Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by moosemike
Zumbo didn't sell me out. He simply opined that he didn't feel assault rifles belonged in the hunting field. I agree with him

So do I......

"If what I say offends you, you should hear what I don't say."
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Perhaps you guys should first understand that a true "assault rifle" is capable of select fire....ie full auto as well as semi auto. So essentially, "assault rifles" are most likely illegal to hunt with in every state of the union.I think what Dumbo was talking about were so called "black rifles" or semi only versions of real assault rifles.

While I'm just not into the real McCoy or the wannabe versions, if a guy wants to hunt with an AR and it's legal, have at it. Not a Zumbo fan either, but if you're going to bitch, at least know what you're bitching about.

The antis misuse the term "assault rifle" enough, lets not fan the flames.

Jeff

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
One thing that is in Zumbo's favor is that he lives in Wyoming where hunting big game with .22 caliber is not legal.

One of his daughters used to work for me and in visiting with him I have nothing but good to say for the man.

The Mayans had it right. If you�re going to predict the future, it�s best to aim far beyond your life expectancy, lest you wind up red-faced in a bunker overstocked with Spam and ammo.

CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
There is an image assoc with AR style rifles. Right or wrong, it is there. The image has improved, but cannot understand the need for that image in hunting.

It fits best with predator hunting, as we have waged a perceived war on predators forever. Something about competing for prey species being deeply ingrained in our psyche.

Between whackem and stackem or cookbook Zumbo. I know which person I would rather share a hunting camp with.

Arcus Venator
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Swampman1
Zumbo didn't sell me out. He simply opined that he didn't feel assault rifles belonged in the hunting field. I agree with him

So do I......

Neither surprising nor significant... crazy

DF

IC B2

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Some years back my wife signed up to attend the SCI big game hunting for women program in Granite, Wyoming. A couple of weeks before the week-long event she was diagnosed with a serious illness, but she really wanted to go, so she went. Zumbo was one of the instructors (along with Wayne Van Zwoll) and he realized that she was not well and looked after her for the entire week. She had a great time and still talks about it. For that, I will be eternally grateful to Mr. Zumbo

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
No he equaled the nation service rifle with the very terrorist enemy we have been forced into waging war on. I could care less about him, he is nothing but a legend in his own mind. There is nothing wrong with the AR it has its uses in the field just like any other fire arm. Now that you can get them chambered is some pretty decent cartridges, they make good rain rifles. And since the new generation, most of whom first exposure to rifles was either with the Army or Marines, these young men and women who might take up the sport, might choose an AR because its what they know. I don't have a problem with that, I never did. Heck I think a Russian Dragunov SDV would make a heck of a rain rifle by the way. I learned to shoot with a 1891/31 Mosin Nagent 7. 62 x 54R. Killed my first head of big game with that rifle, came out of the armory in 1938 my guess it has a heck of a story to tell. I still have it.

"Any idiot can face a crisis,it's the day-to-day living that wears you out."

Anton Chekhov

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by akjeff

The antis misuse the term "assault rifle" enough, lets not fan the flames.

Jeff

amen

Originally Posted by Archerhunter

Quit giving in inch by inch then looking back to lament the mile behind ya and wonder how to preserve those few feet left in front of ya. They'll never stop until they're stopped. That's a fact.
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by gmsemel
...I learned to shoot with a 1891/31 Mosin Nagent 7. 62 x 54R. Killed my first head of big game with that rifle...

Which begs the question, what did you shoot the rest of it with? crazy

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I never saw what Jim Zumbo wrote that got everyone in a twist, but I am inclined to give him slack based on what I've seen here. Of course, sitting in Japan, I'm out of the loop.

I have no problem with black rifles, which I understand to be semi-auto versions of those called assault rifles. I do question their suitability for most hunting, but my concern is not the configuration, magazine capacity or fact that they are semi-auto, but rather the cartridges commonly offered. If you are hunting a bobcat or coyote, fine. Larger game, not so fine.

I wonder from what I have seen here if Zumbo would challenge other military rifles in larger calibers. Looks at the venerable 7x57 Mauser, the .303 Enfield, the M-14 or Garand. I suspect he'd not even raise a peep about any of those, in which case I wonder what the fuss is about.

Norman Solberg
International lawyer, lately for 25 years in Japan, now working on trusts in the US, the 3rd greatest tax haven. NRA Life Member for over 50 years, NRA Endowment (2014), Patron (2016).
IC B3

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
GI Joe wannabes running around with their "Tactical" rifles is a PR nightmare for sportsmen. Trying to make an AR a "Hunting Rifle" is a hard sell on the average person. Its a no sell on me and I've been hunting my entire life. The manufacturers are pushing these things hard for the almighty dollar at the expense of our image. The assault rifle/SHTF wackos have ruined gun shows. Zumbo told the truth.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Assault rifles,IMO are like any other firearm,they belong in the hands of responsible citizens.I don't own one nor do i intend to. But if someone chooes to hunt with one i personally don't see a issue with it.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by SU35
Dumbo threw us under the bus, remember?

