Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Farmboy1
Originally Posted by 338rcm
Originally Posted by castor
Thanks for the suggestions. The Docter sounds good and the price is right but I checked the merkel site and it does not mention optics. I have not been able to locate any dealers/repair center so I'm hesitant on this one. Looking back through the posts I see Zen Ray ED2 & ED3 mentioned quite often. Anyone have experience with these? Are they the same as the Talons? How would these measure against the pentax?
Thanks

I called CDNN investments today and spoke with Steve about the Docter binos. All he could tell me was they have a 30 year warranty. He couldnt answer if its a U.S. warranty or the have to go back to Germany.

There are several retail sellers of Docter Otics, Bear Basin, optics Planit, SWFA and Euro optic to name a few, so I would think there would have to be a U.S. warranty but cant verify.

Steve said they are down to 19 8x42 models, when they are gone there wont be anymore

Seems to be a big push for Docter here, are you a salesman? Bear Basin is no longer a dealer, I talked to them, the reason why, service and sales support were very weak. I would go slow.

Farmboy,,

No not a salesman, the OP mentioned the Docters, I had a pair a few years ago and wish I still had them. I just bought another set of 8x43 binos or I would buy another set of the Docters, I personally wouldnt worry about the warranty as I dought you would ever need it. They probably would have to go back to Germany for repair if ever needed.

Tough to find any Japanese made binos in this price range let alone German made. I'd take these over any of the Chinese made binos no matter the cost or warranty question

GB1

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by JGRaider
So do you recommend Kahles in light of their weak support and service in the USA?

You'll never go wrong with anything from Kahles. Their service is handled by swarovski in cranston RI. I wouldn't hesitate to buy them.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
castor,

Welcome.

A couple hours ago I went to Medford Sportsman Warehouse. The sky was totally overcast and duskie; close to dark. I asked the optics guy if I could take some binos out side the store to compare with a couple of my stuff. I indicated the Swarovski 8.5X42. He picked them up and walked out of the store.

I placed my new optics chart clear across the parking lot and lazered it: 82 yards. The first line uses number 80 print. The seocnd is 70 print, the third line is 60 print, the forth line is 50 print, fifth line 40 print and sixth line is 35 print.

I laid out three sand bags and asked him to put the Swaro on one. I laid the Bushnell Ultra HD Legend 8X42 on the other and the Swarovski z5 5-25X52 on the last one. After adjusting the Swaro I could read the forth line with ease and sorta make out some letters in the next line, but culd not read any words. With the Bushnell I could easily read the forth line and could not make out any of the letters of the fifth line. If I called the Swaro a 100 the Bushnell would be a 96.

Then I went to the scope. I slowly turned it up till I could read the forth line and looked at the setting: 8X; same as the bins. No suprise because it is great glass. I thne turned it up till I could see the last line clearly: 10X. I asked the store man to go through the same routine. When he finished looking through the binos he said,

"Are those Bushnells the Ledgends?" Then he picked them up and looked at them and said,
"I see. You pay ten times as much for the Swarovskis and get a little bit better binoculars. At best they are only ten to fifteen percent better."

Then he looked through the scope on 8X.
"Wow!," he exclaimed. That's nice."
"It goes up to 25X. Turn it up and take a look," I suggested.

He acted like he didn't beleive me so I turned it up and made sure it was adjusted for clearity.

He tried to look through it and mumbled something. I don't think he was looking through it correctly. Teh eyebox on 25X is pretty small. I got down and looked through it. I could see the wrinkles in the celephane tape. There's no way I can see as much detail with a bino of any quality on 8X as I can with a good scope on a higher setting.

I digress. What I wanted you to know is you are not going to get your money's worth if you spend more than $250.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
ilike is talking about the new MONARCH 5 Binocular's. While I do not own a pair,yet, I have throughly looked them over and I am very impressed. Very good quality and a great value. If you have a chance to look through a pair I think you will be very pleased.

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
I can't tell you how the Doctor 8X42's will do compared to the ones you've already tried. But I can tell you that there are lots of things to consider when looking for binocular.
I own eight binoculars for hunting. Everything from the cheap $100 or less Leupold Yosemite to an expensive 12X50 Leica. All of them have their uses. What surprised me was how different they perform in the field. I have, for instance, two 6x's and one 6.5X. You'd think they'd be so similar, I might as well pick one and sell the rest. Not so. Same thing with the three 8X binoculars I have. None are for sale.
If you are really interested in a particular binocular, I suggest you find a dealer that will sell you one with a guarantee of a full refund if you aren't satisfied. I know Doug at Cameraland and Cabela's will do this because I've done just that.
You are the one that must weigh the pros and cons. Not me.
Unlike rifle scopes, we can do this sort of thing with binoculars and I suggest you do. E

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Unlike rifle scopes, we can do this sort of thing with binoculars and I suggest you do. E

here's a heads up. I ordered a scope from Doug. It was not up to the standard I wanted and was able to return it for a full refund.

Even better than that is Bushnell's Elite guarnentee. They give you a full year to return it. All you need is the receipt.

Everyday Hunter
L
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
L
Originally Posted by LRCampos

I am on the same situation... want a good binoculars for up to 350 dollars aprox.

I am curious on the ZenRay ED2 and how they compare with Leupold Cascades, Bushnell Legend and Nikon.

My goal is for hunting at mid range.

I have a pair of ZRS HD. It's clearly a better glass than Nikon Monarch. Just placed an order for ZEN ED3 last week after doing some research on several optics sights

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
The Bushnell Elites have never sold well from what I've seen. Didn't Bushnell just stop making them ? I suspect they made that offer to get people to try them. Doesn't look like it worked. That's too bad. They were very good, reliable scopes.
The only way to test a scope properly is to mount it on a rifle and try it for a while in the field. You can do that with a binocular and still return it w/o things like ring marks. You can rarely do that with a scope. E

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Here is a copy and paiste from www.bushnell.com. The Elite is the first scope on the list.

Elite�
Elite� Tactical
Legend� Ultra-HD
Tactical Red Dot
Trophy XLT
Banner
Yardage Pro
DOA�
Accessories
Tech Talk
Instruction Manuals

Everyday Hunter
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I think Eremicus was referring to the Elite bino's (open bridge one's made in Japan) and he is, for the most part, correct that they didn't sell all that well. To bad, as they were extremely well made and had very, very good optics.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Whooops. I choked. Sorry "E".

Everyday Hunter
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
try to find some minox hg sometimes you can find em used for that price

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
If anyone is interested I have a pair of 8.5x43 HG (Japan) NIB. Bought from Doug at Cameraland to compare with some of my Swaros I have. PM if interested...

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
If anyone is interested I have a pair of 8.5x43 HG (Japan) NIB. Bought from Doug at Cameraland to compare with some of my Swaros I have. PM if interested...

If the Swaros rate a 100 out of a score of 100 what would the HG rate?

Everyday Hunter
I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
The Vortex Viper HDs seem like a good choice given his constraints and desires.

If you're not burning through batteries in your headlamp,...you're doing it wrong.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

541 members (10gaugeman, 2500HD, 22250rem, 06hunter59, 1234, 222Sako, 53 invisible), 3,348 guests, and 1,238 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,704
Posts18,534,752
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.