Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 17 of 18 1 2 15 16 17 18
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by pa_gus
I know here in Pa (at least in my county) any arrest involving a gun you have to give up your firearms, Also an arrest for Dui you have to give up your firearms.... before trial. One of my best friends had to turn in all his guns after being arrested for DUI, the case was thrown out at the magisterial level. But because the charges were dropped "with prejudice". He could not get them back. He can still buy new guns, just can't have the ones he turned in

I'm finding that very difficult to believe. BTW, charges being "dismissed with prejudice" is in favor of the defendant. Means they can't be brought back up.

War Damn Eagle!

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Cheyenne
Originally Posted by HugAJackass

It seems to me that if I was an officer, I'd follow the law to the letter, and in such cases as it (the law) doesn't sit well in application to a certain situation like this one, I would do my best to speak on behalf of the arrested party.

Hard one, I know, as in this case the man brought on his own strife by actually breaking the law, even if not in spirit.

The system would function a lot worse, and more injustice would occur, in a zero tolerance world. If you start out with the supposition that the law is designed to discourage bad behavior, rather than merely to punish, the goal frequently can be accomplished without the need for enforcement action. Once an officer makes a decision to act or not act, s/he owns the decision, so it behooves the officer to examine the issue in good faith and have a really good rationale either way.

What's a cop to do though? If he doesn't uphold the letter of the law, his neck is on the block. If he does, his neck is on the block.

Jim brought something to light for me. There had to have been an investigation on the scene. This means it had to be the investigators decision to arrest, not the actual arresting officer.

It's a murky process all around. There has to be a better way to protect the public and enforce the laws....

"Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." - John Adams

Turdlike, by default.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by luv2safari
Originally Posted by Longbeardking
Ya know. In reading some of the posts where a few put the officers involved down for making the decision to arrest didn't sit very well with me. It's really easy to be a back seat driver, or an arm chair quaterback, or any other term you want to apply. One mentioned, "what happened to officer discretion"? We have all the time in the world to sift through things after the fact, but a cop has to make his decision right then and there for the most part. I made arrests maybe that I shouldn't have made. But based on the situation at hand, I made my decision. If the cause was found, the arrest stood. If the evidence didn't support me, as in this case, the charges were dropped. Everyone involved with this did the job they were hired to do. What more can you ask of anyone?

I think we could have and must ask for common sense to prevail. The arresting officer "jumped his gun" in being so quick to arrest the victim. Had he used better judgement, the victim would have never gone through what was foisted upon him, and he would not have an arrest record to contend with.

On the outside, looking in...it appears that LEO takes no interest in the long term ramifications of these quick arrests and the harm they might cause an innocent person who plays by the rules all his life and causes no harm, ever.

This isn't a condemnation of LEO painted with a broad brush, but...dammit...LEO works for us who abide by the law, and they need to remember that sometimes, while doing the most difficult job imaginable...to protect us all.

Not picking, but you have no experience in this area, do you?? How many crime scenes involving shootings, use of deadly force, etc. have you been to?? I can guarantee, that this wasn't some, "shake & bake" hurry up make an arrest situation.

I can again guarantee you that the arresting LEO wasn't the only officer on the scene, I can also guarantee you that he probably wasn't the highest ranking either. I can also guarantee you that a patrol unit front-hood "Pow Wow" was held, as to where to go with this case.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Only in a very few instances does the law actually require the taking of enforcement action.

"Don't believe everything you see on the Internet" - Abraham Lincoln
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by hunter1960
I can guarantee, that this wasn't some, "shake & bake" hurry up make an arrest situation.

I can again guarantee you that the arresting LEO wasn't the only officer on the scene, I can also guarantee you that he probably wasn't the highest ranking either. I can also guarantee you that a patrol unit front-hood "Pow Wow" was held, as to where to go with this case.

I can absolutely buy that...

What worries me is that even after all that, they still made the arrest. Was it a CYA thing, you think?

"Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." - John Adams

Turdlike, by default.
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by pa_gus
Don't read into my comments as leo bashing, the officers have nothing to due with how laws are written, they just have to enforce them. In the particular case (my buddie), I was reffering to, I have a feeling the guns were already gone when he went to retrtrive them.

He should of got an Atty. and sat down with the DA & Judge and got an order releasing the guns back to him. The guns went somewhere? There should be a log of where they were logged into evidence and logged out.

The state police have been investigating the local sheriff's office for years, on their records. As of right now they have suppeona the dept. for all records, the sheriff has refused to produce them, and is in Jail on contempt charges. This all came to light when a man ( not my buddie) was charged and aquitted ( of what I don't remember) went to retrieve his firearms and was told there was no record of them. He was a class 3? ( fully auto) license holder, and one of the thompson's that he turned over ended up at a gunshop in the county. The bill of sale said the county sold it to the gunshop for 575.00 ( I've never been in the market for one, but that sounds like a bargain). He turned over two thompsons, thats the one that was found. Welcome to Luzerne Co.

The Judge or DA has the authority to call the State Police to investigate the agency who seized the guns, at least they do in this state anyway.

