Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 8 of 18 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 17 18
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Greyghost
Geeze do any of you bother to read. He wasn't being threatend, no one was in harms way, NO ONE WAS BEING RAPED, and it wasn't his property.

Phil

Did you not bother to read that he had just returned home & his own house had been burglarized too.......& a guy is crawling out of his neighbor's house????

Guess I wouldn't need a brick to fall on me to be able to wonder if it could have been the same perp.

MM

GB1

N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
A 'warning shot' is considered 'deadly force'? I realize a gun can be but how is an intentional warning shot deadly force?

It might have something to do with where the warning shot was placed. Which piece of ground was it fired into?

Disclaimer: At this point I am not only playing Devil's Advocate but working outside the known facts of the case. I am not, and would not, post anything other than what I have read in the papers.

George

�Out of every one hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back.�
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by GeauxLSU
A 'warning shot' is considered 'deadly force'? I realize a gun can be but how is an intentional warning shot deadly force?

Also, most people in this thread it appears would be good to have as neighbors. A select few however, are apparently as useful as a burnt match.

My LEO days were over in '75 and I am not any kind of expert of NH law. But, I am suspicious there would be a case for menacing in the warning shot especially if the bad guy coming out the window was not showing a weapon. In some states menacing is a felony. But this is all arm chair second guessing.

Last edited by Scott F; 02/21/12.

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Scott F
But this is all arm chair second guessing.
If that is ever disallowed the posts on this forum will go down by 93%.

NRA Lifer
"It is curious that physical courage should be so common in the world and moral courage so rare." - Mark Twain
"Everybody has principles... until they are an inconvenience." - Me

N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
Laffin'....more than that for some.

George

�Out of every one hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back.�
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
AMEN fellas', AMEN.

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Guess I don't give a flying [bleep] who's property (excluding yours) is being stolen. Bet you're of the mindset that hey everybody has insurance, they'll cover it. That doesn't sit well with me. I work hard for what I've got. If some whigger decides he wants what I've got let him get a job and buy it like everybody else!

Im not ready to surrender my man-card just yet. You on the other hand... sick

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Do you have any idea what the [bleep] your even talking about?

Phil

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Cheyenne
Originally Posted by AcesNeights
T---Perhaps it's YOU who should re-read the posts at the beginning of the thread. Paying particularly close attention to Cheyenne defendiing what should be condemned.

Uh, my post agreed with Mackay that it sounded like an inappropriate use of discretion. Unfortunately, there sometimes is a disconnect between what is legal/illegal and what is appropriate under the circumstances. The law should be in harmony with right and wrong, but sometimes it is not, because the law is a "one size fits all" codification. As long as the officer is acting within the bounds of the law, the penalty for an officer applying discretion inappropriately is disciplinary and/or administrative, not through civil redress by the "victim" or criminal action against the officer. If you read my body of work on this forum, you will see that I absolutely believe that officers must act within the bounds of law, and I don't mean stepping within a millimeter of the line, and I also believe that the judicious use of discretion is the hallmark of a good police officer. But, if someone says something is "illegal" and violative of rights because discretion is used inappropriately, s/he just doesn't understand the law.

Cheyenne---I agree with what you wrote above. I also have no reason to believe you are anything but a great cop and certainly didn't mean to infer otherwise. I was only addressing this quote from you as it pertained to hunter1960s question......

"For the people thinking it was an illegal arrest, think again. I suspect the well-intentioned neighbor's actions probably fall within some crime. It certainly wasn't a bright idea and easily could be viewed as reckless endangerment. Further, the fact that a person does not get convicted does not mean the police were wrong."

In any case I hope you have a good night and stay safe out there.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ColeYounger
Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
The police cannot allow folks to deal with criminals on their own, because that's their only justification for existing, thus they make examples whenever they can of folks who do it.

HORSESCHIT Hawkeye,

Explain to me then why I roll out to every single medical and fire call in my jurisdiction if my only reason for existing is to make examples of people who catch their own bad guys!

My last days on I hauled a$$ out to a house on fire. I got there and met the home owner/rancher who was already outside with the wife. It was a chimney fire that caught rafters and attic insulation on fire.

He and his wife had already grabbed a couple of photo albums and some stuff. The fire was really not that bad. Anyways, I told him I would help him get his furniture out and safe outside. Whatever it took.

We went in the back of the house and scouted out what we could get out if things went bad for the firemen.

I know a bunch of cops who do the same thing whenever they get the chance. I figure someone would help me if the roles were reversed.

Med calls every single shift are no different.

Don't hand me that crap.
You don't like the work, get a different job. I wouldn't like work where I was "forced" to arrest people who had committed no real crime. That's why I'm not a cop.

Also, that post where you talked about telling the guy "good job" and then what he did wrong...he don't need your pat on the head.

Where did he say he didn't like the work?

"I Birn Quhil I Se" MacLeod of Lewis
I Burn While I See
Hold Fast MacLeod of Harris
IC B3

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
I know exactly what i'm talking about. You on the other hand have spent too much time in the California sun... dude.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Enough time in the sun to realize I don't have the right to grab a gun and run over to my neighbors place and start poppin off rounds because I believe someone comming out their window MIGHT be the person I suspect of breaking into my house and no body witnessed....

Phil

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Do you have any idea what the [bleep] your even talking about?

Phil
He's making good sense to me.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Enough time in the sun to realize I don't have the right to grab a gun and run over to my neighbors place and start poppin off rounds because I believe someone comming out their window MIGHT be the person I suspect of breaking into my house and no body witnessed....

Phil
Where do you get the idea you don't have that right? The only thing you don't have a right to do is victimize someone. Stopping a felon in the act is not victimizing him, so it's within your rights. The law and rights are often two different issues, as we've seen here.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
TRH's 100% got this one.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Where do you get the idea you don't have that right?

It'll come to you when the guy coming out of the window--who may be the owner of the house--perceives YOU as the threat and shoots your ass.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Stray
Where do you get the idea you don't have that right?

It'll come to you when the guy coming out of the window--who may be the owner of the house--perceives YOU as the threat and shoots your ass.
Mistakes happen all the time. Doesn't mean you lock yourself up in your house for fear of ever making one rather than doing the right thing when the situation calls for it. The mistake you describe, however, seems so low probability as to be absurd, all factors considered.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T

Phil

What an ignorant mofo. Looky where the SFB (that [bleep] FOR BRAINS) is from. What a surprise. You deserve to live where you live.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S

grin

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

The Winner!! laugh

[Linked Image]
Page 8 of 18 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 17 18

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

145 members (338reddog, 204guy, 338rcm, 907brass, 338Rules, 16penny, 20 invisible), 1,720 guests, and 1,077 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,623
Posts18,474,049
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.