Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
It doesn't make a damn bit of difference what materials are used in construction or what design is superior to another if tight manufacturing tolerances are not maintained and critical parts are all geehawed out of whack with one another. This is where Remington and New Haven often fell flat on their faces. Either one can be straightened out and manufacturing flaws corrected but unfortunately far too many need a fair bit of rebuilding before they amount to much. I don't like buying rifle kits that need rebuilding in order to perform as they should and in that regard Tikka/Sako have it all over mainstream American products IME.

HR IC

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Gravestone

Receiver -
*Winchester has an integrated recoil lug machined into the receiver. Tikka's recoil lug is a piece of metal pressed into the stock that fits a slot milled into the receiver.

Aren't the M70 receivers cast?

A wise man is frequently humbled.

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
Originally Posted by smokepole

Receiver -
*Winchester has an integrated recoil lug machined into the receiver. Tikka's recoil lug is a piece of metal pressed into the stock that fits a slot milled into the receiver.

They are forged and machined according to the latest brochure.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by smokepole

Receiver -

No! You must are confusing the M70 with Ruger, the M70 receiver is a forged and then machined to shape.

The MRC is a cast receiver, I have read reports but have not confirmed that the newer Sako's are a cast receiver also.

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Thanks for the clarification. My bad, meant to say forged (vs. machined), too much beer yesterday.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

IC B2

V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
Originally Posted by ltppowell
Ok i'm in the market for a new rifle. The only 2 bolt action rifles i've owned are the Rem.78 and a Rem. 700.So i guess for lack of a better description "i'm a remington guy". Now i've shouldered both rifles both are equally comfortable.

I've read quite a bit of possitive pubicity on the model 70.My question is how many of you guys feel it's better than the than the 700 or vise-a-versa....Why do you think on is better than the other?

The best bet is to get a 700, but tell the wackos at the 'Fire that you got a 70. That way everybody will be happy.
Funny!!!..............Hb

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
own em all shoot em all love em all

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I have a M700 BDL at my gunsmith right now with a broken extractor, he has been trying to get a replacement from Remington since mid October. I have 13 m700's & 7 m70's. A few of the M70's were bought new, none of the Remingtons were bought new. If I was going to buy a new gun it would be a M70, if used my 1st choice would be a M700KS if I could find/afford 1 if not I'd buy a SAKO L61, AIII or AV for about $650.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
you can have a replacement from brownells in about 2 days..

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
No question, the M70!!!

NRA Benefactor member
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Take a tour of the Rem factory and watch them chamber a 700...

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Exactly what makes an investment cast receiver inferior to a forged and machined one, for all practical purposes. Those damned cast Rugers keep on tick'n and tak'n a lick'n. And they look pretty damn good too. I have owned and used both for many years and functionally and visually, there's no difference.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Just remember, everything sucks except old Winchesters, Sako's and rifles with names that you can't pronounce. Military and LE snipers, long range target champions and the majority of hunters are full of crap. (Good post, by the way. smile )

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
[bleep] the M70.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by rosco1
Originally Posted by Savage_99
Gravestone,

The M70 differs from the 700 design by a wide margin. It's not at all a Chevy/Ford thing if one appreciates mechanical design.

At least both are made in the USA which is good for us.

While I like the stock design and checkering pattern on the new 700's and I had a 722 back in the 50's and a 700 later I don't like the design for a hunting rifle. I do have two 40x's for target shooting and they have not broken yet.

The M70 design more closely follows the mauser design with its control round feeding of cartridges. Just look at the tiny toy like extractor on a 700 along with its clumsy spring loaded ejector and it will give you pause if you like machinery.

Then when you find out that the bolt lug section on a 700 is brazed onto the bolt body your stomach will turn. Of course you know that the bolt handles break off of the 700's more often!

Work a M70 safety and see how it holds the firing pin back on both full safe when it locks the bolt handle and also it holds the firing pin back on the half position so that you can unload a hot chamber safely. You can't do this with a 700.

There is also the Ruger 77 you know. It's also a much better design than the 700.

[Linked Image]

Rem. bolt above.

Dawn,Go fire a hot load in your beloved pre-64M 70, then post a picture of your eye and tell us how superior they are in design...

