-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Albeit, 4:10 ratio at that range, however.

But anyway....

When I was on the Board of Game and even prior, when working as liaison to the BOG and also as a natural resource lobbysit at the State Capital, anecdotal information was always interesting to examine, but the fact of the matter is that science always won over the anecdotal aspect.

Anecdotes are great, but they're not science.

Nevertheless, this thread has been interesting and of course, the range employee's estimations that CMG submitted are well noted.

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Anecdotes are not science.

Yet, the range masters survey was not an estimate, either.

Sound science is nice to have - I am a scientist.

Science also is expensive - so may not always be feasible to apply.

Disregarding information just because it is not "science", when nothing really is at stake, is funny.

Somebody here asked which caliber is most popular in AK.

1848 hunters at an Anchorage range in two months seem to be a sound indication - if good enough for the question asked, is for everyone self to decide.

Considering that AFG states just 7000 Big Game Tag sold for residents in AK for 2007 (example) the number in the range masters survey becomes even more impressive.

I apologize for my nitpicking and will end my part of it here.

http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/static/license/pdfs/2007info.pdf

Member of the Merry Band of turdlike People.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
An Anchorage range is, quite likely, only going to give you a feel for what Anchorage area hunters and shooters are using. Does it actually represent the greater Alaska area? Who knows?

BTW, what's a Ruger 375? Is that a 375 Ruger...(what's that? grin ), or is it a Ruger 375 H&H? (The latter is not uncommon in one version or another.) Remington Core-Lokt ammo is very common in Alaska FWIW.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Day Packer,

Not too many 375 Rugers here. I suspect that it is popular with some just getting into the .375 caliber game, though it will never gain the popularity of the Holland...in my lifetime at least. Could be that people here subscribe to the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" crowd. Personally, I cannot imagine anyone that had a decent 375 H&H trading it for the Ruger. Now, buying one just because you could (another rifle loony-thanks JBar smile )would make sense.

There are small smatterings of .375 Bee's and some 378's, of course. Ammo (as answered previously) for the 375 Ruger is available in most places larger than 5000 net population.

"You've been here longer than the State of Alaska is old!"
*** my Grandaughters

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by cmg
I know of no research from a university either, but a range master published the following table in AFG - Magazine a couple of years ago.

[Linked Image]

Seems to bear out the general consensus of this thread.
Source added - AFG seems to have removed the info, but found this.

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=374903

Makes sense,I knew the 30-06 would be in the the top 5 but i didn't think it would #1. I thought the 300WM would have got that honor.

Some of you guys are saying that in your area the 243 win is popular,what are you all hunting with a 243. I like my 243.....alot but i would have never thought of it as an "ALASKA"caliber.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I had a client who with one shot at 40 feet, whacked a B&C mountain goat with a .243 Winchester. For anyone who knows anything about mountain goats, that's quite the accomplishment.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
less so for anyone with a clue about bullets...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Sitka deer

Even still, I was somewhat surprised when the billy dropped at the shot. I've seen dozens and dozens of goats killed and oftentimes they seem impervious, in both definitions of the word. That one-shot experience with huge billy killed by the client killed with the .243 was kind of astonishing.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've carried and killed with a 6mm quite a bit, the rifle loony equivalent of a 243 that is commonly carried by many people who know how to hunt and shoot out in the outlying parts of the state. While much of my killing with it has involved the excellent, now-defunct 100 semi-pointed Pro-Hunter, what these calibers can do when loaded with a Partition or mono is not different than many cartridges bigger in bore size.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I agree. It's an excellent black bear round. I was hesitant at first to lead a goat hunting client who preferred that caliber, but I'd guided him before when he was using other calibers and I knew he could shoot very, very well. A couple of my cousins had .243's and they killed all sorts of things with that caliber on hunts in Canada, the Lower-48 and Mexico. It is quite the cartridge.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I do know it kills whitetails just as dead as my 30-06 did.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I do prefer big wink rifles, like one of my 7mm-08s. grin

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Maverick940

Even still, I was somewhat surprised when the billy dropped at the shot. I've seen dozens and dozens of goats killed and oftentimes they seem impervious, in both definitions of the word. That one-shot experience with huge billy killed by the client killed with the .243 was kind of astonishing.

OK. i'll bite.

How many shots and where was da goat hit?

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Klikitarik

Klik, Klik, Klik...............

Now you're just trolling, man!

smile

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by ironbender
Originally Posted by Maverick940

The shot-count was mentioned a couple posts further up the thread. It was one shot at 40 feet. He dropped like a stone.
The client held a little too far forward and hit the shoulder, but the bullet managed to penetrate that mass after passing through all that hair and dense flesh. The bullet was merely fragments inside the forward body cavity. Killed him deader than a wedge, though.

OK. i'll bite.

How many shots and where was da goat hit?

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Sorry, Mav. I missed that part.

Nice hit it seems.

i'm unconvinced about the //passing through all that hair and dense flesh\\ business.

What kind of boolit, if you please?

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Now you're just rolling, man!

smile

Why thanks! wink

(Nevertheless, and distortions aside, the point should not be missed that smaller, non-magnum cartridges do support a big share of the hunting which gets done in Alaska. That isn't a recommendation, BTW, just an observation.) smile

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Sorry, Mav. I missed that part.

Nice hit it seems.

i'm unconvinced about the //passing through all that hair and dense flesh\\ business.

What kind of boolit, if you please?

Yeah, I was very apprehensive about him using a .243 Winchester on a mountain goat hunt because of the density of those animals and their impervious nervous system. But, in the end I let him bring it. The bullet was a handloaded Nosler.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
I'll guess partition.

Oh, Aaaaart!

smile

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle

Now you're just rolling, man!

smile

Why thanks! wink

(Nevertheless, and distortions aside, the point should not be missed that smaller, non-magnum cartridges do support a big share of the hunting which gets done in Alaska. That isn't a recommendation, BTW, just an observation.) smile

Oops, I missed the "T". You troll! smile

I'll agree about the most successful cartridge.

I've long said that the lowly '06 has killed more grizzly/brown bear than the next two cartridges.

I just can't be bothered to do the research to prove it. nonetheless, there it is and i have a nice can of Pepsi to back it up.

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

553 members (10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 160user, 10ring1, 12344mag, 55 invisible), 2,332 guests, and 1,153 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,857
Posts18,497,096
Members73,979
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.