Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Dog_Hunter
Al Asad...what a dive. I was based out of Camp Ripper for a while with RCT-2's PSD. The entire AO Denver is quite the $hit hole.
Make that the whole country of Iraq.

Al-Asad was nice I thought.

I lived in Tripoli Village on Tower road at Al-Asad for 9 months before I relocated to Talil.

As far as places in Iraq goes, Al-Asad was about as good as it gets with maybe Balad being a little nicer.

The nice thing about Al-Asad was that it was so remote, that you hardly ever had to worry about incomming.

Great thread, BTW! I bet those chains could tell some stories!

"Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." - John Adams

Turdlike, by default.
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
those chains could tell some stories!

Yeah, but they'll BREAK at -60 F.

Ya' gotta wonder what kinda' drugs inspire THAT kinda' gibberish.

We had a GREAT "Tire Chains Thread" here a coupla' years ago, Jeff Olson had gotten a feed truck a bit "Low slung" and the thread just went pages.

GOOD subject to keep rolling,....this

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Cool shot!

Jed York does not own the 49ers; Russell Wilson does.
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Well the ice fishing has sucked lately and its been way too windy to call coyotes so I decided to go check out some new country I have been meaning to look at. You can guess what happened (twice today) Luckily, I am a self proclaimed expert at getting vehicles unstuck, and actually enjoy it sometimes. Here's how:

Like with handguns, automatics are for queers. Get a manual and thank me later.
[Linked Image]
As much as I love my Power Stroke for pulling trailers, a 1/2 ton (if not a small bed) is so damn much lighter and easier to tug out of a nasty spot. I know only the rear is chained, I had already taken the front chains off when I decided to get a pic.
[Linked Image]
Have the right tools: always carry 4 chains, a tow chain, a tow strap with loops NOT hooks, a highlift jack, a shovel, a sledgehammer, an ax and whatever else you feel necessary. I don't know how anyone who owns a pickup can stand to not have a quality toolbox in the back.
[Linked Image]
When you're dead serious about getting somewhere, chain up.
[Linked Image]
Winches are neat, but expensive and more expensive when cables fray and eventually break. Here is my solution:
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
In Wyomings anal orifice there's not too many trees to hook to, so a 4 foot crowbar drove deep into the ground suffices. I have had these pull out, but the ground gives so no rocket effect into your windshield occurs. This set up works way better than a guy would think. It needs to be drove completely into the ground so the chain is as low as possible. I didn't think to get pics while actually winching myself out, so these pics are a mock setup after I got back to the main road.
[img]http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t292/inmanta/DSCN0506.jpg[/img]
[img]http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t292/inmanta/DSCN0505.jpg[/img]
[img]http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t292/inmanta/DSCN0502.jpg[/img]
The only problem here is getting my anchor point out of the ground sometimes takes longer than everything else combined. Usually you have to use the highlift again.
[img]http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t292/inmanta/DSCN0507.jpg[/img]

Good luck out there and I hope this was informative.

Devil da gone dog... If you wanna avoid this mess, by a yoder. They're made in Tehaas, dontcha know?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Will 223 pistol ammo bounce off grizzly's head?

Time spent hunting is not deducted from one's lifetime.

IC B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Boy, does that sound familiar.

Originally Posted by Partsman
... we were stuck in a clearing that looked solid, but wasn't.

Back in the Stone Age (pre-cell phone, anyway) my brother, a friend of mine and I found a place like that while deer-hunting in SW Georgia. After finding that innocent-looking stretch of grown-over logging road, we then spent 4 hours getting away from it. We had a one come-along and a chain and one good anchor rod to pull his 2WD 3/4-ton pickup out of trouble.

All the while we were there my brother was wishing for his BILs 4WD Jeep truck. As it turned out his BIL and three friends spent seven hours that day with two come-alongs doing the same thing.
From that I concluded that 4WD means you can go 4 times as far from help and get stuck 4 times as bad as with 2WD.

T_Inman Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I would curl up and die if I didn't have 4 wheel drive, but that's just me.

One thing I should mention is that a strap should NOT be used to when "winching" out. If that thing breaks it could be just as bad as a winch cable snapping and recoiling back at ya. Use a good solid logging chain. A heavy duty strap is used when another rig is there to tug on ya. When doing that a chain will jerk your frame to pieces. Snatch blocks are always good to have too. Their usefullness is only limited by your creativity.
For my heavy duty pickup, I have a 6 foot long old tractor axle I welded some wings on (to stop the shackle from sliding over the top) that I drive into the ground with a sledge hammer. I use it in the same fashion as the heavy duty crowbar above. I don't know if the crowbar would hold up to the weight of my diesel.

anyhow, I'm off to go ice fishing. You all have a good day.

Last edited by Dog_Hunter; 02/20/12.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
were you actually stuck in those pics or did you just take the opportunity for a photo technic demo. confused

T_Inman Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I was not stuck. I had already got out and was back down at the main road and had taken the front chains off when I decided to get some pictures. That's why the crowbar is not drove completely into the ground. It needs to be when actually in use.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

Like with handguns, automatics are for queers.

that made me laugh

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by jmgraham1986

Since moving out west i've always wondered what a guy is to do if he gets stuck in the muck where there is no trees around to help jerk himself out....

Call AAA!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Like with handguns, automatics are for queers. Get a manual and thank me later.
[Linked Image]

Oh, wait maybe that's why we kept getting stuck???

grin

[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I learned early on that getting stuck is only a part of getting anywhere you wanted to go. My dad did it really well with only a 2 wheel drive truck.