Never seen the draw to the model 70, especially pre-64's, they took a 1898 technology and went backwards with it, but somehow get praise for it..but to each their own. (i'm sure this will start a chit storm)

Oh no, now you went and done it. I hope you are wearing your nomex underware.....
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Just from my experience, I have hunted with my M70 classic (circa 1994) exclusively and never had a problem. In the last few years I bought a few Remington model 700 and 7's and none feel as good as my old Model 70. Have a new Model 70 ftw in 7mm-08 that I am thinking about trading but only for another FN Model 70 ftw but in 243 (guess I'm a recoil wuss in my old age lol). Both are great, but I just like my Model 70 the best, but really, you wont go wrong with either.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I know, none of you guys have seen a remington 700 with extraction problems. Ok, I've had one remington 722 300 savage
[Linked Image]
(pic of the actual rifle)
with extraction problems and it was a nightmare finding another extractor, I had a new remington 700 bdl that was one of the nicest rifles I've ever owned, have extractor problems, I've also had another new remington 700 that didn't want to chamber factory ammo: After it fired on it's own I took it back to the gunshop I bought it from and had them send it too a factory authorized service center and when it came back I sold it. The same went for the others I had problems with. I guess I've just been very unlucky with remingtons and lucky with model 70's (never had a problem with a model 70 of any kind that I can think of). That's why I vote model 70........

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If you can only own one, the Winchester. Since this makes three, then you can always bring at least two, so it doesn't matter.

I hunt with Remington 700/7s but always have back up. I've only had one bolt handle pop loose so I trust them. wink

(For those who don't trust cast steel...ever try to blow one up? Cast steel ain't cast iron ain't cast aluminum...)

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
M
MLF Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Both rifles are capable of extreme accuracy. You can get lucky with a new rifle that is an exceptional shooter but its not usually the norm. I hope accuracy is not your only requirement. If you are a gun nut like all of us and can't leave well enouph alone you'll find an excuse to throw money at your mechanical children untill you find it necessary to adopt another one. The Rem.700 is cheaper to manufacture and any descent gunsmith can work on it with little expenditure in money, but some of the 700 custom clones can run you over $1200 just for the action. If you are a paper shooter/long range that's the easiest way to go. The Win 70 classic which was reengineered by the Miller Co. of Tucson AZ. and reintroduced in the early 90's has the vent holes in the bottom of the bolt to take care of hot gas issues .....problem solved if you buy a Win. 70, get one with the Classic designation. Winchester actions have more to them in design inherited from the 98 Mauser and they are all for a purpose designed for war, since they are more complex not every gunsmith knows how to tweak them and many butcher them. Machined actions are smoother and feel better in operation, cast actions are just as strong and have been unfairly labeled as week as long as you look on who is doing the casting process and not all are the same. Ruger firearms are tanks and they have it down well they also do work or used to cast Mrc 1999 actions. There is a lot of subcontracting work between gun companies than any of us will ever know. As for safeties I like the strong and tight tang safeties such as the ones seen on double rifles or shotguns, but I strongly dislike the ones on Rem. 700 or Sakos, try to walk through the alders or any brushy area especially dangerous game area while chambered and keep the safety on safe, it always manages to silently creep to the fire position, its an accident waiting to happen. I love the Win. three position safety, its always positive and safe. Extractors is another sore subject with a lot of people but it is extremely important and must be understood. The tiny Rem. extractor is plenty and lots of people use it for a life time and not have a problem, and some people might not put a box of ammo through their rifle in a year or two and never feel the urge or need for something different. UNTILL something serious happens then you'll swear your never going to put yourself in that predicement again, when you know bigger , stronger extractors with larger purchase exist that will grip the case and not tear and leave an empty case in the chamber with no chance to reload! If you hunt guided with a couple of guns of substantial caliber waiting to pull you out of a jam then it's a no problem in fact you can hunt with a single shot . I personally hunt alone without that luxury. I had Sako Av and 700 and both double fed and thats a nono. Some companies such as Cooper greatly enhanced the feeding design from the magazine and solved the issue, not Rem. 700's. One issue with the 700 that hit the news a couple of years ago was the lawsuits against Rem. for many fatalities due to the rifle firing when you close the bolt after chambering with the safety engaged. It was cheaper to pay the families who can afford to sue than recall all 700's, shame on them they will never see a penny of my money. Winchester prior to shutting down in N.H. had old machinery that needed replacement quality was iffy but the design was great. I prefer the old trigger compared to the Fn. and the S.C. rifles are not made in left hand which I am, so they wont see my money either. That's the problem with genuine American companies owned by foreign entities with bean counters making decisions. My advice find a Win. 70 NH that has been worked on or customized and is being offered for sale used by the good folkes on the fire and don't look back. It's all about choices and this one is yours to make. Best of luck.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Excellent post and spot on..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

558 members (222Sako, 338rcm, 1minute, 338reddog, 264magnum, 63 invisible), 2,350 guests, and 1,295 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,541
Posts18,491,511
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.