-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Colt Woodsman Sport circa 47/48. Short barrel version. Sits in an El Paso floral carved rig or the original box when in the safe. Love that little gun. It was the first gun I ever shot. Thought it was the loudest boom in the world!

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Probably my S&W Model 45, a "Model 10", fixed sights and all, in .22 LR.

Life is hard. It's even harder when you're stupid. --John Wayne
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Ruger MKII stainless target with bull barrel.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Some really nice .22s out there...

I have been thinking about this question since posted. It doesn't say "favorite" .22 handgun or favorite .22 Target gun or Hunting gun it says "ALL-AROUND" gun and that is where I run into the roadblock to answering.

If one only does one thing with their .22 handgun such as shoot Bullseye then it is a simple matter of choosing ones favorite Bullseye gun. But with each additional discipline one uses a .22 handgun for, such as hunting, teaching, trapping, metallic silhouette competition, concealed carry/self-defense, plinking, hiking/backpacking...the compromises get bigger and bigger.

So this is where I get stuck for an answer as I do all of the above with a .22 handgun from time to time.

Probably the closest I can come is a 4" S&W Model 48 .22 Magnum with the extra Rimfire cylinder. It is accurate enough for Bullseye although somewhat handicapped for Rapid Fire. I can shoot it just about as well long range as a 6" for plinking and MS shooting. With small grips it isn't too heavy or muzzle heavy for teaching new shooters and although I prefer stainless for a hunting/hiking/backpacking like the above Model 63 it would just take a little more care to keep clean.

[Linked Image]

With new grips...

[Linked Image]

The second runner up would be a 1911 with interchangeable top ends. A Marvel Longsilde for competition and standard Conversion Unit or for that matter an ACE for everything else...

ACE

[Linked Image]

Sorry to over-annualized this...Bob

If you can not deal with reality, reality will deal with you....
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
I foolishly sold my 4" model 18, Smith and Wesson. The one I have had the longest is a High Standard Double Nine. My grandfather gave it to me when I was a kid. I have no earthly clue how many rounds have gone through it, or how many squirrels and rabbits I have bumped off with it. I have it in semi retirement these days, mostly shooting a 4" bull barreled Ruger MkII, 22/45.

I bought a MkIII with a 5.5" Bull barrel for Mrs. Tide, the first Christmas we were together, and Tide Jr. got a Ruger Bearcat for Christmas in about 2006 or 2007. He'd have been around 9 or 10, then I guess.

We love shooting them all.

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Probably a toss up between a S&W 18 4" with the three T's and a High Sandard Citation Supermatic 6".

`Bring Enough Gun`
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I always liked my SS Ruger single six, for general outdoor knockin' around.

maddog

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by AKNHNTR
What is your favorite all-around rimfire handgun AND why??

Lookin' back, my first Single Six convertible. It had the short barrel, blued finish. The flexibility of switching to .22 magnum when I needed more "snot" was handy. That gun shot well with both long rifle and magnums. I can't say that for any of the dozen or so I've owned since.

If someone were asking for a recommendation on what to buy today, I'd tell them just what I told myself a year or so ago: Ruger Mk III, 5-1/2" barrel. The trigger is absolute CRAP, so plan to install a Volquartsen trigger. If you don't like 3-dimensional spring loaded jigsaw puzzles, save yourself some frustration and take it to a gunsmith for installation. With the more complex Mk III mechanism, which has a mag disconnect the Mk II lacked, I found it a lot more challenging to install the kit than I had on older mk IIs.

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Ruger single six, stainless 6.5 inch. Shoots everything from short to lr to 22 mag. This is my second one and is actually accurate with both cylinders. The first one I had was picky with the mag cylinder and would only shoot the accu tip with good results.

"You've got to be slow in a hurry." Wyatt Earp
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

349 members (160user, 1lesfox, 01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 1badf350, 35 invisible), 1,964 guests, and 941 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,659
Posts18,512,792
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.