Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by luv2safari
I also cut apart shotgun shells and dump everything out. Then I just pop the primer while holding the shotgun. They learn to associate a pop from the shotgun with fun or goodies.

I've broken half a dozen gun-shy dogs this way, too. After a while just the sight of the gun gets them excited.

Easier and cheaper to take a fired shotgun hull and drill out the primer pocket with a 1/4" drill. You just slip in a primer by hand and after fireing, just tap the edge of the rim and the fired primer falls out.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'll do that. It will save time and money. laugh I'm working with a 2 1/2 Y/O rookie right now. She doesn't seem gun shy, but I want to work into the report of the gun softly.

She is very birdy with a lot of pointing instinct. Molly is a dog given back to me by a very good friend who learned of Ms. Scarlet's death; she is Scarlet's granddaughter and her clone. Molly was a backyard pet, but she is a dead-serious hunter...good instincts.

Thanks for the tip.

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

S
ScottM Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
Just an update on this setter. Unfortunately she has definitely been made gun shy. I was disappointed but grateful I have all spring and summer to work it out of her.

Its frustrating that people don't take time and prevent gun shyness. I've never had a dog that suffered from it.

The church is close, but the road is icey. The tavern is far, but I will walk carefully. -Russian Proverb
C
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
C
I have no doubt that you can work it out. Sounds like she has drive, so working the gun sounds around birds will be the way to go.

S
ScottM Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
Well after a week and a half of work we have made a little progress. Not a ton, but some at least. Still working in pretty heavy cover with lots of birds toting a 22 rifle. This morning was the most promising. Eight or ten shots over the space of a few hours and many birds produced some notable progress. Like I said, still got a ways to go but am encouraged.

Other than this gun shyness she has been nothing but pleasurable. The vet gave her the once over and thinks she's three. Makes sense as she has more history than we first expected. She made the transition into our home easier than I would have thought. She's even been to 2nd grade show and tell.

Still getting used to the soft nature of these setters. Have had labs, gsp's, and heelers my entire life and this is definitely the most sensitive dog I've ever worked with. Coincidentally it's also my wife's favorite. In the past she couldn't have cared less about my hunting dogs. Now she cares a great deal about this one.

I took some pictures this morning and am going to try and get some posted just for kicks.

Thanks again for the help and encouragement.

Scott

The church is close, but the road is icey. The tavern is far, but I will walk carefully. -Russian Proverb
IC B2

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by luv2safari
I'll do that. It will save time and money. laugh I'm working with a 2 1/2 Y/O rookie right now. She doesn't seem gun shy, but I want to work into the report of the gun softly.

She is very birdy with a lot of pointing instinct. Molly is a dog given back to me by a very good friend who learned of Ms. Scarlet's death; she is Scarlet's granddaughter and her clone. Molly was a backyard pet, but she is a dead-serious hunter...good instincts.

Thanks for the tip.

Luv2 safari very pleased for you. must of seemed like xmas and winning the lottery when the new dog showed up. best of luck . Magnum Man

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Thanks Much, Magnum! wink

Molly is a typical setter and just tried to be my lap dog a second ago, as I was paying too much attention to the keyboard and not nearly enough to her belly. grin

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
That sounds very familiar. smile

"Be sure you're right. Then go ahead." Fess Parker as Davy Crockett
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You poor man...

frown

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by toltecgriz
That sounds very familiar. smile

Yes, yes it does. Happy belated birthday to the "kids!"

IC B3

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by donsm70
Scott,

Sounds like you have a winner. IMO keep working with the .22 until you know that she doesn't pay any attention to it, then try a shotgun, from a distance. Obviously, it may take a second person.

I wish MILES58 would have provided more information on the negative effects of using a wing on a fishing pole. I trained 3 setters with the wing method and never had any issues, what so ever.

Good luck. They are great dogs.

donsm70

Don't go from a 22 rifle to a shotgun. Go from a 22 rifle held just off the ground and fired and as she accepts it raise the barrel higher. From that go to a blank gun with crimps and. Crimps are a lot quieter than blanks. From there go to 22 blanks but fire them behind your back at first and then come around the front as she will allow. When you get to the shotgun, make sure she's off a ways first and use target loads.

Most are not born gun shy in fack most dog accept the gun with no problem. Dogs that are gun shy are generally made that way by the owner going to fast with the gun. A dog that come's shy from the factory is not really gun shy but rather timid to a fault. Not much help for those.

Side note about firing a 22 blank gun, don't fire it inside your pocket. Watched a guy do that once and it caught his jacket on fire. Funny as hell!

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

540 members (10gaugeman, 222Sako, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 10ring1, 1234, 160user, 64 invisible), 2,499 guests, and 1,187 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,577
Posts18,532,166
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.