Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
I have a stuck round in the chamber of my 257WM Vanguard. The bolt is open and I tried tapping an alluminum cleaning rod on it from the muzzle but just flared the end of the rod. I should have put a tip in it in hind sight. Any suggestions? I am think a piece of 3/16 steel rod and then tap on it from the muzzle.

Thanks,
Bob
Too many calibers and not enough time for the working man to hunt with them all.
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I would use a wood dowel ( biggest that will fit) before a steel rod.

Stuck round or stuck brass? How the heck did that happen?

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
is it a loaded round ? if its a fired case get a 24" or so piece of drill rod of the appropiate size and just drop it down the barrel a time or two should do it. if its a loaded roumd i'd head for a gunsmith.

Ed

B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Loaded round, made up some 7mmRM cases into 257WM, never again, allot after resizing dont want to chamber, some were virgin some 1x.

Thanks,
Bob
Too many calibers and not enough time for the working man to hunt with them all.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
What is stopping it from being fired? You are looking at pulling the barrel and inerting the case then extracting it...real fun on a vanguard. I would lose the idea of pounding it out before bad things happen. You may have some luck by filling the bore with kroil and letting it sit for a day or so and pushing a jag into the oil.....or freeze spray the case, or both.

Originally Posted by BrentD

I would not buy something that runs on any kind of primer given the possibility of primer shortages and even regulations. In fact, why not buy a flintlock? Really. Rocks aren't going away anytime soon.
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
What is stopping it from being fired?

Betting he can't close the bolt.

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Try soaking with Kroil for a day then try punching it out

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
The bolt is now open so I doubt if I can close it again over the extractor. I was thinking of a penitrating oil down the barrel and let it sit for a day then try and tap in out from the muzzle.

Last edited by BobnRoy257_b4_Bob257AI; 02/09/12.

Thanks,
Bob
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Sakoluvr
I would use a wood dowel ( biggest that will fit) before a steel rod.

Stuck round or stuck brass? How the heck did that happen?

I would do the wooden dowel. Put the dowel down the barrel, then bump the whole gun lightly on the bench or floor. Tapping with a light hammer isn't the right stroke. A heavy, slow velocity thud is what you want, not high velocity tapping.

I assume the extractor pulled thru the case rim?

Safariman (Mark) told me he had problems with .257 Wby brass formed from 7mm Rem Mag brass. He said the neck was too thick and to use .264 Win Mag brass, instead.

Give us more details concerning what you have.

DF

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by bea175
Try soaking with Kroil for a day then try punching it out

+1 for the Kroil.

Steve

IC B3

B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
As stated 7mmRM brass resized to 257WM OS diam at the neck was okay, but the bullets may have expanded it out of specks. When I tried to chamber 3 2 were okay, the third stuck.
Dirtfarmer, I know what you mean about a slow push but confused on how to do it by your explenation. Sierra 90gr HPBT is what is loaded in it.

Thanks,
Bob
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Try throwing it in the freezer over night and then try tapping it out with the wooden dowl. No luck ? I would think all of this tapping on the bullet should have pushed the bullet back into the case far enuf to spray spray som e lube into the barrel and killing the powder and primer and you should be able to get a little more serious about the tapping thing. +1 on the croil !!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've seen a couple fired into the barrel when no powder was loaded in the brass. (don't ask- not me)They tap out easily with a bronze rod that I keep for this purpose. I wouldn't use a steel rod.

It is better to be judged by 12 than to be carried by 6.
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
DO NOT USE A WOODEN DOWL. It will split on the bullet and most likley expand and any oil will cause it to swell tighter a snug fitting steel rod is the only way to go . I worked in a gun shop for a couple years and several guns came in with broken wooden dowls in them from people trying just that. take it to a gunsmith before you jam the hell out of it.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
More than one has been killed pounding a loaded round out.
If you insist use a clean drill rod that fits and push
don't pound. best of all have a gunsmith do it.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by BobnRoy257_b4_Bob257AI
I have a stuck round in the chamber of my 257WM Vanguard. The bolt is open and I tried tapping an alluminum cleaning rod on it from the muzzle but just flared the end of the rod. I should have put a tip in it in hind sight. Any suggestions? I am think a piece of 3/16 steel rod and then tap on it from the muzzle.

Loaded round? I wouldn't do that.. All that'll happen is you'll push the bullet deeper into the case and compress the powder.. You have a very dangerous situation there....

BEST thing to do is take it to a smith who can remove the barrel and lever the case out.. Failing that, there are other things the smith can do but at least they'll be safer than what you're contemplating..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Provided you haven't already pushed the bullet way back into the case, AND if it contains a mild charge (thinking of the tight neck scenario here), why not remove the extractor from the bolt, replace the bolt in the gun and fire it? Then tap the empty case out with any old rod, replace extractor, and tear down the remaining cartridges.

Failing that, seek professional help.

Last edited by gnoahhh; 02/10/12.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
55,000 pounds/square inch is more pressure than I would mess with in any of the tapping or firing solutions. There is nothing that will save you if during those operations, the case discharged. There isn't a gun in the world worth chancing that on, take it to a professional and let him do it...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
gnoahhh has made a great suggestion !

Ed

B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Good advise guys, off the a smith it goes. I dont want to be posting here later, if I can, about the disaster and "what not to do".

Thanks,
Bob
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

199 members (37L1, 257 mag, 35, 240NMC, 10Glocks, 21 invisible), 1,614 guests, and 880 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,504
Posts18,490,610
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.