Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
T
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
T
I have seen a few threads on cast iron as I was searching/exploring the food forum (some very impressive cullinary types in this section fo sho!!). I collect cast iron and use cast iron exclusively to cook with. Who else uses cast iron regularly and what are some your favorite makers/pieces?

I started out with alot of my grand mothers pieces, Most are un signed with gate marks. Then I got into collecting stuff (it can be addictive crazy ).

There were lots of iron foundrys around my area of E TN in the early days and many marked or signed thier pieces. Then I moved into the griswold as well as other less noteable makers. I really like the waterman foundry muffin and bread pans.

richard....

GB1

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I started obsessively collection mostly old cast iron when I lived in Mountain City, TN and was reenacting with the Over Mountain Men at Ft. Watauga. I have more Dutch ovens and skillets than I can could (and just as importantly the iron lids to use with them all)as well as camp cauldrons ranging from "cup-o-soup" size to big enough to stew stray children. We had some good blacksmiths in the unit who liked barter so I have lots of fire irons like tripods and grills too.

If any of mine are name brands of any importance I haven not noticed. Most were found a little rough but I have gotten half way good at stripping and reseasoning.

There is a constant battle of wills in the house over what cookware to use. My lovely wife, a NC girl no less, hates cast iron skillets mostly because she refuses to clean them. She doesn't like to admit that she uses cast iron Dutch ovens for about everything now. She has gotten extremely good at baking bread in a very large footed Dutch oven I found her. Her favorite bread is a basket weave Savoyard oat bread.

One of the few new cast iron pots that I ever bought is a big jambalaya pot. It is a pain to get heavy cast iron shipped here since we have no roads into Juneau and I do not enjoy stripping and seasoning new iron much but it has been worth the effort. At about 2 1/2+ gallons it is a good size for large events while the 15(?) gallon cauldron is often just too much and the 2 gallon just a bit too small. It has a bail for hanging over a fire and a flat bottom for stove top. The flat lid and a large trivet will even turn it into a good oven. They also seem to always be on sale somewhere. http://www.amazon.com/Bayou-Classic-7419-Cast-Iron-Jambalaya/dp/B0000BXHL5

[Linked Image]

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
i have probably 40 peices of Griswold cast iron cookware. no longer made, but very well cast and finished.

Guns don't kill people, drivers with cell phones kill people.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'm in the middle Tennessee area and have several old pieces of cast that aren't marked except with the size...no manufacturer. One piece does have a maker "Martin"...ever heard of that company? It's a large (14") round skillet. Also, have a "spider" with lid that I picked up in Louisiana years ago that isn't marked but it's a great cooker.

Elwood

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
I have to jump in here and comment on the jambalaya pot. I lusted for one of those for some time as a chili pot and lucked out when Target had them for $40 with free shipping. (As an aside, it shipped from a location about 10-12 miles from me but they didn't have a will call window or I'd have picked it up.) It works absolutely as I wanted it to. It takes a bit to get it fired up but once done, it will simmer on about the lowest heat I can manage on my gas cooktop.

For anyone who might think this is some flimsy Chinese cast iron, it is Chinese but it ain' flimsy. Total weight is 32 lbs. as I recall. I think the pot weighs 24 lbs. and the lid 8 so it is well and truly a bear to pick up from counter top high when it is full of chili. I only use it once or twice a year but when I need it, it is indeed the ticket.

IC B2

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I have quite a few pieces of cast iron cookware, but my favorite is a skillet made by Wagner Ware. My mom gave it to me out of my grandma's house after she went into a home. It is a 10" skillet with no sides, it just curves up slightly like a plate around the edge. I use it for cooking eggs and omelettes for breakfast as the seasoning on it is so good, I have never had an egg or omelette stick on it. When done, just paper towel clean and back in storage.

Life is but the memories we've created.....Sully Erna
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Originally Posted by Robster
I have quite a few pieces of cast iron cookware, but my favorite is a skillet made by Wagner Ware. My mom gave it to me out of my grandma's house after she went into a home. It is a 10" skillet with no sides, it just curves up slightly like a plate around the edge. I use it for cooking eggs and omelettes for breakfast as the seasoning on it is so good, I have never had an egg or omelette stick on it. When done, just paper towel clean and back in storage.

Sort of like this?

[Linked Image]

It would be nice to have a skillet with lower sides so that I could get a better angle on the spatula and not tear up pancakes and omelettes .

T
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
T
Some of the more recognised foundrys that are not being made anymore were griswold(which include the "erie" trade mark), martin, wagner,victor,favorite. These made some of the better cookware that was available during the day. Often as these foundry disappeared they were merged with other foundrys.

Contrary to popular beleif heavier is not always better when it comes to cast iron. I prefer the lighter smoother castings to cook with. Here are a few from my collection, I probibly have over 200 peices in all...

This a griswold #11 large block logo with a smoke ring. The smoke ring was for use on wood stoves before they lost the ring and went to the smooth bottoms to use on electric stoves.

