Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Dan you've always been a larger is better about calibers kind of guy. You'll always go for a 30cal (maybe magnum) for elk and 7mm (or bigger) for deer.

HR IC

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by NWO
Dan you've always been a larger is better about calibers kind of guy. You'll always go for a 30cal (maybe magnum) for elk and 7mm (or bigger) for deer.

Spoken like a true PNW' er.......

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by BobinNH
Originally Posted by boomwack

Im in belief premium bullets level the playing field from smaller bore vs. large bore.... Not to go to far off topic or hyjack the tread whistle

Agreed....been true at least since guys started shooting animals with Partitions and,a bit later,Bitterroots.

Boomwhack good post! wink

Thank you bobinNH wink Premiums are the reason I tend to use the 7mm caliber on ANYTHING. It took a while, but I finally noticed the partitions and such in the 7mm Lost little to no ground compared even to the .338 in expansion, penetration, bone busting, blood trails. Granted I have not gone after brown bear yet, or calmed a nasty grizzly en' rout for me, but when the chance comes nosler will probably be the bullets.

If got a hanker'n for 300 or a 338, by all means get one, or both!! They are DEADLY on game and a fine addition to the 7mm rem mag. Between those three calibers, short of blue whales, you could kill any game animal on the globe.

happiness is elbow deep in elk guts.
NRA life member
Dan360 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by NWO

That's not totally true as far as deer go. I'd take just about any legal caliber deer hunting unless the ranges were bound to be far. Then, I'd take enough gun to shoot through the wind. 270, 280, 7mm Rem Mag have been favorites of mine though I'd love to give a 25-06 a spin.

As far as elk, you have me pinned. I've been a fan of 30 or 33 calibers for elk but I know for a fact that it doesn't take that much gun to kill an elk. Just my own personal preference I guess.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by safariman
Boomwhack and others.... Slightly off topic, but do you find, as I do, that the big fast 33's hit stuff harder and put 'em down quicker than do any 7mm or 30 cal? My 340 Tyrannosaur aka 338/8mmRemMag with Barnes 225gr TTSX's running 3100fps really puts the hurt on stuff. Tends to make an Elks legs all wobbly at impact.

That said, my Brother in law put one of my 120gr TTSX handloads (3400fps!) from his 7mm Magnum into a black bear in a tree fall before last, and tht poor bear was WAY dead before he hit the ground. Bangflop and DRT on black bear is hard to do. The close range and that the bullet was probably still travelling 3300fps at impact 'might' have had something to do with that..... smile

Safariman: Yes I have seen some times when I got that impression...and then something or several things have happened that made me more confused about the whole cartridge/bore diameter thing than I was before..... eek This is nerve racking!But I try to keep an open mind which is hard sometimes.

One of the fastest black bear kills I have had was with a 280 Remington and a 140 Bitterroot at about 80 yards(he weighed about 300 pounds later on scales); no running gear involved, pure rib/lungs/rib,but the bear was down to the shot and never got up...among many we shot, two of the toughest recoveries came from bears hit a smidge far back with a 340 Weatherby and a 257 Roberts.....

Three companions spread out in an oak brush canyon on an elk hunt we were on....and by good fortune they each got cracks at bulls...These were not really long range shots, maybe in the 250-350 yard range,and when the melee was over all 3 elk were dead.Funny thing was one was armed with a 340 Weatherby, another with a 300 Win Mag, and the third a 7 Rem mag.....I carried a 300 mag a lot in those days, either Winchester or Weatherby,and used both with good success...another bull on another hunt,gave me a bit of a problem with a 300 Weatherby.I chased him down and killed him,jumping him from his bed,injured but still very much alive.

There are more of these "experiences" but these come to mind...

In reconciling this stuff over the years,it dawned on me that the biggest single factor that made things go from "simple" to "rodeo",and distinguished these experiences,was...... bullet placement . I noticed that the truly spectacular kills, with any of the cartridges, depended on putting a good bullet in pretty exactly the right spot.

It makes sense to me that certain bullets (not all) of 30,338,358 and 375 caliber of heavier weight,tougher construction,and greater cross sectionl areas, should do a better job of breaking heavy bones,tearing up more flesh and tissue,and creating more trauma,than smaller calibers..(if this were not true,we'd shoot Cape Buffalo with 243's)...but it also seems that some (not all) bullets of (say) 6.5, 270, and 7mm,also do a good job at this stuff,and while they may lack the weight of the bigger stuff,their construction lets them inflict enough wounding capability to overwhelm the life support systems of a pretty wide range of game animals,if properly placed.

