Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
dhg Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
As the extractors are the same on all their rifles, i 'spose that is to be expected. My comment was probably more regarding some folks dissapointing experiences with feed and barrels on base models in more recent times.

I really think for most folks the small possibility of an extractor failing is a complete irrelevance. But to be completely honest, to us loonies it can be a big deal! And when the differences between rifle's performance in the field is so small, these are the things that start to matter. I care more about a 1:1000 chance that my extractor might fail than the ballistic difference between a 308 and a 30-06 - in practice i think it is more significant. But to my mind, the extractor issue is balanced by the lighter weight of the Remington.

If your dad doesn't have a beard, you've got two mums
HR IC

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by dhg
The preoccupation with swing safeties is an very american thing - i 'spose a M70 legacy. They are as american as apple pie. I have always found them a bit awkward (due to a fractured thumb and subsequent arthritis), but i think it would be safe to say that if i polled amongst those i've shot with over the years the swing safety is one of the most cited criticisms of the Ruger and Winchester. It isn't a big thing and i don't think i have ever met anyone who absolutely hated the swing safety, but it certainly isn't a popular feature in my part of the world - and i wonder if it has contributed to the failure of Winchester to compete with Remington here. Most hunters definitely prefer a simple push forward design rather than the swing design. If you have a look at some of the stuff published by native-born African PHs, it is probably the most commonly cited criticism of both rifles as a DGR (if you read american-born hunters, they will give you a very different opinion, but then most would have grown up with swings). If you have always used them, they are just second nature to you and you'll never think about it. For those of us who grew up with other safeties, sometimes they can seem a little awkward to learn to use quickly. Of course, if that is their biggest failing, then there isn't much wrong with them. And the Remington safety has certainly had more than its fair share of failings.

American? It came from the Mauser.

Money can't buy you happiness, but it can buy you a hunting license and that's pretty close.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
What Mauser sports a SIDE swing three position safety?

The Chosin Few November to December 1950, Korea.
I'm not one of the Chosin Few but no more remarkable group of Americans ever existed.
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by doubletap
Where's Swampy when you need him?

He could be out and about, shooting dinks out of his golf cart... laugh

DF

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by nsaqam
What Mauser sports a SIDE swing three position safety?

Ok, the position is a bit different. smile

Money can't buy you happiness, but it can buy you a hunting license and that's pretty close.
IC B2

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
I'd go with the new M-70. I would purge it of MIM parts, which would include the trigger, not sure about the current extractor. At one time, replacing the factory extractor with a forged steel, aftermarket part was the way to go. I'd pillar bed, glass and free float mine, then take it to the range.

IMHO,

DF

KDK Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by dhg
As the extractors are the same on all their rifles, i 'spose that is to be expected. My comment was probably more regarding some folks dissapointing experiences with feed and barrels on base models in more recent times.

I really think for most folks the small possibility of an extractor failing is a complete irrelevance. But to be completely honest, to us loonies it can be a big deal! And when the differences between rifle's performance in the field is so small, these are the things that start to matter. I care more about a 1:1000 chance that my extractor might fail than the ballistic difference between a 308 and a 30-06 - in practice i think it is more significant. But to my mind, the extractor issue is balanced by the lighter weight of the Remington.

Actually, what I was referring to was a number of guns where the extractor was either installed incorrectly, or the wrong extractor was installed, leading to very tight chambering, if possible, of a fresh round, not a failure due to work-hardening of the metal.

Originally Posted by ingwe
This is a shooting forum, there is no place here for logic.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Can't buy new nowadays... but I'd take a Model 30S over a Model 700...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

dhg Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Dave_in_WV
Originally Posted by doubletap
Where's Swampy when you need him?

Ok, by request! grin

Remington 700's are the most accurate rifles out of the box.
When this was proven we don't know.

I think by a quick look at rifles you are likely to see at any precision shooting competition, you can take it as fact. But, yep, i would agree that it would be unrealitic to expect to pick a new M700 out of a box and expect it to outshoot a M70. And of course, the M70 is also used as a law enforcement and military sniper rifle - which i don't think has much to do with anything!

To my mind the differences boil down to this. The Winchester is heavier, because it has a flat bottomed reciever. IMHO, all good mauser actions have a lot of metal about the lower part of the reciever. It is necessitated by the full-length claw extractor and big ejection port. Not a good thing or a bad thing - it is just the way it is with mausers. The Winchester seems right to me if you want a mauser action.

The virtues of the Remington lie in its ability to provide a high degree of accuracy in a lightweight platform - the Remington M700 action remains simultaneously of the most accurate and lightest actions on the market. And this is because it is a cylindrical action - which means both less metal in the reciever, and also greater symmetry and ease of accurising.

I would get a Remington if i wanted a really lightweight platform for a mountain rifle, for which accuracy demands a pretty high. I would get the M70 if i wanted reliability. Probably like most folks here though, i have come to the conclusion that reliability is in practice the most significant difference between differing rifle models these days - because just about any new factory rifle will shoot plenty accurate enough that any extensive tuning will produce improvements that are just not significant in a hunting rifle. So i 'spose i am more of a Winchester guy.

Last edited by dhg; 02/05/12.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Seafire
Can't buy new nowadays... but I'd take a Model 30S over a Model 700...

