Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
LGB,
does the barrel have to be removed to use that tool?
Is the tool?
http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=972/Product/STUCK-CASE-PULLER

Last edited by BobnRoy257_b4_Bob257AI; 02/13/12.

Thanks,
Bob
Too many calibers and not enough time for the working man to hunt with them all.
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If I were going to be tapping on a rod placed in the muzzle, I would not want to be either in front of the barrel, or behind it.

If the rod held the bullet in place, that case could fly out of the chamber like a missle. At least remove the bolt so the case will have someplace to go. And make sure that no one is standing behind the breech. Make a secure backstock for the case to hit, if it does go off.

There is another incident where a benchrester was trying to remove a stuck cartridge with a cleaning rod. The one happened at a bench rest match. The shooter did remove the bolt from the rifle, and his wife happened to be standing behind the rifle.

When he tapped on the cleaning rod, the cartridge fired, the case went out of the chamber, striking his wife and killing her.

This was back in the 70s, I think, and IIRC, it was written up in Rifle magazine.

L
LGB Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
L
Here is the other view of the tool in use. No need to pull the barrel when you can get to the case from the rear.

[Linked Image]

The tool must be able to pop over the rim and spring back. Next tighten the bolt and wedge against the reciever to pull the case. It has never failed. I used old 8mm Mauser barrels to make my tools as they are close to spring steel. I make a short tool to pull cases stuck in Rem. 740's and 760 without pulling the barrel. These small tools are about 2 inches long and are split into. I place one part into the action and rotate to the far side of the action. Place the second half around the case and place the bolt to hold the parts together. Works so simple!!! I am going to make one this afternoon for 223, 204 Ruger, and 17 Rem. This will be for the small mini Mauser actions just in case I get a shell stuck in the field.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Cool! Kinda surprised that you'd see enough stuck live rounds to justify making the tool.

If I were going to be tapping on a rod placed in the muzzle, I would be in the next room.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Well I got my Brownells stuck case remover yesterday and looks like it will do the trick, a very nice setup. I will not have a safe place to do it until next Wednesday.

Thanks,
Bob
Too many calibers and not enough time for the working man to hunt with them all.
IC B2

L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
Originally Posted by high_country_
I would try the kroil first. if you can get a few inches above the bullet filled with the oil and push a tight jag at it, it will try to hydraulically force oil around the case. do not hammer on the bullet, it is possible to set it off. the oil trick is nearly free and safe. just be sure there is something to catch the oil once it clears the chamber.

it will try to hydraulically force oil around the case.
Do you think that the hydraulic force will not pust the bullet back in the case first

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by LASSIE
Originally Posted by high_country_
I would try the kroil first. if you can get a few inches above the bullet filled with the oil and push a tight jag at it, it will try to hydraulically force oil around the case. do not hammer on the bullet, it is possible to set it off. the oil trick is nearly free and safe. just be sure there is something to catch the oil once it clears the chamber.

it will try to hydraulically force oil around the case.
Do you think that the hydraulic force will not pust the bullet back in the case first

read exactly what you posted. it WILL push oil around the case. the volume around the case is very minute, and with hydraulic pressure, it is pushing in all directions....so the case stands the best chance to move. if the bullet is engaged in the lands (not much chance on a free bored 257 roy that can't even close the bolt, but if it were, it will not push the bullet back beyond the point that oil leaks pat the bullet. the oil then migrates past the bullet to the neck, which will either be the restriction and move, or leak past to the body.....right up to the point it frees. if a guy was filling the bore and smacking it with a 2# hammer, I would worry, if he is forcing some kroil around the case, I would not worry a bit. not many gun guys have the specialized tooling to make a case extractor so there are some steps that can be effective up to that point, IMO this is one of the easiest to try.

Originally Posted by BrentD

I would not buy something that runs on any kind of primer given the possibility of primer shortages and even regulations. In fact, why not buy a flintlock? Really. Rocks aren't going away anytime soon.
B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Well back to this soap opera of mine!!!. I hate help me threads and then the starter never gets back to let you know if the advice worked. I had a death of the person I care give for, the week Saturday past, so I have been real busy with funeral and all.
I got a Brownels stuck case tool, Nice tool, but will not fit through the bolt hole in the rear of the reciever to get to the case. About a 1/64-1/32 to big in diam. So this week I will try the oil, 1 time, if that does not work off to a smith.

Thanks,
Bob
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Ok It's been 5 days sience your last post. what happened???

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
BobnRoy,

Do not fire that stuck round! There are many things that can cause a stuck round and some of them can cause extremely high pressure and cause the gun to blow if the round is fired. I say take it to a 'smith. If you are successful getting the thing out without destroying the barrel, you might consider shooting only factory rounds. I'm sorry if that offends you but you don't always get a second chance, and I'm sure the people that love you would rather have you around.

Our God reigns.
Harrumph!!!
I often use quick reply. My posts are not directed toward any specific person unless I mention them by name.
IC B3

B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Good advice big red, It was loaded with once fired 7mmRM case resized to 257WM, never again, I bought some new Hordany 257WM brass, to reload. BUT still have the stuck one, I found a great smith near me, and since I just got a NIB 799 Rem 22 Hornet and needs a touch of trigger and bolt smoothing, I turned the stuck round rifle over to him. He agrees, cant fire it to get it out. He is the metal/barrel man, has another guy at his shop for the wood work. I have complete confidence in him, I got his name from here when I posted looking for a good smith in my area.

Thanks,
Bob
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Let us know what method he used to successfully remove that case.. Sounds like you had a really tough one in there..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Redneck I will, I was surprised he did not have a case remover already, Sent mine back to Brownells earlier that day. Just had to turn it down on a lathe to make it fit through the back of the reciever.

Thanks,
Bob
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I made some .270 Weatherby from basic brass. I had to anneal the brass twice in the forming and loading process. First load was a reduced load.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

566 members (1936M71, 160user, 1234, 06hunter59, 1Longbow, 007FJ, 62 invisible), 2,399 guests, and 1,276 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,532
Posts18,491,244
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.