[Linked Image]

These are some signed peices( foundry names cast into them) of the local foundrys that were in knoxville where I live. Just the lids alone on some of these are going for several hundred dollars to the serious collectors of local and signed iron.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

These are a few of the waterman peices I have. They are great for everything fron individual cornbread to salmon patties and fried pies.
[Linked Image]

and these hammered peices are from the chicago foundry. They are my favorite to cook with. I use them more than any others besides a griswold#11 skillet.
[Linked Image]

I also collect stoves, I have 13 pot bellies. I have three in my living room, two of them are being used as end tables....
[Linked Image]

I just like collectin stuff i reckon! grin

and if I can go off topic on my own thread just a bit whistle ,
I make a living self employed as a welder/metal fabrication worker.I also do art/sculpture work with old iron...here is couple of things I made....
A blue herring made from a buck board wagon spring and coal tongs and an assortment of old plow parts. It stands about 4 1/2 ft.
[img]http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e324/rd1amherstweld/566250569_l.jpg[/img]
Here is a couple of other things, a sun flower and a rooster both made from old plow and mower parts...the sun flower is about 6' tall...you may have to look close to see some of the stuff...There are silver plate long stem roses that I made out of old spoons that you can see in front of the banjo head thats signed by DR. Ralph Stanley!(just had to throw that in there! grin )
[img]http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e324/rd1amherstweld/036-1.jpg[/img]
a horse I made using a linemans belt vice for the head...
[img]http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e324/rd1amherstweld/022.jpg[/img]

and the night stands in my bedroom made from scalloped disc harrow discs, corn planter and horse drawn mowing machine parts..
[img]http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e324/rd1amherstweld/P1010018.jpg[/img]

any way, I think I'm gonna enjoy this cooking forum!
...thanks for your time, I didn't mean to drag on.... cool

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Thanks for sharing those treasures with us. Bob

NRA-Benefactor
TSRA-Life

"It's a terrible thing when governments send their young men to kill each other." Charles Byrne,WW2 Vet.
On the day Desert Storm began.
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Wow! I have never seen hammered cast iron cookware. Thanks for sharing. Love my cast iron.

"...why, land is the only thing in the world worth working for, worth fighting for, worth dying for,... because it is the only thing that lasts."
IC B3

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Arbalester. The pan I use is just like the one in this picture posted by tndrbstr. It is the picture of the hammered cast iron. it is the flat skillet that has another smaller skillet on it. The low sides let you get your spatula right underneath the omelette and eggs. The only difference is my pan is not hammered so does not have the marks on it.

Tndrbstr. thanks for posting the pics, nice to see all the different cast iron.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I'm sure I have posted this pic before, but I might as well do it again as it is relevant to the thread. The bottom DO will hold a 10 lb bag of potatoes. I will have to take a pic. of my stovetop cast iron later.
[Linked Image]

S
sse Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Wow...! Great stuff. I wonder how much the entire collection weighs...

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I agree great stuff! I love cooking with my cast iron. Only thing I have that is "old" is from my Mom. I almost cried when I found out my Grandmothers cast iron was sold at her estate sale. I wasn't close enough to attend frown

I have a set I bought at Herter's when I was a teenager, a few pans from my Mom and other than that some current Lodge stuff. I avoid the Chinese made stuff like the plague.

Neat to see stuff made at a local foundry!

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Here is the rest of the cast iron cooking pieces I have. There is some lodge, Wagner old and new, and some chinese. normally the chinese stuff has been gifts. The one in the center is the one I use for eggs and omelettes and has never had an egg stick on it.
[Linked Image]

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
tndrbstr - that is a wonderful collection! I feel like an underachiever now. I at least have to take pictures of mine when the snow melts a little and the sun stays up longer.

Robster - I only have three of those footed Dutch ovens so far. I have to keep a look out for a low sided skillet now. I have a little oval fajitas skillet(?) but that is just not the same. My wife picked a cast iron bead/meatloaf pan but has not tried it yet.

You all might like this cooking forum: http://foodsoftheworld.activeboards.net/forums.html

Last edited by Arbalester; 02/02/12.
byc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Arbalester
I started obsessively collection mostly old cast iron when I lived in Mountain City, TN and was reenacting with the Over Mountain Men at Ft. Watauga.

First off I have a ton (likely 100 pieces) of CI that I'll post up when I get back to SC.

However, for now Arbalester please tell me about Mountain City, TN. I'm giving serious thought to either moving there or buying a deer camp in that vicinity. PM if you'd like.

Sorry to the OP for the OT post.

David

Proud to be a true Sandlapper!!

Go Nats!!!!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
David..I can help a little with Mountain City. Nice little, very remote, mountain town. Have to be going there to get there, won't pass through going somewhere else. Only one good road from the TN side going in...the other one that goes through Happy Valley is too crooked and up and down the mountains. Pure mountain folk...salt of the earth. Not sure what else to say except you need to travel there and look around some before moving for good. Remote and hard to get to is an understatement. Of course not too far to some bigger towns...Elizabethton, Johnson City, etc. Good area of the state.

Elwood

S
sse Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
The one in the center is the one I use for eggs and omelettes and has never had an egg stick on it.

What is the technique you use to accomplish that? If I could figure it out, I'd cook more eggs in mine.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I cleaned it real good with a green scrubby, seasoned it with crisco two times and have not had a problem since. One thing I will say, the reason I use this one is because the eggs don't stick like they do in the others. The reason I believe is that the surface is very smooth, almost like it was milled not cast(if that makes sense). once the coating is on it, I never wash it. I spray cooking oil on it, cook the eggs, and wipe well with a paper towel when done. I spray and heat up (I suppose to kill germs) before I crack eggs on it and never let it get too hot without something on it so I dont overheat and burn off the coating. I never cook anything else on it like ham when making ham and eggs so it doesn't get the salts on it. I do not know why it all works, but it works for me.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

594 members (1lessdog, 160user, 17CalFan, 222Sako, 219 Wasp, 219DW, 65 invisible), 2,291 guests, and 1,281 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,284
Posts18,486,844
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.