Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#6133506 02/04/12
Boise Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I ran into Mike at the Boise knife show and really liked his knives. I've known Mike for many years having worked with him prior to him retiring. He helped me put together my very first knife - a 24hourcamfire clip point provided by Tim Olt. He's been making knives for a long time and the samples I've seen were always exceptionally nice so I asked him to make me one. A couple of months later there was a knock at my door and he hand delivered this:

Just the knife, not the 92
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

My photograph doesn't come close to doing this knife justice. It's mirror finish blade is just one sign of the quality. The grind lines, honestly done by hand, are nothing short of perfect - as confirmed by three different model makers. This knife was all hand done from the sawing of the blank all the way down to the jimping.

I chose the blade profile, D2, and provided the deer antler (same piece on the sheath) and asked Mike to make me a nice one. He went with Granadillo and died maple veneer accent.

His price was rediculously low and leadtime was only a couple of months. I LOVE this knife.

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits. Albert Einstein
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That's very nice! Thanks for showing it I love that handle.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Outstanding combination on the handle !!

See what's available at my website. Thanks

http://aablades.blademakers.com/

Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far.

Theodore Roosevelt
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Wow....speechless here...simply gorgeous

"If dogs don't go to heaven, when I die I want to go wherever they went." -Will Rogers

"If you have a lot of self control you don't need a lot of government control" - Thomas Sowell
R
RNF Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R

Looks like some nice craftemanship and a useful pattern, congrats.

A gun in the hand is worth more than the entire police force on the phone.
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
your friend does good work!!

Sam......

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Tell more about the handle-- awesome

Boise Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Mike is buying his handle materials and sending them off to be stabilized. This was the first I've seen or heard of Granadillo. The dyed maple is 0.020 thick and also subjected to the same stabilizing process. The antler was from a shed I picked up - wished I had given him antler from one of the deer I had taken.

It doesn't show in the photos but the handle metal is fully radius. Not sure how he pulls off such perfect radii while blending with the softer handle material. It does feel great in one's hand.

The handle is skeletonized with a random (not pretty) hole pattern.

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits. Albert Einstein
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Very cool handle! I've heard of Granadillo but never seen it.

Excellent Rifle also!

~ Fort Henry Custom Knives ~

Serious Knives for the Serious Hunter
http://www.forthenrycustomknives.com
Boise Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
The rifle was a pawn shop rescue from many years ago. Purchased as a wall hanger but lots of fun to shoot. Was out shooting it yesterday and figured it would add character. It was a big hit with my friend's wife.

Thought there would be more comments on the sheath and the braided landyard. Mike had been delivering with one of his plain sheaths and I suggested a fancier sheath may increase knife show sales.

IC B3

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Very nice.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

589 members (160user, 219 Wasp, 219DW, 1lessdog, 1minute, 1badf350, 66 invisible), 2,371 guests, and 1,270 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,187
Posts18,503,347
Members73,993
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.