Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Wait a minute, I never heard of Mauser suing Savage over patent infringement. I was under the impression that the First World War negated any such shenanigans, but maybe I'm thinking of the famous M1903 Springfield patent infringement case which forced Uncle Sam to pay a royalty to Mauser. If patent challenges were still being batted around, how did Winchester and Remington get around it?

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
GB1

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Oops, sorry, it is fatjack who is selling his M1920. It sounds like if I inadvertantly caused some pm's to come your way, they won't be wasted wink I'll bet Gene will know about the patent infringement issue.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Whatever the reason it was phased out, in my opinion the 1920 was a brief shining star in Savage's covenant. The bolt guns that Savage followed it up with were poor contenders to the throne. Thank God they stood behind their 99!

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Long live the 99!

LOL
O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
As everyone has stated this is a great rifle. If it's already drilled and tapped I would still consider getting it for the price you mention (you can always try to get the price down). This will save you the problem when your eyes start going bad of having the option to mount a scope. If the bore is good and no other problems exist you will not be disappointed.

It's well balanced, really nice rifle to shoot off hand, fits like a glove. It has what I guess you call a controlled round feed system. I have the 300, I'm keeping my eyes out for the 250.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by boltman
Oops, sorry, it is fatjack who is selling his M1920. It sounds like if I inadvertantly caused some pm's to come your way, they won't be wasted wink I'll bet Gene will know about the patent infringement issue.

I am still trying to fully understand patent laws - I do know that US patents are only good for 17 years so there would have not have been any patent issues with the Mauser design unless they copied improvements that were patented later. There are some exceptions to the 17 year time frame but all seem to only reduce it.

Even if a patent were granted for something, if it can be proven that the design was used by someone earlier, or was patented earlier, then the patent, or that part of a patent, does not apply - this is what occured when Marlin sued Savage for patent infringment on the Savage 1903 pump. There were only a couple issues with the 1903 that Marlin though were covered by patents on their lever action 22's (take-down feature was one). Savage's lawyer found similar designs earlier than than Marlins and finally won the case on appleal in 1906. (Ever wonder why the patent for the 1903, applied for in 1901, was not issued until 1906???) (PS - the take-down feature was in an earlier patent by Bennett assigned to Winchester)

Gene
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
I'm kinda thinking the depression and a rifle that cost almost $60 at that time was the problem. The model 40 and 45's were quite a bit cheaper, in more ways then one !!! Don

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Granted, Don. The Sporter/Super Sporter was kind of like the red headed step-child, but did fill a niche. My point though is that Winchester succeeded in keeping the 54, and then the 70, alive through the Depression, so there was obviously a market for quality Mauser-style bolt actions. Rifle loonies then as now would skimp and save so they could have what they perceived as the best rifle available. I know if I were alive back then I would've sold my daughters into a New Orleans cat house in order to have the money for a M54/70/99. (And they wonder why I never had kids!! grin )

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Ralph Is the great guy. He stayed with me at Savage fest 2007 at Jed's. Yes he is a salesman, and that's ok. But he knows people, and is a real fun guy to hang with...!!! Just sayin'...!!! grin grin grin

Mike...!!!

All said, the Savage 99 is a genius of a rifle. Although no longer produced, it remains highly revered, as it was the foundation from which Arthur Savage built one of America's great gun companies. >> (Jon Y. Wolfe) <<
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Does anyone have a copy of the book, "The Bolt Action" by Stuart Otteson?
Does the author state any unusual information in the chapter on the M1920? Is the book worth picking up?
Also what's the going rate for Lyman #54 sights lately?

"Rhetoric is no substitute for reality." -Thomas Sowell
IC B3

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

551 members (1234, 1lesfox, 12344mag, 1lessdog, 06hunter59, 10Glocks, 59 invisible), 2,560 guests, and 1,168 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,817
Posts18,516,668
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.