-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
looks to me that the front roof is slightly sagged -rotton rafters ??

i've done renos in older homes ,its a crap shoot,most people loose at craps,,,unless you can do it all yourself ,and live in the mess for 2-3 years ,,,trouble with renos once you start WHERE DO YOU END????????????????????????????????

norm

There is not enough darkness in all the world to put out the light of even one small candle----Robert Alden .
If it wern't entertaining, I wouldn't keep coming back.------the BigSky

D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
As noted by many of the above posts, you NEED a through inspection.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Bluedreaux
It looks haunted.

Hey! You stole the smart-azzed comment I was gonna make. grin

4 out of 5 Great Lakes prefer Michigan. smile
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Rancho_Loco
First thing I would assume is rubble foundation and rotten roof with water damage.

Can't know for sure until you put your head into it...

Buying old houses takes some discipline.. What looks real cool on the outside might be hiding some real problems on the inside.

Sheesh, renters think they know everything... grin

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Scott F
Federal law says a bank cannot be in he reality business.

Well, that certainly explains a lot... grin

IC B2

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Maybe it's built over an ancient Indian butial mound! ?

"Get Ouwwwt!"

"wanna hear God laugh? Tell Him you have complete control now!"
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Whttail_in_MT
Originally Posted by Rancho_Loco
First thing I would assume is rubble foundation and rotten roof with water damage.

Can't know for sure until you put your head into it...

Buying old houses takes some discipline.. What looks real cool on the outside might be hiding some real problems on the inside.

Sheesh, renters think they know everything... grin

grin

Rotten roof? Call the landlord!

After living and remodeling my own homes for ten years straight, it's sure been nice to rent for awhile.

Burnt out lightbulb? Call the landlord!

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Our house (3 bedroom townhouse, nice area of MD, 1930s construction, plumbing trashed) was originally listed at $170,000.

Then it dropped to $130,000.

Finally it dropped to $99,900. Then I bought it.

So right there, in an 8-month period after a year and a half on the market, is a @ $70,000 drop in price.

Our house was structurally sound and a good buy at $99k but at $170k, no way.

They'll keep dropping the price until it sells. It may take months to get them to accept your offer (in our case, @ 4 months from the offer of listed price) but in many cases they are losing their tail. I pulled the documents on our house and the bank lost @ $45,000 when they signed it over to me.

I told my dad, next time I rob a bank, I'll wear a mask. wink

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Something's wrong here.

As soon as I see this in an ad...

This property is being sold as-is, buyer to verify all to their satisfaction.

...I get very suspicious, and would be looking very closely to find out what prompted the "as-is" designation.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It's either in or bordering an EPA designated wetland.

Yep, it's haunted for sure! Possessed by the most evil type of demons. wink

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Edmund Burke 1795

"Give me liberty or give me death"
Patrick Henry 1775
IC B3

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by Bluedreaux
It looks haunted.

Yeah, I've been watching " A Haunting" on cable also. Don't worry, demons are just like any other pest. laugh

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by ColdBore
Something's wrong here.

...I get very suspicious, and would be looking very closely to find out what prompted the "as-is" designation.

Having walked through quite a few of these types of properties before we found our house (also as-is listed!) I can say they vary widely. Some are solid but need work, others really are basket cases.

Buyer beware, and bring a friend that knows remodeling/construction/something similar if you don't.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by ColdBore
Something's wrong here.

Not necessarily. I've sold most of my homes as is. They're in good shape. The buyer has opportunity to exercise due diligence just as I did when I purchased it.

Reliance on the word of realtors and inspectors is an excellent way to wind up with a nightmare on your hands.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
About 13 miles from the PT ferry terminal.

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Besides those things others have already mentioned another thing I would be concerned about with older homes, especially those built prior to the 1940's, is does it have any insulation inside all the exterior walls, and if so, what kind and how much. While it's usually not too difficult or costly to add insulation above the ceiling and below the floor, adding it behind the walls can be a very different matter.

It also can be hard to tell with older houses that have been remodeled just what deficiencies may have been covered up to save money, time and work. Sometime you may even be dealing with multiple partial remodeling and/or room addition jobs spread out over a good number of years by several previous owners.

Relatively inexpensive "eye-catching" aesthetic improvements can add "wow" factor where as correcting more serious deficiencies can get very expensive and add extra work without adding much, if anything, to the overall aesthetic appearance.

Most homeowner's or house flipper's have limits to how much they can or are willing to spend on a remodeling job and often times are more concerned with being able to see and show off to others the attractive changes and upgrades.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Bank owned property is almost always "as is".
You can beat them up on price, but they ain't gonna fix a thing.

I have wetlands on two sides of me and love it. I don't worry about someone building next door!

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Maybe it's the dead guy staring down from the top floor window? shocked

Never appeal to a mans "better side", he may not have one.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'd say first problem is location, it's not close to any major city with a economy or medical care.

Second problem is age and cost of maintenance or repair. Most older homes I've looked at would be better off burnt down so you can start over unless you have a love for fixing up old houses and investing money you will never get back out of it. In that region you can be almost guaranteed to have some rot, probably lots of it. That old of a structure is going to hard or impossible to finance and expensive to insure.

You can find all kinds of cheap property in SW Washington and Western Oregon if you don't mind living in an area without much of an economy or medical care. Twenty years of diminished logging and mills jobs has damaged at lot of those areas. I used to live in the region and most of the old cheap places are what I would consider a "burner".

"Life is tough, even tougher if your stupid"
John Wayne
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A couple of concerns. 1) You would be going from a generally conservative gun freindly region to a region rife with liberal thought and likely niehbors 2) I bought a home built in 1910 once and its construction methods were awful and even unsafe in areas. Insualtion? What was THAT? Nope, none in that old place 3) I would HATE to be the one who had to re-roof that monstrosity, clean its gutters, or its windows! 4) the region is known for producing lots of mold and moss die to wet weather and a damp climate

I could have worked and moved to Western WA when I chose Walla Walla 18 years ago. Never been sorry about thqat decision.

If you decide that you can handle living in a wet, overcast region filled with Liberal Weenies then I would definately donate the house to the local fire dept. for a pracitce burn. You might be able to salvage some old antiquey fitings, lights, windows, etc from it first and sell them for a profit. The rest of the house? I would watch it burn then build a modern home.

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Should add, many people who move from sunny climates suffer from depression when they move to Western Wa or Oregon due to too many overcast days and rain. A real issue and one to seriously consider. My wife would go freakin nuts on that side of the mountains with that little sunshine. I would be right behind her to the nut house after I snapped and evaporated several liberal weenie niehbors in a flurry.

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

499 members (22250rem, 1badf350, 10gaugeman, 222Sako, 1Longbow, 1234, 59 invisible), 2,180 guests, and 1,231 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,369
Posts18,506,520
Members74,000
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.