Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
S
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
Just looking for input, I know the brass is Hornady so leaning that way, but for the most part I am an RCBS man. Was wondering about their "floating" bullet seating die they advertise. I it any better than a standard one??

Thanks and be safe all Spence

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have quite a few sets of both, when I can can get them I will take the floating seating die of the Horny all day long.

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
JMO, I love Hornady bullets, but I stay away from their dies and brass when possible--there are better options; Redding, RCBS, Bonanza to name a few.

Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Suck bullets simply suck.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'm new to reloading this cartridge... only 30 rounds loaded to this point in time, but I've heard that the Hornady dies might have a problem when crimping. (shoulders collapsing due to the 30 degree angle and "soft" Hornady brass)
Personally from my limited experience I bought the Hornady dies, and just make sure to chamfer the inside of the necks well, and seat my bullets slow enough to feel if there are any problems. I will either buy a Lee custom factory crimp die and crimp in a seperate operation, as I feel this is the best way to crimp, or wait a while longer to see if Lee will produce the dies for the 375 en mass. Some guys are claiming the RCBS dies are not collapsing their shoulders, while Hornady's did...For what its worth...
johnny

No Farmers---No Food
B
B
I was in the same boat as you are. I went with the RCBS dies, partly due that they were a couple bucks cheaper and that the Hornady dies were out of stock.
I'm glad I did, this RCBS set is of very high quality and turns out surprisingly (to me, my first RCBS dies!) very concentric ammo. I have other Hornady dies but was never fully satisfied with them.
The 375 Ruger is not yet well supported by the reloading companies, I am too waiting for Lee to offer Collet and FC dies mainstream.
Bretton

Winston Churchill: "We shall never surrender"
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Very pleased with my RCBS dies, that's what I would vote for.

Gerry.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by safariman
I have quite a few sets of both, when I can can get them I will take the floating seating die of the Horny all day long.
Perhaps Hornady's most recent attempts are better, but I've owned several sets (44 mag, 30/06, 25/06, 300 Win Mag, ???) and to a one they were garbage; I quite literally threw them all away. Obviously YMMV.

Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Suck bullets simply suck.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I started with the Hornady, because nothing else was available at that time. It didn't work out that well; as quick as I got the RCBS everything went way better.

I have several Hornadys, but only use them, and somewhat reluctantly, when no one else is making the gear I need.

Dennis

"The more you run over a dead cat, the flatter it gets."

"If you're asking me something technical, you may be looking for My Other Brother Darrell."

"It ain't foot-pounds that kills stuff -- it's broken body parts."
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Well I'm a fan of Lee dies, because I've never had an issue with any of their dies, while having at least one issue with every other brand....that said, While I've have had issues with Hornady in the past...I think they have resolved their issues....My last 2 purchases were Hornady by default; 6.5 Creedmoor had no other dies at the time, and 375 dies were bought at a Cabelas where they didn't have the RCBS dies in stock. Both of these rifles are shooting great groups, so I'm happy with them as of now.
johnny

No Farmers---No Food
S
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
I like the Lee collet set myself, but at 60 a little pricey, nay get a factory crimp die though for $25. Thanks for the input all. Spence

IC B3

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Well, I've had both. I liked the RCBS much better, as dies go. Having said that, I have more sets of Lee dies, than anything else.

maddog

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I bought the Hornady's only b/c Cabelas was offering a free hat in addition to the free bullets that Hornady was offering...and the fact that they were the only brand in 375 Ruger when I made the impulse buy. wink Haven't had any trouble with them though.

...on earth as it is in Texas.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

If guns kill people.....mine must be defective.
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I've tryed the hornady dies and had nothing but problems, from them buckling cases, to not holding the spindle tight enough to not move. I went RCBS and had no issues

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by gohip
. . . to not holding the spindle tight enough to not move.

And therein lies the crux of why not the get the Hornady New Dimension Dies. Redding or RCBS. Forster is not too bad either.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

597 members (160user, 1badf350, 1936M71, 1lessdog, 1minute, 65 invisible), 2,542 guests, and 1,300 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,190
Posts18,503,409
Members73,993
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.