Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
F
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
F
My "hope" is that the deflector-less oil pan caused the rings to gum up. While adding the deflector did nothing to de-gum the rings, theoretically it will prevent the new ones from gumming-up. Thus, I'll have no further problems, right??? smile

I really don't want to have to trade it. I own the thing outright, and I'm sure the resale value is plummeting even faster than gas prices are rising. Plus, I don't know what I'd replace it with: I'll never own another GM, but I've heard more than a few stories to make me wary of Expeditions and Sequoias. I'm trying to walk the fine line between taking it in the shorts on a trade, versus taking it in the shorts with repairs.

FC

"Every day is a holiday, and every meal is a banquet."

- Mrs. FC
GB1

F
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
F
Picked it up this pm. I'm surprised at how quickly they turned it around.

They claim that the rings were gummed/seized on 2 pistons, & oil had burning from those 2 cylinders. They told me, though, there was no scoring on the cylinder walls. For the first 11 miles, it seems to run about like it ever did.

Now they want to check it in 1,000 miles. Crossing my fingers here.

FC

- Mrs. FC
F
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
F
1,650 miles in, & no oil missing thus far.

They confirmed this am they're going to honor the original 100K warranty, regardless of date: it was due to expire 7/30/12. That gives me another 23K from now to see how well this "fix" is going to hold.

I've got my doubts about how many times they can tear out & tear open this engine & get it all back together perfectly. At least I've got another year and a half or so (at my rate of accumulating miles) to see. Though everything else has been solid, I'm thinking I may trade it off.

FC

- Mrs. FC
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Folically_Challenged
1,650 miles in, & no oil missing thus far.

They confirmed this am they're going to honor the original 100K warranty, regardless of date: it was due to expire 7/30/12. That gives me another 23K from now to see how well this "fix" is going to hold.

I've got my doubts about how many times they can tear out & tear open this engine & get it all back together perfectly. At least I've got another year and a half or so (at my rate of accumulating miles) to see. Though everything else has been solid, I'm thinking I may trade it off.

FC

Trading it would be the wise thing..

F
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
F
After seeing the new thread in the campfire forum, I went back to see what I'd written on this one.

I'm now at 23,000 miles since the new pistons/rings, so I guess I drive a lot more than I was thinking. Anyway, there's been little, if any, oil consumption since the last repair. Maybe a 1/10th of a quart, or maybe it wasn't parked level when I checked. Seems to run as well as it ever did.

In the end, they gave me a 30K powertrain warranty from the mileage of the repair, which will take it past the 100K limit of the factory powertrain warranty. I've got about 10K left, & my inclination is to see how it does during that time. If it holds up well, I'll probably just keep it.

I've been putting-off some of the larger maintenance items (new plugs, trans fluid replacement, coolant flush, etc.) 'til I decide if I'm going to keep it. I hate trading vehicles, almost as much as I hate having vehicles that don't work.

FC

- Mrs. FC
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If its runing good I would trade it and move on to a new rig. Sounds like the dealer went above and beyond, give em a shot on a new wip.

Last edited by passport; 04/05/13.

It�s a magazine not a clip......

Advice is seldom welcome, and those who need it the most, like it the least.�
- Lord Chesterfield. 1750
F
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by passport
Sounds like the dealer went above and beyond, give em a shot on a new wip.

I would, but they only sell GM! laugh

If I were to really search my soul, I'd be way better off to replace it with a minivan. And that's why I try not to do much soul-searching. wink

FC

- Mrs. FC
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
My buddy refers to his wife's mini-van as the 'neuter" van. Says that's how he feels when he drives it. Can't argue with the practicality I guess. Even so, I like our Yukon. mtmuley

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

552 members (06hunter59, 10Glocks, 1234, 10gaugeman, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 52 invisible), 2,435 guests, and 1,240 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,585
Posts18,511,067
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.