We don't have a State Police per say, we have TBI (TN. Bureau of Invest.) I've seen them investigate many an agency and make arrests of LEO's to include elected Sheriff's.

EVERYBODY is pro-gun, some just don't know it. When an anti-gun person is in trouble, the first thing they do is call 911 and demand that they send somebody with a gun!

"Turdlike".... in record time

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Only in a very few instances does the law actually require the taking of enforcement action.

I could never be a cop....

I'm glad they're there though, even when stuff like this happens. We are a better society with them, than without....

Turdlike, by default.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by .280Rem
Here's the problem...and I'm speculating this was the case here. There are two things officers, and/or their agencies do. Officers often are trained to believe that courts "sort things out". That could have been the case here.

The other is departmental policies that say probable cause = automatic arrest. I'm betting this is the more likely scenario.

In either event, it's passing the buck, and it's passing it to an entity that is NOT charged with investigating, and "sorting things out"...the DA is charged with prosecuting crimes, and the courts with maintaining procedural safeguards. Cases brought to him should have been "sorted out" by the investigating officer(s). That's what an investigation does, sorts out facts, and circumstances.

We don't know if an investigator or a patrol supervisor wasn't involved. The decision may of been made and the arresting officer, was just the one who placed him under arrest. When i worked in patrol, i've been to many crime scenes where I was told to place the suspect under arrest and transport and book the suspect. My name was on the booking card and Mittimus as the arresting officer, yet I wasn't the one who made the decision to place the suspect under arrest. You know this happens and have seen it yourself.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

It seems to me that if I was an officer, I'd follow the law to the letter, and in such cases as it (the law) doesn't sit well in application to a certain situation like this one, I would do my best to speak on behalf of the arrested party.

Hard one, I know, as in this case the man brought on his own strife by actually breaking the law, even if not in spirit.

The system would function a lot worse, and more injustice would occur, in a zero tolerance world. If you start out with the supposition that the law is designed to discourage bad behavior, rather than merely to punish, the goal frequently can be accomplished without the need for enforcement action. Once an officer makes a decision to act or not act, s/he owns the decision, so it behooves the officer to examine the issue in good faith and have a really good rationale either way.

What's a cop to do though? If he doesn't uphold the letter of the law, his neck is on the block. If he does, his neck is on the block.

Jim brought something to light for me. There had to have been an investigation on the scene. This means it had to be the investigators decision to arrest, not the actual arresting officer.

It's a murky process all around. There has to be a better way to protect the public and enforce the laws....

Every agency has different policies. Where I policed, I didn't have to arrest anybody by policy. I was ordered to arrest someone exactly once. I put that in my report: "Sgt. ordered me to arrest, and charge with..." So when the detective got the case, he knew I didn't create the screwed up mess, and my Sgt. was on the hook as a witness now.

It used to be policy in the City of Birmingham, that a patrol officer could not make an arrest on the street for drugs. If it was a simple possession case, he made a report, took the drugs, and it was handed over to a drug detective. If it was something big, the detective had to be called to the scene.

Cases like the one in this thread though? Yeah, the facts fit the letter of the law, BUT there were extenuating circumstances too. Hard for me to fathom that somebody in the chain of command didn't have the ability to say either "Policy be damned, investigate, do a report, and let the DA decide to charge or not." Or that a supervisor didn't pull officer Do-right aside and say "hey, why don't you rethink this decision, you can always get a warrant or indictment later if need be?" Whichever was the case.

War Damn Eagle!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Here's the problem...and I'm speculating this was the case here. There are two things officers, and/or their agencies do. Officers often are trained to believe that courts "sort things out". That could have been the case here.

The other is departmental policies that say probable cause = automatic arrest. I'm betting this is the more likely scenario.

In either event, it's passing the buck, and it's passing it to an entity that is NOT charged with investigating, and "sorting things out"...the DA is charged with prosecuting crimes, and the courts with maintaining procedural safeguards. Cases brought to him should have been "sorted out" by the investigating officer(s). That's what an investigation does, sorts out facts, and circumstances.

We don't know if an investigator or a patrol supervisor wasn't involved. The decision may of been made and the arresting officer, was just the one who placed him under arrest. When i worked in patrol, i've been to many crime scenes where I was told to place the suspect under arrest and transport and book the suspect. My name was on the booking card and Mittimus as the arresting officer, yet I wasn't the one who made the decision to place the suspect under arrest. You know this happens and have seen it yourself.

I've speculated it both ways. Yes it happens. It shouldn't have here. I've also seen a patrol officer tell a supervisor, "If you want him arrested, then you do it".

War Damn Eagle!

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by luv2safari
Originally Posted by Longbeardking
Ya know. In reading some of the posts where a few put the officers involved down for making the decision to arrest didn't sit very well with me. It's really easy to be a back seat driver, or an arm chair quaterback, or any other term you want to apply. One mentioned, "what happened to officer discretion"? We have all the time in the world to sift through things after the fact, but a cop has to make his decision right then and there for the most part. I made arrests maybe that I shouldn't have made. But based on the situation at hand, I made my decision. If the cause was found, the arrest stood. If the evidence didn't support me, as in this case, the charges were dropped. Everyone involved with this did the job they were hired to do. What more can you ask of anyone?

