-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Ive got them both too toad, but it seems the Remingtons get the bulk of the use....but they get the bulk of the modification to get them the way I like them too....

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
GB1

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Where's Swampy when you need him?

He who joyfully marches in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would suffice.

- Albert Einstein
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
When have we ever needed him?

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D

Last edited by doubletap; 02/05/12.

He who joyfully marches in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would suffice.

- Albert Einstein
W
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
W
For me the Model 70 is the easy pick.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'd buy the Remchester.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
"When have we ever needed him?". Be nice,now.

"Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right."
Henry Ford

If it's tourist season, why can't we shoot them?
O
OSB Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
Remingtons have the bulk of after market stuff for that reason alone I would pick the Remington. Having said that I do own both.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I hunted with nothing but a Remington from 1974 up until a few years ago. I now much prefer Winchester. I have nothing against Remington, think they make a good rifle, but right now they aren't making anyhing I'd want.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I've owned both too and am down to wichester model 70's now. I'd choose a ruger hawkeye over the rem 700 also....

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I prefer 700's to M70's primarily due to the vaunted M70 safety which I dislike.

I'd be looking for an early 700 KS.

The Chosin Few November to December 1950, Korea.
I'm not one of the Chosin Few but no more remarkable group of Americans ever existed.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I've shot a pile of both and they are both good. Both have pros and cons. It's a personal preference just like a truck as mentioned. The Win safety is just not for me, I hate M70 and M77 safeties. My safe is full of 700s primarily for that reason. I do prefer the old design M70 trigger to the 700 triggers, but both are easy to adjust.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Reloader7RM
I've shot a pile of both and they are both good. Both have pros and cons. It's a personal preference just like a truck as mentioned. The Win safety is just not for me, I hate M70 and M77 safeties. My safe is full of 700s primarily for that reason. I do prefer the old design M70 trigger to the 700 triggers, but both are easy to adjust.

Wow, I thought I was the only one!

The Chosin Few November to December 1950, Korea.
I'm not one of the Chosin Few but no more remarkable group of Americans ever existed.
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I'm not a fan of the M70 safety either. That being said I do own a couple. If I were buying a NIB current offering and had to choose between the two it would be M70 Featherweight.

WarDamnEagle
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I would go model 70 anyday. I have the older model remingtons and they are great. I bought a new 700 7mm o8 and it went down the road really quick just bought a Model 70 feather weight and I am very happy with it.

Model 7's FOR LIFE
dhg Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The preoccupation with swing safeties is an very american thing - i 'spose a M70 legacy. They are as american as apple pie. I have always found them a bit awkward (due to a fractured thumb and subsequent arthritis), but i think it would be safe to say that if i polled amongst those i've shot with over the years the swing safety is one of the most cited criticisms of the Ruger and Winchester. It isn't a big thing and i don't think i have ever met anyone who absolutely hated the swing safety, but it certainly isn't a popular feature in my part of the world - and i wonder if it has contributed to the failure of Winchester to compete with Remington here. Most hunters definitely prefer a simple push forward design rather than the swing design. If you have a look at some of the stuff published by native-born African PHs, it is probably the most commonly cited criticism of both rifles as a DGR (if you read american-born hunters, they will give you a very different opinion, but then most would have grown up with swings). If you have always used them, they are just second nature to you and you'll never think about it. For those of us who grew up with other safeties, sometimes they can seem a little awkward to learn to use quickly. Of course, if that is their biggest failing, then there isn't much wrong with them. And the Remington safety has certainly had more than its fair share of failings.

Last edited by dhg; 02/05/12.

If your dad doesn't have a beard, you've got two mums
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Gravestone
Ok i'm in the market for a new rifle. The only 2 bolt action rifles i've owned are the Rem.78 and a Rem. 700.So i guess for lack of a better description "i'm a remington guy". Now i've shouldered both rifles both are equally comfortable.

I've read quite a bit of possitive pubicity on the model 70.My question is how many of you guys feel it's better than the than the 700 or vise-a-versa....Why do you think on is better than the other?

I know you asked about only two, and I don't mean to be obtuse, but I'd suggest you shoulder one more before you spend your money, especially if you like some of the attributes of the M70.

Whether you want wood and blue or stainless and synthetic, or some combo thereof, I think Kimber beats them both right now.

There are some detractors who point to spotty accuracy, but I think QC is much better at this point, and if you get a good one, you'll be glad you took time to shoulder one more, especially if you are at all interested in a light weight rig.

DJ

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I would buy a Winchester over the M700 even if the M70 cost $150 more than a M700.

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
KDK Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by dhg
I'm only going on gun club gossip, but there doesn't seem to be the same problems with the higher-end Remington M700 that some are reporting with the cheaper rifles.

I have heard (secondhand info, I know, so take it with a grain of salt) of a fair number of XCR IIs with extractor problems. I consider that model to be one of the more high end Remingtons.

Originally Posted by ingwe
This is a shooting forum, there is no place here for logic.
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by doubletap
Where's Swampy when you need him?

Ok, by request! grin

Remington 700's are the most accurate rifles out of the box.
When this was proven we don't know.

The US military and police use M 700 sniper rifles.
The Police use Dodge Chargers for police cars but you can't buy the same cars off the show room floor.

Push feed rifles are more accurate.
They can be. The difference in a big game hunting rifle is almost nil.

Remington M 700's have three (count them 3) rings of steel.
A marketing ploy by Remington to cover up the fact the extractor is a cheap, flimsy POS that happens to work quite well (for a cheap, flimsy POS)
I feel I'm entitled to say it because I have two Remington Rifles. Neither are a 700 but have the POS stamped steel extractor. grin

Last edited by Dave_in_WV; 02/05/12.

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

486 members (1minute, 10gaugemag, 1Longbow, 17Fan, 12344mag, 1_deuce, 56 invisible), 2,897 guests, and 1,270 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,112
Posts18,483,376
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.