Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by nsaqam
Exactly GL.

The T3 is no longer an inexpensive choice.

I wouldn't call T3's disposable as they are as rugged as any other rifle out there. Cabela's is/was selling A7's for $650 if the plastics worry you too much.

None of the rifles in that price range are going to have a great stock. T3 is no different. I don't have any regular synthetics myself; one blued Hunter, one SS Varmint and one blued Varmint.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Get a blind mag and you don't need to worry about lost or broken mags.

As well as a stronger and easier to carry rifle.

The Chosin Few November to December 1950, Korea.
I'm not one of the Chosin Few but no more remarkable group of Americans ever existed.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by nsaqam
Get a blind mag and you don't need to worry about lost or broken mags.

As well as a stronger and easier to carry rifle.
I've got a blind mag rifle {savage} and think it's a PITA. I currently have 6 rifles with detachable mags and have never lost a magazine in 40 years of use. I much prefer the convenience of the detachable over top loading.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Guess that's why they make both I suppose.

My personal preference is a blind mag but I'm glad they make detachable mag rifles for those who prefer them.

This would be a boring ass world if we all liked the same things.

The Chosin Few November to December 1950, Korea.
I'm not one of the Chosin Few but no more remarkable group of Americans ever existed.
E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Rugged as any rifle out there ? Not with that extraction and ejection system they aren't. Rugers are the closet actions out there that copy the old 98 Mauser design.
If you insist on an all weather and conditions rifle, the Rugers along with the Classic or pre-64 Winchesters and rifles made with the old 98 Mauser action are right at the top for reliability.
If a T3 is good enough in your experience fine. I insist on an edge as my rifles spend alot of time in bad conditions and don't always get the best of care. E

IC B2

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Eremicus
Rugged as any rifle out there ? Not with that extraction and ejection system they aren't. Rugers are the closet actions out there that copy the old 98 Mauser design.
If you insist on an all weather and conditions rifle, the Rugers along with the Classic or pre-64 Winchesters and rifles made with the old 98 Mauser action are right at the top for reliability.
If a T3 is good enough in your experience fine. I insist on an edge as my rifles spend alot of time in bad conditions and don't always get the best of care. E
I take 3 weeks vacation during deer season every year and hunt every day rain, snow, sleet or shine. Never had a single "in the field" malfunction or parts breakage with any CF rifle or shotgun in 40 years. That includes 12 years and counting with my Tikka 595. My Win 94 and Marlin 336 have now been through 4 decades of use totalling several hundred days afield with zero failures. Ditto for my old 12 gauge Mossberg 500 and that has been abused unmercifully while waterfowl, predator and deer hunting. I have had a few parts failures over the years though. An 870 firing pin, an extractor on a much used Marlin bolt action .22, a couple bolt buffers on Marlin semi auto .22's, a firing pin on an old Stevens 15 .22 and probably a couple more that escape memory at the moment. I do know all happened while at the range/Plinking and all broken parts were made of steel with the exception of the Marlin bolt buffers. Bottom line is I don't worry in the least about failures afield just because I'm not carrying a Mauser design rifle or a gun with some plastic parts.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
I'm a Ruger guy, haven't had one that wouldn't shoot at least 1 1/2" groups. More than accurate enough for hunting. Sounds like lots of computer experts that haven't had many Rugers on here. I've had at least 25 of them over the years. They just work.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Tube socks trump Tikkas!!

Buy the Ruger!!

WAR EAGLE!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by the_shootist
As far as the polymer mags go, my brother dropped one on the frozen ground, didn't see it and ran over it with his plough truck. Picked it up, dusted the snow and moisture off it, and good to go. Hard to convince him that they are fragile.

The polymer detachable mags...........they are great - especially if you loose one.

Went deer hunting with my mate who has a nice T3 in 300 Win Mag. Alas he lost the only mag he had.....he pinpointed the location where he "could" have lost it and spent an hour trying to find it in the dirt.....only to discover he had it all along in his jacket pocket!!!!
Detachable magazines - great things, made to drive you around the bend if you mis-place them

Gus

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I want to thank everybody for their thoughts on which rifle to choose. I'm leaning pretty strongly towards the Ruger, right now.

I've owned Mausers, Springfields, Winchesters,Remingtons, Savages and Rugers. On all of them (even my Savage with it's detachable magazine) I've been able to reload from the top with an open bolt.

I don't know if I could learn to remove the mag, reload the mag and reinsert the mag all under the pressure of a hunting situation. I guess I don't know if this old dog could learn this new trick.

Anyway thanks again everybody for you thoughts, I appreciate them.

IC B3

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Cariboujack
I'm a Ruger guy, haven't had one that wouldn't shoot at least 1 1/2" groups. More than accurate enough for hunting. Sounds like lots of computer experts that haven't had many Rugers on here. I've had at least 25 of them over the years. They just work.

They do and you could probably attest to them working in some pretty extreme conditions.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
My T3 in 270WSM was a sub MOA shooter. My two T3's in 6.5x55 shoot about half again better than that. I've never had a Ruger shoot as good as a T3 and I've had many more Ruger's than Tikka's.

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've got two Hawkeyes and have owned six others.
The new rugers are very accurate.
I have a problem with overseas parts supply.
Some are good, some aren't.
Just a thought.
Also, look at aftermarket parts.
Remington 700's and Ruger 10-22's are on the top of the heap. IMHO

I am the way, the truth, and the life: no one comes to the Father but by me. John 14:6
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

696 members (10gaugeman, 160user, 007FJ, 1beaver_shooter, 16penny, 10gaugemag, 72 invisible), 3,194 guests, and 1,410 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,481
Posts18,471,797
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.