I don't buy new, either. I wouldn't turn down a 60's or 70's vintage 700 or a good condition model 30, if the deal was right. Pre-64 M-70's always interest me.

Just trying to answer the OP within the parameters he set... smile

Df

IC B3

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
dhg, I agree with you. The m 700 action is used for competition far more. The M700 is like a Chevy pickup or a M 1911, there's more after market parts available than any thing else in their league. My gunsmith told me it's easier to bed a round bottom action for accuracy than a flat one and it costs less to set up a M 700 action.

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
dhg Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Going off on a tangent, on the safety issue i have always assumed that the M70 swing safety was probably derived from modififactions made to mauser 98s and then applied to the M70 design. I assumed that custom makers making swing safety modifications to mauser 98s came before the M70 design. Does anyone know which came first - customised mausers with horizontal swing safeties, or the M70 safety design?

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by dhg
......Does anyone know which came first - customised mausers with horizontal swing safeties, or the M70 safety design?

I think it was the M70 first....thre may have been some Tilden conversions of M70 pre-war safeties, whcih is very similar to the M70 design.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Cant go wrong with either and I own both. The 700 with it lighter action and heavier barrel balances better than a model 70 IMO. The ejector on the 700 has been problematic for me at times, but otherwise my 700's have been bullet proof. I have never had any function issues with a model 70 once they are set up. When I say setup what I mean is I replace the factory extractor with a williams, and drop a STW follower in the stock box after removing the spacer. This works on both standard rounds like the 270 and magnums like the 300 win mag, 7mm rem mag, etc. The 700 have been slightly more accurate on for me, but I never had a 70 that wouldnt shoot with handloads it liked.

V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
I have owned at least 40 brand new Remington model 700's over the years and been around at least a 100 more owned by friends and shooting club guy's and I have never witnessed a malfunction of any kind, these major extractor issues I am reading about have never happened in My presence and I have not experienced any QC issues on any of My new 700 rifles, this may be because I tend to buy the higher end 700's not the SPS models or Wal-Mart rifles, I buy mostly CDL and XCR/XCR II models. I have owned a dozen or so model 70's but never one of the new FN Models, I do think they are a quality rifle, I just can't seem to warm back up to Winchester rifles after I witnessed so many dog's that came out of the New Haven plant during the last few years of production. I do think these QC issues have been addressed in South Carolina though and might someday take the Winchester plunge again, I am also like many others and don't really care for the three position swing safety or the looks of the model 70 claw extractor action but these are personal dislikes that the next man might love. I can say that My 700's have been a bit more accurate on average than My model 70's were in fact a few of those model 70's demonstrated horrible scatter-gun accuracy and were nightmares in the accuracy department...............Hb

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I am like many here that have posted in that I own both a M-700 and a M-70. I also like both of them, but I favor my Winchester M-70 clasic Super Grade. I like the 3 - position safety of the Winchester better and like the Mauser claw extractor also. Ido not feel under-armed with the Remington at all, but the Winchester has features that are more desireable to be. Kinda like the differnce between a Chevrolet and a Cadillac comparing the M-700 to the M-70. Either one will get the job done with comparable reliability. The Cadillac (M-70) just seems to have more desireable features. Having said that, I own 2 Winchester rifles, 1 Winchester shotgun, 3 Remington rifles, and 2 Remington shotguns.

"...why, land is the only thing in the world worth working for, worth fighting for, worth dying for,... because it is the only thing that lasts."
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
It's too bad that many folks base their evaluation of the M70 on the New Haven rifles produced after 1964,and especially some of the Classics. If that's all a guy has been exposed to,it's understandable that he may think quality was all over the map.The pre 64's might have declined cosmetically,but never reached a point where they would not shoot and function.

I have run into the same things myself with the Classics and some of them were/are fine and accurate rifles,but others were real dogs. I have had a few of each kind.If you gave them the right TLC and tweaking, they turned into a great rifle.

In my brief experiences with 5 SC rifles there was not much to fault;they all functioned and shot great.

I like the 3 position safety,trigger,CRF,and easy bolt disassembly and other M70 design features of the M70 vs the Rem 700, but this is my own preference thing.

I don't go ape over either one made today, but stick a really nice pre 64 M70 or Mauser under my nose and my attitude changes. smile

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I own more M700's than any other type. Having said that my last centerfire rifle purchase was a M70 Super Grade. Fit and finish and especially blueing seemed far better than on any of the recent Remingtons. Of course, I stumbled onto a really well priced gun which had a lot to do with it.

Only have fired enough shots so far to get on paper but it looks as though it has potential.

Jim

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I think Kimber beats them both right now.

[/quote]

I just looked @ a Kimber last week.Nice rifle,but i'm not to hung up on the light wieght thing.My 700 in 243 wieghs 8 1/2 lbs.and it doesn't bother me to carry it.

Last edited by Gravestone; 02/06/12.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Bay_Dog
Neither is better than the other. You may as well throw in Tikka, Ruger, Savage, Thompson Center, Browning, Sako, Weatherby, Howa, etc. and ask the same question.

It's a Chevy/Ford question and you're the only one that can answer your question.
What he said..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

572 members (1minute, 264magnum, 06hunter59, 222Sako, 160user, 10gaugemag, 65 invisible), 2,358 guests, and 1,267 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,538
Posts18,491,436
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.