I have not forgotten and won't. It's not a matter of forgiving and forgetting.
It's a matter of facing the consequences of his actions. He was a big name in the industry selling us out. He's not sorry for what he said, he's sorry for getting spanked.

I'll boycott any thing he promotes.

Zumbo didn't sell me out. He simply opined that he didn't feel assault rifles belonged in the hunting field. I agree with him but then I also live in a state that does not allow semi auto's of any kind for hunting. Not every gun belongs in the woods or fields. An MG42 or a Browning 1919 would certainly have no place in hunting.

That's the point. YOU are making a judgment on what should or shouldn't be carried in the field. That's what Zumbo did.

Congrats!

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Look, I'm a walnut and blued-steel kind of guy. I don't own an AR-style rifle. However, I would be the last guy in the world to support the state wildlife CO telling me what style of rifle I could take to the field, based on esthetics.

What Zumbo forgot is that the anti-gun crowd tries to use every excuse out there to get firearms outlawed. Zumbo fed that urge in a big way with that weblog post. Granted, he was probably drunk when he did it. That's an explanation-- not an excuse.

I was vehement in my opposition to Zumbo's replacement. I was a 40-something year reader of Outdoor Life, and I cancelled my subscription. My conviction has not waivered in the intervening 5 years, despite his rehabillitation. Why? Because Zumbo words were trancendental. They epitomize the slippery slope that kind of thinking represent.

I think it also put a lot of people on notice. I'm sure Jim Zumbo was not alone in his thoughts. A lot of folks understood what he meant and sympathized with it. Those people can now look back on our reaction to the Zumbo weblog entry and know exactly what we think of it.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Mountaineer70
GI Joe wannabes running around with their "Tactical" rifles is a PR nightmare for sportsmen. Trying to make an AR a "Hunting Rifle" is a hard sell on the average person. Its a no sell on me and I've been hunting my entire life. The manufacturers are pushing these things hard for the almighty dollar at the expense of our image. The assault rifle/SHTF wackos have ruined gun shows. Zumbo told the truth.

So what do you hunt with exactly...???? A model 70 maybe from your handle?

IF so, I"m sad to inform you, you also hunt with the assault rifle of the day, or even a possibly more dangerous one... a sniper rifle...

Some folks will never learn unfortunately... Zumbo included. It STILL ain't the arrow folks, its the Indian... you are responsible for yourself.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Except for looks can someone tell me the difference between an AR style rifle and a Browning BAR or Remington 750. While I don't own one I always thought a 16" barreled AR in 308 with a low power scope would be just the ticket for hunting whitetail in the thick stuff. Not for firepower reasons but for being able to stay on target without having to move ones hands to work a bolt, lever or pump should you miss or wound. Now with the 30 RAR available I would go that way.

The great thing about the the AR platform is its modularity (is that a word). Buy an upper to match what you're shooting and keep one lower. Switch from .223 to 30 RAR as an example without having to buy a whole new gun. Somthing the Browning and Remington can't do.

E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Since his screwup, Zumbo has hosted many shows showing the merits of the rifles and many with hunts given to wounded vets.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Mountaineer70

+1

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by GregW
Originally Posted by SU35
Dumbo threw us under the bus, remember?

I have not forgotten and won't. It's not a matter of forgiving and forgetting.
It's a matter of facing the consequences of his actions. He was a big name in the industry selling us out. He's not sorry for what he said, he's sorry for getting spanked.

I'll boycott any thing he promotes.

Zumbo didn't sell me out. He simply opined that he didn't feel assault rifles belonged in the hunting field. I agree with him but then I also live in a state that does not allow semi auto's of any kind for hunting. Not every gun belongs in the woods or fields. An MG42 or a Browning 1919 would certainly have no place in hunting.

That's the point. YOU are making a judgment on what should or shouldn't be carried in the field. That's what Zumbo did.

Congrats!

Of course I was making a judgment. That was my intent.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by shaman
Look, I'm a walnut and blued-steel kind of guy. I don't own an AR-style rifle. However, I would be the last guy in the world to support the state wildlife CO telling me what style of rifle I could take to the field, based on esthetics.

What Zumbo forgot is that the anti-gun crowd tries to use every excuse out there to get firearms outlawed. Zumbo fed that urge in a big way with that weblog post. Granted, he was probably drunk when he did it. That's an explanation-- not an excuse.

I was vehement in my opposition to Zumbo's replacement. I was a 40-something year reader of Outdoor Life, and I cancelled my subscription. My conviction has not waivered in the intervening 5 years, despite his rehabillitation. Why? Because Zumbo words were trancendental. They epitomize the slippery slope that kind of thinking represent.

I think it also put a lot of people on notice. I'm sure Jim Zumbo was not alone in his thoughts. A lot of folks understood what he meant and sympathized with it. Those people can now look back on our reaction to the Zumbo weblog entry and know exactly what we think of it.

I'm glad my state keeps black rifles and SK's and AK's out of the woods!

Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

334 members (17CalFan, 1badf350, 1lesfox, 160user, 10ring1, 12344mag, 32 invisible), 2,039 guests, and 1,097 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,451
Posts18,528,898
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.