I think we could have and must ask for common sense to prevail. The arresting officer "jumped his gun" in being so quick to arrest the victim. Had he used better judgement, the victim would have never gone through what was foisted upon him, and he would not have an arrest record to contend with.

On the outside, looking in...it appears that LEO takes no interest in the long term ramifications of these quick arrests and the harm they might cause an innocent person who plays by the rules all his life and causes no harm, ever.

This isn't a condemnation of LEO painted with a broad brush, but...dammit...LEO works for us who abide by the law, and they need to remember that sometimes, while doing the most difficult job imaginable...to protect us all.

Not picking, but you have no experience in this area, do you?? How many crime scenes involving shootings, use of deadly force, etc. have you been to?? I can guarantee, that this wasn't some, "shake & bake" hurry up make an arrest situation.

Probably far more than you. But, that is ancient history.

Simply put...so you might understand...LEO are our servants. When they cause harm to basically innocent citizens by rash or too quick decisions where there is no immanent danger to anyone, they have harmed their employer for no rational reason.

The officer could well have done his report and let the DA review it for possible further action. If the policy is to arrest always, as is the case sometimes with various agencies, those agencies are out of whack and need some Real Life training in what harm they do inadvertently.

You great guys in LEO have a most difficult job, and too often politics and PC get into the mix, making it that much more difficult.

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

I've speculated it both ways. Yes it happens. It shouldn't have here. I've also seen a patrol officer tell a supervisor, "If you want him arrested, then you do it".

Do you have criminal investigators within your DA's office?? The majority of Judicial Districts in this state do. It's paid out of the DA's budget. They can do follow up work on cases for the DA or they can strike out in areas that the DA wants to look at.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Do you have criminal investigators within your DA's office?? The majority of Judicial Districts in this state do. It's paid out of the DA's budget. They can do follow up work on cases for the DA or they can strike out in areas that the DA wants to look at.

I've seen that abused first hand. A DA with that kind of power and support can be a dangerous thing to the public.

Turdlike, by default.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

I've seen that abused first hand. A DA with that kind of power and support can be a dangerous thing to the public.

He or she is an elected official, in this state for eight years. If the citizens don't like the results, they don't have to be reelected, voters choice.

DA's in this state have a lot of pull, if they don't have their own investigators, they can use TBI, that's why TBI has an investigator in every county or assigned to every county. If the DA wants to look into something, he just has to show reason to the TBI, if he wants to go around local LE.

If you poll the majority of people on the street about crime and LE's response. What they'll tell you is to stick it to every criminal who walks the street, that is aslong as it isn't them or their family. smile

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

He or she is an elected official, in this state for eight years. If the citizens don't like the results, they don't have to be reelected, voters choice.

If you poll the majority of people on the street about crime and LE's response. What they'll tell you is to stick it to every criminal who walks the street, that is aslong as it isn't them or their family. smile

Popularity and abuse aren't always mutually exclusive....

Turdlike, by default.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Popularity and abuse aren't always mutually exclusive....

You can't step on too many toes and still be reelected. They walk a fine line.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

DA's in this state have a lot of pull, if they don't have their own investigators, they can use TBI, that's why TBI has an investigator in every county or assigned to every county. If the DA wants to look into something, he just has to show reason to the TBI, if he wants to go around local LE.

Do they have term limits?

All I'm saying is that I know first hand of how a system like that has been abused.

I also know better than to go into details online. I'll be happy to share with you via PM though how such a system was horrifically abused.

I understand that it's important for a DA to have the ability to conduct investigations. It's a needed evil in our system. Just keep in mind though, that absolute power, corrupts absolutely. That kind of power needs to have a check. Term limits are a place to start....

Turdlike, by default.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I will also freely admit that my story is the exception, and not the norm for DA's and LEO's.

They all have a real tough job to do. One that I wouldn't relish myself. I'm glad they are there, and that they do the work that they do. They are far more of an assest to our society than they are a liability.

I know better than to take my personal issues, and apply them to all LEO's or even DA's with a broad paintbrush. Every one of them are individuals.

Turdlike, by default.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Do they have term limits?

All I'm saying is that I know first hand of how a system like that has been abused.

I also know better than to go into details online. I'll be happy to share with you via PM though how such a system was horrifically abused.

I understand that it's important for a DA to have the ability to conduct investigations. It's a needed evil in our system. Just keep in mind though, that absolute power, corrupts absolutely. That kind of power needs to have a check. Term limits are a place to start....

No term limits. Just have to run for reelection every eight years. A lot of people don't worry about local elections. They only worry about state & natl. elections. They vote by name recognition in local elections or someone being a friend of a friend thing.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Just glad justice was served and all came out to the good. Sometimes it just take a bit.

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

Page 17 of 18 1 2 15 16 17 18

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

163 members (257robertsimp, 160user, 2500HD, 2UP, 405winash, 10Glocks, 18 invisible), 1,777 guests, and 958 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,495
Posts18,472,130
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.