F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
When I shoot black powder I like my flint.I've. never shot a cap gun

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Currently I'm down to only one, a T/C New Englander in .50.

I had a Kentucky style in .45, but gave it to my lil' bro and his bride as a wedding present as it was the first firearm she ever shot.

Probably won't get another .45 so I'll have a couple molds to get rid of.

I'd really like to find a lefty flintlock in .32 or .36, that is affordable, to knock squirrels out of the trees with. If I start deer hunting again, the .50 will serve just fine.

Mostly hunt squirrel and rabbit though, and it's become no trick at all to pop either with the 'scoped heavy-barrel .22LR Savage out to 125yds or so. Good meat getter but not a whole lot of challenge unless the wind is blowing.

Been thinking about just building one. Shouldn't be too hard as the locks and barrels are readily available.

Josh

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Flintlocks are all I hunt with now days. I built this .58cal. for all my big game hunting

[Linked Image]

and this .62cal. (20ga.) with Colerain Turkey Barrel for my spring gobbler hunting.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
Originally Posted by rhbrink
Wow! Didn't know this many traditional guys were still alive. I almost never look at this forum anymore may have to change that. I am wondering what the average age of this group is bet it isn't young?

63 going on 17.

Hittin' to close to home for me!

Jim
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I don't always hunt with a muzzleloader, but when I do it's a side-hammer. grin

Just bought another, a Grey Hawk for bad weather here in AK.

Last edited by mcknight77; 02/05/12.

Jim
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That is the way we have to go in this state for a designated muzzleloader hunt. No sabots, scopes, pelleted powder, primers, or sealed ignition systems.

1Minute
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Very nice pictures Hoyt and a great looking rifle also!

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Here's a few of mine
[Linked Image]
Hatfield .50 percussion
[Linked Image]
Jonathan Browning Mountain Rifle .50 (also have a matching .45 and a brass furniture .50)
[Linked Image]
Hatfield flintlock .50
[Linked Image]
Navy Arms .58 Buffalo Hunter

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I guess I could be considered a traditional guy. I guess.

I own two front-stuffers. A CVA .50 cal. Mountain Rifle flint gun and an entirely handmade (I do think the barrel is store-bought) .50 cal. side-slapper percussion gun.

The catch is, Ive not fired either one of them yet.

Bought the CVA after the postal service destroyed the toe of the stock (and refused to pay the insurance claim) when shipping it to my sister. I just had a custom gun builder fix it and got it back a week or so ago.

The mule-ear gun is something I just happened upon. One of my old buddies was a very respected custom gun builder in these parts. I was never able to afford one of his guns when he was building them. He passed in 1997 with me never having a gun built by him. Well......the guy who repaired the CVA stock put me on to one of my late buddies' rifles and I ended up with it last week as well.

So, although not even, technically, experienced enough to be "new" to muzzleloading....... I must be a traditional guy.

Wollen nicht krank dein feind. Planen es.
Q
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Q
Just placed an order with Larry Zornes of the Mold and Gun Shop in Ohio for a French fusil Ordinaire trade gun. 20 ga. 42" oct/round tapered barrel.

I have a Renegade Hunter in 54. and used to hunt with a CVA Mountain Rifle in .50 That was a tack driver and killed a few deer.
Inlines are no more than centerfires that load from the wrong end with plastic stocks. They remind me of why I don't watch many hunting shows. Pensylvania has it right. Flinters only for muzzleloader season. NY is too greedt to "see the light".
Guess I'm just an old curmudgeon!!

Qtip

Nice guns Captchee!!

"It's not a matter of legislating morality; it's a question of whose morality gets legislated"
IC B3

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
real nice rifle hoyt. love the engraving on the stock.

My idea of being organic is taking a dump in the woods.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by sharps4590
ET, I still love that red plaid and that fowler is uber-cool. I really like that polled 'hawk too.

Age? Well....I'll be 59 next month and I bought my first muzzleloader in 1975.

He he he . . . I'll be 60 this year and bought a CVA .50 cal Mountain Rifle kit in 1977. Still have it and it still kills deer. I'll have to take some pics of my traditional black powder toys.

Funny thing, when I was just a youngster (7-8 years old) I used to read everything I could get my hands on about Daniel Boone, Davy Crocket, Jim Bridger and Kit Carson. My folks got me a toy Kentucky Long rifle that shot cork balls from a green "sticky" cap. Remember those anyone? I would take that little rifle to the woods and explore the creeks and streams, always on the lookout for Indians.

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Swampman1
I prefer traditional muzzleloaders.

You're an active reenactment guy, right Swampy?

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I use them around.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Stand up and be counted, join a shooting sports organization
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Tundragriz, what rear sight is that? Hard to tell from the pics if it is side mounted or to the tang. I just bought a T/C hunting peep sight which mounts to the tang for my Deerstalker. I need to D&T one screw hole for it to work though.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It looks like the Lyman peep sight I have on my Great Plains Rifle. They are good sights for us older guys who have to wear bi-focals.

[Linked Image]

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Edmund Burke 1795

"Give me liberty or give me death"
Patrick Henry 1775
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Yeah its a lyman gph with the #57 sight, highly recommend it.

[Linked Image]

Stand up and be counted, join a shooting sports organization
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by Tundragriz
Yeah its a lyman gph with the #57 sight, highly recommend it.

[Linked Image]

Thanks guys. That's what I thought it was. Unfortunately, Lyman doesn't make one for their Lefty Flintlocks, so I had to go with the T/C tang mounted one for my Lyman Deerstalker. I'm thinking it will improve my accuracy a good bit over the forward mounted wing sight.

TC Hunting Sight for Hawkins and Renegade

[Linked Image]

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by Tundragriz
I use them around.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

You did what I never had the guts to do...........Install a recoil pad. smile

Money can't buy you happiness, but it can buy you a hunting license and that's pretty close.
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
been wanting to mount one of those sights on my mz.

My idea of being organic is taking a dump in the woods.

Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

282 members (14idaho, 16penny, 16gage, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 40 invisible), 2,049 guests, and 1,186 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,992
Posts18,481,107
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.