Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by Calvin
On that particular deer, it smashed through a shoulder and exited through rib. It wrecked tissue, but didn't have the NBT, SGK, or SST explosiveness I've seen. I'd put it somewhere between a NBT and a TSX.

Interesting. I'm going to have to run some through a couple of hogs and see how they work. I like the VLD's, but I often find myself shooting at pigs running away after the first one rolls. The scenar might just be the ticket.

GB1

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Not too much. As I said, not in the same league as the NBT or SST. I was surprised how well the bullet behaved on all the deer it plowed into.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by chicoredneck
On that particular deer, it smashed through a shoulder and exited through rib. It wrecked tissue, but didn't have the NBT, SGK, or SST explosiveness I've seen. I'd put it somewhere between a NBT and a TSX.

Interesting. I'm going to have to run some through a couple of hogs and see how they work. I like the VLD's, but I often find myself shooting at pigs running away after the first one rolls. The scenar might just be the ticket.

I'd be curious how they hold up on hogs. Do me a favor and PM me if you think about it once you've run a few through a hog.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by chicoredneck

I'd be curious how they hold up on hogs. Do me a favor and PM me if you think about it once you've run a few through a hog.

I can do that. I'll be chasing some here at the end of the month. If I can get my hands on some scenars and a load worked up with them before then I'll let you know how it goes.

Last edited by chicoredneck; 02/11/12.
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Thanks!

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Calvin

My Rem 700 has a 9 1/8 twist how do you think the 105 scenar would fly in that?

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
It should.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Thanks Calvin gonna have to give them a try

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Dogger
Having spent 20 years in the Army you would think I would know how to use a bloody military sling, but in my defense I was a tanker and not infantry. smile Thanks GuyM for the recommendation...

Curious though, wouldn't slinging up and pulling it in tight disturb my zero, what with the torque it puts on my CDL stock?

Glass bed and free float and you will have no issues.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by CCCC
Lots of fine deer cartridges in the .25 to .28 range - the best shoot flat (ballistic efficiency) and are tidy (powder efficiency). Seem to keep finding that the .25:06 is at its overall best with bullet near 120 grs. Lighter = faster, but normally not better performance on game.

The fellows who like the old .243 usually will horn in on these threads to try to convince about their favorite, but it is getting past its peak at 100 grains, even with the better bullets. Something in physics tells the story about 120 grains vs, 100 at generally same velocity. Story continues upward.

For deer and similar, 25:06 has been my first choice for 30 years.

Your "grasp" of Physics rates an HBO Comedy Special. Weight means less than dick,especially when IMAGINING that it does in a "whopping" diameter difference of .014" and feigning 20grs of mass as an "advantage".

In fairness however,what did/do matter is projectile integrity,it's aero form and it's launch speed. Those key things,control what happens downrange upon victims. Interestingly enough the "old and lowly" 243Win even beyond it's "peak",brings more downrange "Ooomph" to the table than the 25-06. That despite it being a .445"-ish shorter hull,being of less projectile diameter and of less weight. Physics not so "surprisingly" crushes alotta Myths,Wives Tales and Stoner notions. Due those simplistic constants...the 243Win can/will recoil less,fly flatter,slip the wind better,yield higher impact velocity,reduce action/rifle length/weight and for those enthralled with yet another moot designator arrive with more "energy". As an aside,due the shorter/squatter powder column,she'll routinely realize more svelte ES/SD values as well,which do not hurt connect percentages.

Feel free to cite the .257" projectile(s) that most horn you up for killing and I'll be happy to discuss 'em at length and in the firsthand. Cheer up,noone wants to see a .257" A-Max or Scenar,more than I.

As things stand Today,the Scenar is easily the most robust VLD in .243" for threading Cheerios.

Hint.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Boxer: Your "grasp" of Physics rates an HBO Comedy Special. Weight means less than dick,especially when IMAGINING that it does in a "whopping" diameter difference of .014" and feigning 20grs of mass as an "advantage".

In fairness however,what did/do matter is projectile integrity,it's aero form and it's launch speed. Those key things,control what happens downrange upon victims. Interestingly enough the "old and lowly" 243Win even beyond it's "peak",brings more downrange "Ooomph" to the table than the 25-06. That despite it being a .445"-ish shorter hull,being of less projectile diameter and of less weight. Physics not so "surprisingly" crushes alotta Myths,Wives Tales and Stoner notions. Due those simplistic constants...the 243Win can/will recoil less,fly flatter,slip the wind better,yield higher impact velocity,reduce action/rifle length/weight and for those enthralled with yet another moot designator arrive with more "energy". As an aside,due the shorter/squatter powder column,she'll routinely realize more svelte ES/SD values as well,which do not hurt connect percentages.

Feel free to cite the .257" projectile(s) that most horn you up for killing and I'll be happy to discuss 'em at length and in the firsthand. Cheer up,noone wants to see a .257" A-Max or Scenar,more than I.

