 guests, and 1,291 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,185
Posts18,484,797
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.