Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Until this thread, I wasn't even aware of the Ruger American. Be interesting to see how it does in the market place, and whether Ruger adds a stainless steel model in the future. I see that Ruger differentiates their model from other manufacturers with a rotary magazine which looks to be flush. It's not exactly my cup of tea, but they needed to compete in that market segment and looks to be as likely a choice as the other econo-line rifles.

HR IC

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by kalbrecht
The biggest negative I can see about the Tikka is that pos plastic detachable mag, it protrudes about a half inch below the bottom of the stock and that's where I grip my rifle when carrying it one handed.

I was concerned about that too when I bought mine. FWIW, mine seems to balance a bit further ahead than most rifles ('heavy' barrel/light butt?) and the mag protrusion isn't really noticeable to me. I'm thinking my last 2 fingers seem to fall on the protruding part, not the palm of my hand.

Dale

This space for rent

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Tikka

"There are no dangerous weapons. There are only dangerous men." - Robert Heinlein
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've had both. T3 hands down!

Plenty of hunters my way bring home the meat with both of these fine rifles, year in & year out.....But I can tell you now the Tikka outsells sells the Ruger 10 to 1. There is a reason for that.....

Taking my rifle for a walk
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have never been one to care what a rifle looks like. If I did I would of never hunted with R93 & R8's LOL(ugly but extremely functional rifles) wink ...Just as long as they function 100% OUT OF THE BOX without smith work, & SHOOT around 1.5" with 3 at 100, that'll do me wink

PS- plus the T3 is lighter, slicker & they all shoooooooooooot lights out!

Last edited by Melvin24; 02/21/12. Reason: PS added

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Melvin24
I have never been one to care what a rifle looks like. If I did I would of never hunted with R93 & R8's LOL(ugly but extremely functional rifles) wink ...Just as long as they function 100% OUT OF THE BOX without smith work, & SHOOT around 1.5" with 3 at 100, that'll do me wink

Melvin,
yep, the Blaser's surely are a nice rifle and they work.

In my old age (if you can call 42 old!!) i tend to steer towards ligther rifles and the T3 Lite surely would be nice - even better a Sako A7 . The Ruger in its current form sure is nice but a tad heavy - the reason I only use mine from my truck at night.

But another gun would mean another safe to buy - yep, yep, yep!!

Gus

Last edited by Gus_K; 02/21/12.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Not all of them apparently.

After my experience with a T3 you'd be hard pressed to give me one.

I'd like to see some supporting documentation that shows the T3 outselling the M77 10-1. I'm thinking the ratio would be reversed with the name recognition of Ruger.

The Chosin Few November to December 1950, Korea.
I'm not one of the Chosin Few but no more remarkable group of Americans ever existed.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My hunting buddy has a 338WM SS T3, which cost $600 less than my Montana's. And as much as I think the 84's Montana's are a incredible rifle for the bills$$$, IMO the T3 has no peers when you think about what you get for $$!
Plus you can beat the crap outa those em & not have to worry about scratching it up at that price$...... If it lasts 5 seasons, it's done the job. Bin it & buy a newby LOL wink

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My hunting buddy has a 338WM SS T3, which cost $600 less than my Montana's. And as much as I think the 84's Montana's are a incredible rifle for the bills$$$, IMO the T3 has no peers when you think about what you get for $$!
Plus you can beat the crap outa those em & not have to worry about scratching it up at that price$...... If it lasts 5 seasons, it's done the job. Bin it & buy a newby LOL wink

Perfect solution for a disposable rifle.

I'm not one of the Chosin Few but no more remarkable group of Americans ever existed.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
HAA but I guess that opening was there wink

IC B3

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by nsaqam

Except they sell for over $620 to $700 on gunbroker at least. I'd hardly call that a disposable price when you can go Savage or Remington for around $300 or so. If you don't expect more than five seasons, why would stainless even be a criteria?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Exactly GL.

The T3 is no longer an inexpensive choice.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Gringo Loco

Except they sell for over $620 to $700 on gunbroker at least. I'd hardly call that a disposable price when you can go Savage or Remington for around $300 or so. If you don't expect more than five seasons, why would stainless even be a criteria?

Exactly. When I owned mine it was a 270WSM Lite(blued model). I guess for my buddy it's a BLING thing LOL

V
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
V

Not all of them apparently.

After my experience with a T3 you'd be hard pressed to give me one.

I'd like to see some supporting documentation that shows the T3 outselling the M77 10-1. I'm thinking the ratio would be reversed with the name recognition of Ruger.
I agree here, no way Tikka outsells Ruger rifles 10 to 1 get real I know a bunch of hunters and can't think of one that runs a Tikka, a local gun shop did have a T3 lite Stainless in .308 Win (long action to boot)that sat on his shelf for almost a year before it sold, he hasn't stocked another since..........Hb

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
In Australia they popular like you won't believe. As are Rugers..... but at my LGS it's Rems & T3's that sell best.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Tikka=accuracy.

https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
μολὼν λαβέ

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
As far as the polymer mags go, my brother dropped one on the frozen ground, didn't see it and ran over it with his plough truck. Picked it up, dusted the snow and moisture off it, and good to go. Hard to convince him that they are fragile.

"Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life." (Prov 4:23)

Brother Keith

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
My neighbor just bought a T3 7-08 for $495, black/blued.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
N
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
N
I have seen dozens of Rugers at the Ranges I frequent and only one Tikka. I would bet that M77's out sell Tikkas 5 to 1 or more in the Northeast.

I haven't seen a Tikka on the used rack either, and while some might think that makes them a keeper, there are lots of other "keeper" rifles on the used racks around here.

The collection of taxes which are not absolutely required, which do not beyond reasonable doubt contribute to public welfare, is only a species of legalized larceny. Under this Republic the rewards of industry belong to those who earn them. Coolidge
B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by the_shootist
As far as the polymer mags go, my brother dropped one on the frozen ground, didn't see it and ran over it with his plough truck. Picked it up, dusted the snow and moisture off it, and good to go. Hard to convince him that they are fragile.
Try that with a sheet steel detachable mag and see what happens.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

568 members (1beaver_shooter, 1936M71, 1badf350, 1lesfox, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 61 invisible), 2,659 guests, and 1,228 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,928
Posts18,498,623
Members73,983
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.