Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
T
TJO Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
T

I'm new to the site and would like to get some feedback from the some of the Kimber folks.

While home sick a couple of weeks ago, got a wild hair and bought a Kimber 84m select grade w/ AAA french in 257 Roberts off of GA. Always wanted a roberts and the Kimbers have always intrigued me. My past experience has been with pretty standard M 70's - Fwt 270 and a Winlight 338 - both push feed and 700's - 223 stainless syn that's in a HS sporter now and a 22-250 VS, with the HS like they did in the mid 90's.

My question about scope bases is this...I have always liked the Leupold Dual Dovetails, but does anybody know if the DD 84 (2-Piece) - Matte - 60910 base hangs out over the action opening when installed. The photos look like one of the bases is reversible and would likely hang over the action if used on a shorter tube scope. I'd like to avoid further restricting access. Any first hand experience out there?

I know I could always go with the standard Leupold or the Kimber bases with the windage screws, but the screws just seem so unnecessary. I have a Leup VX-II 2-7 to mount and assume low rings will work OK - any thoughts/experience there??

Thanks a bunch.

HR IC

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I would go Talley lightweights, lows.

Leupold would be fine but if you really want something simple in design I would get LW's.

84M, 2.5-8x36

[Linked Image]

T
TJO Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
T

Thanks for the photo. I've noticed the Talleys are very popular with Kimber owners. I like to concept, but have a hard time warming up to the more angular shape of the rings. I haven't messed around with rifles much for about 15 years - there's sure a lot more choices out there now.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
If you don't like Talley's, get a set of Warne, all-steel, Weaver-Style bases and a set of low Burris Zees...

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Dual Dovetails on 84M look similar to Dual Dovetails on Rem700s. Both Leupold Dual Dovetails and Talley Lightweights are fine. Use what you want to look at.

"Then join in hand, brave Americans all!.....By uniting we stand, by dividing we fall"
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Or go with the talley steel bases and rings.

“There are some who can live without wild things and some who cannot.”
ALDO LEOPOLD
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
That could be a good plan for TJO's rifle.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Yeah, dual-dovetails are nice.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
If you really want a sleek look ,check out Conetrol.

B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
talley's are truly sweet. Extra lows with a leupold work very well.

MOLON LABE
IC B3

T
TJO Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
T
I tried to attach an image and no idea if it worked. If so, it's the only image of the dual dovetails I could find. It looks like the front base is reversible so if it extends back, like you might need to do with a shorter scope, it would hang over the front of the action opening. The DD bases on my M70 are both short w/o any over hang and are really clean looking. You'd think they would use a similar design for something like the 84. I talked to Leupold today and they weren't able to shed any light.

Attached Images
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The bases are under 20bucks. Just get some.
The offset base goes on the rear and the centered base goes on the front just like a Rem700.
http://www.natchezss.com/product.cf...le=BASE%20DD%202PC%20KIMBER%2084%20MATTE

"Then join in hand, brave Americans all!.....By uniting we stand, by dividing we fall"
T
TJO Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
T
I appreciate everybody's perspective.

Patriot...thanks for clarifying which one was offset. With that it looks like the rear base will extend well beyond the top of the rear bridge regardless of which direction it's mounted. Doesn't seem like a good design for the scaled down 84 action. Too bad they didn't do like the M70 DD's w/o any offset. Might just have to stick with the standard style or try one of the others the guys suggested - talley steel or warne/burris zee combination.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'll qualify this with I've never tried it but xtrA low Talley is the first place I'd be looking. Along with a 6x36 Leo w/dotz.

But, I'll also say that I've always wanted the scope as low as I can get it. I can't imagine it wouldn't clear the bolt right...?

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Mark R Dobrenski
I'll qualify this with I've never tried it but xtrA low Talley is the first place I'd be looking. Along with a 6x36 Leo w/dotz.

But, I'll also say that I've always wanted the scope as low as I can get it. I can't imagine it wouldn't clear the bolt right...?

Dober

With X-lows the bolt handle will kiss the scope ocular of the 6x36 and other scopes with a similar ocular diameter. Not however the smaller Leupold compact's with their smaller oculars.

Low is plenty low for me... and the other thing to remember is the small Kimber bolt knob is small enough to manipulate without crowding the ocular more than the Low's already provide.

One last thing, because of the smaller diameter 84M/L receiver, the Tally Lwt Low's get the scope to the bore axis like the X-Lows do on a Winchester 70 or M700.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Morning Mac,

You mean kiss the ocular naturally every time, or if ones pulls the bolt towards it? I ask cause I've seen that happen on other rigs where if one pulled the handle a certain way it'd touch. But it wouldn't do it each time.

Make sense? I haven't had my morning diet dew yet...grin

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
TJO,
With your your new rifle, get a set of Talley LW's in low and keep life simple. With a shorter tube body such a 2-7's or 2.5-36's, I like the option of the Talleys in their "extended" version - 3/8" more leeway to slide the scope forward or backward. Have fun.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Another nod to the Talley lows. Proper scope clearance for both ocular and objective lens while keeping the scope close o bore line.

I too had to warm to the look, but now install nothing but the Talley lows on my Montanas.

"Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right."
Henry Ford

If it's tourist season, why can't we shoot them?
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Brad
Yeah, dual-dovetails are nice.

Didn't think Leuo made a dual dovetail base set for the 84

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
FWIW, and I know you said you haven't warmed up to them yet, but I just acquired an 84M Montana from bigwhoop and plan on running either a 6x36 LR or 2.5-8x36 in Talley LW lows.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

524 members (10gaugemag, 160user, 01Foreman400, 1234, 10gaugeman, 17Fan, 62 invisible), 2,334 guests, and 1,267 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,323
Posts18,487,458
Members73,969
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.