I have been around Montana all my life trying to go places that weren't meant to be traveled. I have come to a point that I don't want to get that stuck anymore and use my head instead of a recovery system.

All the tools mentioned have a place in serious off road travel. We used to have about the same equipment in a Toyota Landcruiser, we hunted all over with. Even with all that stuff, when you are belly deep in a bog in central Montana, you are more stuck than you can get out without help.

We spent a night in the Landcruiser about 15 miles from the nearest ranch, thank goodness the rancher came looking for us in the morning, when we didn't return the previous night. We still refer to the bog as "Easter Swamp", seeing that it was Easter morning when he finally found us.

This shows some of the unnecessary acts you can commit as you try to go some of those places that require recovery tools. It seems Russ wanted to go up this forest road when we didn't have a chain saw, but I did have a M-1 Garand to shoot through the tree to weaken it, then pull it in two with a winch so we could proceed...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I really did myself one year in the M-Bow mountains.
Late spring, day before there had been about two inches of sideways so it coated all the snow. I'm seeing a "highway" over the mountains from the Medicine Bow to the Powder River side.
Map Didn't Say Closed In Winter. No Gate.
So there I am, beautful WYoming spring morning, tootling up a nice gravel road, into a shallow cut, and FLOOMP.
This was a 1965 Ford Econoline van....the cut had filled with snirt so the smooth, smooth gap between the sage was NOT a dusting of two inches -- but three feet.
Lucky for me there was a ranchstead a couple of miles back, nobody home but I found a shovel.
Dig dig dig dig dig dig dig. Finally got the unit upright on the ground. Then I dug a ramp.
While I'm digging, along comes a PBY on SAR. He starts circling, I walk out in the snow and write NO. He waggles and flies off.
Temperature drops, ramp freezes, at Oh Dark Morning I drive off the snirt bank and AROUND through the frozen sage back to civilization.
Brought the shovel back to the rancher, paid him ten bucks rent.
Bought a shovel in Casper going the long way around to Douglas. Still haven't had a chance to go back to see what lay ahead.

Up hills slow,
Down hills fast
Tonnage first and
Safety last.
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I think one thing that is being forgotten is running real tires. Real tires will get you out of a lot of situations compared to highway tires labeled "all terrains."

Anyone that is serious about getting off the beaten path should run some real rubber, regardless of being prepared with winches, jacks, shovels etc.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Come work in the oil field !
Nice pics and gear, but Pales to where we go and what we do, and how bad our roll overs are. Pics later.

T_Inman Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I work in the oil fields for the BLM here in WY and must say all the oil company rigs are huge 3/4 and 1 ton diesels. When things get to gumbo I see those big ol' rigs having all kinds of trouble. All they have to do is pull off a main road and they stay there till it dries or someone tugs them out. I rarely see them towing anything that requires a diesel. If they do its usually some work truck bigger than a 1 ton if not a semi.

I was so happy when I got a 1/2 ton for a work pickup. It is so damn easy to manhandle compared to a superduty or cummins when your digging yourself out.

Shrapnel, thats good stuff. Thats what I like to see!

Last edited by Dog_Hunter; 02/20/12.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have some good snapshots of two 5 ton wreckers recovering a full 5000 gallon fuel tanker and cab in Northern Italy on a NATO exercise in 1986. I was the CO CDR of the DS MT CO that recovered the tank truck (belonged to the Service and Support Company of an Infantry BDE). That was a mission to remember - now just to find the damn pictures!

One of the sanest, surest, and most generous joys of life comes from being happy over the good fortune of others.
Archibald Rutledge

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by 444Matt
By the way, off topic, but finding a stick shift full size truck is getting rediculous hard to do.

Impossible now in a half ton, I believe.

Camp is where you make it.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I work in the oil fields for the BLM here in WY and must say all the oil company rigs are huge 3/4 and 1 ton diesels. When things get to gumbo I see those big ol' rigs having all kinds of trouble. All they have to do is pull off a main road and they stay there till it dries or someone tugs them out. I rarely see them towing anything that requires a diesel. If they do its usually some work truck bigger than a 1 ton if not a semi.

I was so happy when I got a 1/2 ton for a work pickup. It is so damn easy to manhandle compared to a superduty or cummins when your digging yourself out.

Shrapnel, thats good stuff. Thats what I like to see!

Not to intentionally flame oil field workers, but few of those areas are known for the world's best when it comes to driving. Driving a company rig vs. driving your own and also being aware that when you are on your own, you can't be as wreckless and rely on someone else following right behind you and bailing you out.

I believe the intent of this thread is an awareness of just how alone you are when you are hunting and how necessary it is to be self reliant and be able to get yourself out of an ugly situation you may have gotten into. Hunting rabbits, we have gotten into some hairy situations that required more work than some put into elk hunting...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I drive a 22 ton rig up truck. We pull lots of vehicle out of ditches, soft spots on locations, and turn overs out. Trust me, a chained up rig up truck can go almost anywhere. Least til it gets high centered, then nothing can move. It's amazing just how much traction chains give you. BTW, I just took my chains off. I'm moving a drilling rig today.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

557 members (10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 22kHornet, 257Bob, 2500HD, 222ND, 68 invisible), 2,565 guests, and 1,263 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,693
Posts18,534,560
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.