As things stand Today,the Scenar is easily the most robust VLD in .243" for threading Cheerios.

Hint.

Aside from the fact that you know NOTHING about my grasp of physics, it seems that you don't know how to reply without using ad hominem attacks in trying to belittle another. Beyond that, your oddball text conveys mostly nonsense apparently designed to bamboozle others into thinking you have some superior knowledge. If you do, you should learn how to use it. Must be rough and irritating being married to a .243.

Last edited by CCCC; 02/11/12.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Boxer
Lots of fine deer cartridges in the .25 to .28 range - the best shoot flat (ballistic efficiency) and are tidy (powder efficiency). Seem to keep finding that the .25:06 is at its overall best with bullet near 120 grs. Lighter = faster, but normally not better performance on game.

The fellows who like the old .243 usually will horn in on these threads to try to convince about their favorite, but it is getting past its peak at 100 grains, even with the better bullets. Something in physics tells the story about 120 grains vs, 100 at generally same velocity. Story continues upward.

For deer and similar, 25:06 has been my first choice for 30 years.

Your "grasp" of Physics rates an HBO Comedy Special. Weight means less than dick,especially when IMAGINING that it does in a "whopping" diameter difference of .014" and feigning 20grs of mass as an "advantage".

Hint.

[Linked Image] Watch out folks here comes SlickeyStickey the know all of the gun and shooting world has arrived from bannishment again.
Welcome back BigStick, Knew ya couldnt be nice for more than 1 post. Freakin laffin at a maroon [Linked Image]

Swifty

Swifty
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Boxer: Your "grasp" of Physics rates an HBO Comedy Special. Weight means less than dick,especially when IMAGINING that it does in a "whopping" diameter difference of .014" and feigning 20grs of mass as an "advantage".

Hint.

Aside from the fact that you know NOTHING about my grasp of physics, it seems that you don't know how to reply without using ad hominem attacks in trying to belittle another. Beyond that, your oddball text conveys mostly nonsense apparently designed to bamboozle others into thinking you have some superior knowledge. If you do, you should learn how to use it. Must be rough and irritating being married to a .243.

Dumbphuck,I find it more than a whole bunch entertaining,that you couldn't cite a single [bleep] boolit to bolster your "knowledge","experience" or "findings"...yet you are more than "comfy" to burn bandwidth extolling your total lack of Physics comprehension and Peabraintitude. Sugar,none of them things needed reiteration and were/are WELL beyond obvious upon your first feigned utterance of "insight".

Ignorance IS bliss and you are assuredly blisseder than most.

Wow!

Swifty,

That you couldn't pour pizz outta a [bleep] boot,is hardly "secreted".

Exceedingly good call as per always,to refrain Ballistics.

Laffin'!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
There is an 84L Montana 25-06 down my way. Might just buy it. Always wanted a 25.....

Taking my rifle for a walk
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Boxer: Life teaches us that only the most ignorant, weak, defensive and shameless resort to such filthy language and derogation. To the politely discriminate, often there is a big difference between what one CAN state and what one CHOOSES to state , just as there is a big difference between having a worthwhile discussion and draining a sewer. Why would one cast even a tiny pearl before the vulgar,vapid and ill-intentioned? You now get zero attention.

Last edited by CCCC; 02/12/12.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Melvin24 - that sounds like a fine rifle. If you buy it, let me know. I will send you some excellent bullets to try.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I'd simply forgo the 25-06 a far as punching the barrel. Go a smidge larger dia. I'd still order the brass and then run it though the die w/expander mandrel. Select a scenar and stuff the case full of 7828 and load me a 6.5-06 cartridge.

With B.C.'s of .6+ and launch speeds of 3000+ what's not to like?

KDK Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I love my .25-06, but I have a .270 that's going to go this route... just have to get in touch with the gunsmith for the .264 tube.

Originally Posted by ingwe
This is a shooting forum, there is no place here for logic.
Y
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Y
I have had one for too many years. I do not like run of the mill cup and core bullets. I have never failed to recover a deer shot with one, I have had several instances of total jacket/core separation. Maybe 20 years ago I started with the Barnes X bullet. 100 grain bullet over 4831. Somewhat less than a max load for my M70. 3000 fps at the muzzle. Extremely accurate and "numbs them"

I seldom get to carry the rifle anymore. My wife claimed it so I got her a M7 CDL in the 7-08. Now my youngest son has claimed it. It is never in the safe come deer season.

No experience hog hunting with it. Just big bodied Northern Whitetails. It does not get out of the safe to go bear hunting.

Last edited by yoop; 02/12/12.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I have one 6.5-06 now and another one will be here at the end of the month.
The smith I use has a 3-4 week turn around time if you supply the parts.
He also has the ability to get barrels pretty fast from Mike Rock.

Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

541 members (12344mag, 1234, 10Glocks, 16penny, 10gaugeman, 153, 70 invisible), 2,326 guests, and 1,262 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,536
Posts18,472,786
Members73,939
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.