Bullet placement and construction seem to be the equalizers,and the shooters ability to direct a bullet where it needs to go is paramount,whether,from a big cartridge or a smaller one...the reason I don't get too excited anymore over the "differences" between a (for example)270 and a 280AI or 30/06.

For some shooters, excessive recoil gets in the way of the placement equation;and some have the "bigger is better" mentality but at the same time do not have the training and practice levels to extract full value from a bigger, heavier recoiling rifle..They mistakenly buy the bigger cartridge,and expect dramatic results,even if they can't shoot it well(They also frequently kid themselves about their ability to do so)......these are the guys in search of magical effect from rifles and cartridges, thinking the magic is in the caliber,the headstamp,and the power...it isn't. It's in the bullets, and where they go that matters most.

I think this is why you saw what you saw,and what many of us have seen over the years. My 2 cents.... wink smile

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Bob,

Terrific post, thank you for your thougthful, reasoned and experience based comments. I agree that good bullets have leveled the playing field greatly. I would not hesitate to hunt Elk these days with my 257WBY using the Barnes 100gr TTSX bullets and may yet do so.

My Uberfast 33 might become a 7RUM or STW someday. Jury is still out for me as I just plain like the big bullet on some things where my 416 Rigby is just a tad too much. Probably old prejudices and my love for overkill combined with good experineces with this rifle and cartridge both here and in Africa. If the lower 48 was the extent of my hunting, the rifle in question probably would have remained a 300WBY like its last barrel was or maybe have been a really big 7mm of some sort.

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Safariman: You have the field and shooting experience to extract full value from your 338 wildcat;know how to manage the rifle well.If I were you I wouldn't change a thing.... smile

But what I also seem to see is that for guys like you, it doesn't matter what you shoot. You will do well with anything you pick up....and if the time comes that you decide to do it,you could step down to a Big 7mm or something in that range,and do just fine! smile

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
The first bolt action centerfire I bought was a walnut Ruger Mk II 7x57. The second I bought was a walnut M700 in .280 with 24 inch barrel. You gentlemen are making it very hard for me to justify a 7 Mashburn Super, a 300 Weatherby, and an 8mm Rem Mag!!!!!

smile smile

Last edited by Dogger; 02/07/12. Reason: spellin'
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Dogger a guy always needs a spare! smile

Shoot what you like,and like what you shoot.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I like just about everything... that is my problem... smile

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by noharleyyet
Have a 7 Rem Mag, 7 RUM, 300 WSM, and two 300 Win Mags...redundancy or adequate backup???

.280 Rem, 7mm RM, .308 Win, .30-06, .30-06, .30-06, .300WM, .338 WM.

What I've done with any could have been done by all.

I like the redundancy and the backup.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by Dan360
As far as elk, you have me pinned. I've been a fan of 30 or 33 calibers for elk but I know for a fact that it doesn't take that much gun to kill an elk. Just my own personal preference I guess.

It certainly makes sense in Washington. Use something bigger, put it down faster. Then, hopefully, avoid the "that's my elk" argument with someone else who shot your elk as it ran off, though already fatally hit. *and no this has never happened to me, but have heard about it*

I quite honestly don't think I even want to hunt in (western) Washington anymore.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by noharleyyet
Have a 7 Rem Mag, 7 RUM, 300 WSM, and two 300 Win Mags...redundancy or adequate backup???

I am pretty sure it is a good start....

7x61 S&H,.308 Win, .30-06, .30-06, .30-06, .338 Win, .35 Whelen,

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by NWO
Originally Posted by Dan360

It certainly makes sense in Washington. Use something bigger, put it down faster. Then, hopefully, avoid the "that's my elk" argument with someone else who shot your elk as it ran off, though already fatally hit. *and no this has never happened to me, but have heard about it*

I quite honestly don't think I even want to hunt in (western) Washington anymore.

About three years ago really bad snow made it impossible for me to get to my old haunts in the SW Mt. Adams area. It also made it impossible for many others to get to THEIR old favorite spots. All of us hunters were packed into lower country. After two days of seeing a sea of Orange around every possible Elk travel route and no elk I called it quits on my week long scheduled hunt and packed up camp. Just was not fun and I thought it dangerous. I have not been back there since.

At a loss as to what or where to go in WA state to have a decent Elk hunt. Cannot stomach hunting only Spikes on this side of the Mountains.

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

594 members (16penny, 10gaugeman, 17Hunter, 163bc, 1234, 10gaugemag, 65 invisible), 2,145 guests, and 1,214 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,824
Posts18,496,551
Members73,979
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.