Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Jeff_O,

Ringman, when you say "one more power", how is it that you are measuring one more power?

The same way you "measure one more power" when you look through a 7X binocular and an 8X binocular. It's what the manufacturer says it is.

I called Bushnell and Swarovski to asked how accurate the numbers on their scopes are. Both said they were right on.

When I compared the first z5 with the third 6500 I could see the lines on my chart at 202 yards with the 6500 on 4 1/2X. The z5 on 5X showed a grey retangle. I had to turn up the z5 to 5 1/2X to see the lines. This was the case no matter how I tried to adjust them. I wanted the z5 to be better because it is lighter. When I compared both with the two 4200'zs the 4200's matched the z5 on the power setting. But both the 4200"s are heavier than the z5 by about an ounce and stop at 16X.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Ringman
Why don't you try the z6 against the bush ell and trashco?

Too heavy.

More Bovine Excrement.

A Swaro Z6 3-18x50 and a Bushnell 2.5-16x50 BOTH weigh 21oz.

The Z6 is a superior scope that costs quite a bit more. The Bushnell is a good scope that costs quite a bit less. Both have completely valid places in the market. Just don't try and kid yourself that the Bushnell is a better scope in any way other than price.

FWIW I shot a decent little 0.384" 5 shot group at 100yds today using a Bushnell Elite 6500. It's a good scope that I'd trade for a comparable Z6 in a millisecond. Both have their place but there is no doubt which is the better scope.....................dj

Remember this is all supposed to be for fun.......................
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
thanx for the replies

i closed the deal today on a new swaro with nightforce ultralight rings

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Johnny, make sure u don't take it to ringmans house and look out the porch you may be upset for spending that extra money!!!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
More Bovine Excrement.

The Z6 is a superior scope that costs quite a bit more. The Bushnell is a good scope that costs quite a bit less. Both have completely valid places in the market. Just don't try and kid yourself that the Bushnell is a better scope in any way other than price.

FWIW I shot a decent little 0.384" 5 shot group at 100yds today using a Bushnell Elite 6500. It's a good scope that I'd trade for a comparable Z6 in a millisecond. Both have their place but there is no doubt which is the better scope.....................dj

You and I are thinking about two different applications when I posted "too heavy". I was thinking about my ultralight rifle. I looked at the weight of the comparable magnification scope and it is not even close to the z5 5-25X52.

Now that you know what I was addressing maybe you can see that we were thinking about differnt aplications.

As far as looking from the porch, if the scope is better than what has been considered I would post it. If it is not we are not bound by brand loyalty or the price one pays for his toys. Everyone takes as long as he wishes until he thinks he has it adjusted as good as his eye can see it. That's the fun of it. Let the chips fall where they will.

Everyday Hunter
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
More Bovine Excrement.

Just as little error correction here.

At the Swarovski site they claim a weight for the z6 3 1/2-18X of 22.4 ounces. The 6500 2 1/2-16X claims a weight of 17.3 ounces. When one is trying to build the lightest posible rifle with the most magnification he does not want to add more than five ounces when it is not even the magnifcation he wants. The Swarovski site claims a weight for the z5 5-25X of 18 ounces. That's lots more magnification with less weight for the same brand. Neither of the low magnifcation scopes were candidates for my ultralight rifle.

At the Swarovski site they claim a weight for the z6 5-30X of 22.6 ounces. The 6500 4 1/2-30X claims a weight of 21 ounces.
Neither are candidates for my ultralight rifle.

Everyday Hunter
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Jeff_O,

Ringman, when you say "one more power", how is it that you are measuring one more power?

The same way you "measure one more power" when you look through a 7X binocular and an 8X binocular. It's what the manufacturer says it is.

I called Bushnell and Swarovski to asked how accurate the numbers on their scopes are. Both said they were right on.

When I compared the first z5 with the third 6500 I could see the lines on my chart at 202 yards with the 6500 on 4 1/2X. The z5 on 5X showed a grey retangle. I had to turn up the z5 to 5 1/2X to see the lines. This was the case no matter how I tried to adjust them. I wanted the z5 to be better because it is lighter. When I compared both with the two 4200'zs the 4200's matched the z5 on the power setting. But both the 4200"s are heavier than the z5 by about an ounce and stop at 16X.

Ok.

I've just seen really obvious differences between scopes that were set to nominally the same number on the power ring. Granted they weren't a Bushnell and Swarovski.

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Jeff_O,

I've just seen really obvious differences between scopes that were set to nominally the same number on the power ring. Granted they weren't a Bushnell and Swarovski.

Don't leave us in suspence!

What was your test? What scopes did you compare?

Everyday Hunter
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Well, my Leup's and Conquests are rather dramatically different at the "same" power setting on the ring, for example.

I'm just a little skeptical of the notion of one scope needing 1X more than another to perform the same... I don't think power rings are that reliable, that calibrated, especially comparing different brands of scopes.

I'll compare my Swaro/Leup/Conquests sometime specifically for this. I know Leup is different- my 2.5-8's have consistently needed to close to a nominal 6x to give the same apparent image magnification as say a 3-9 Conquest set to 4x nominal.

I look at the markings on a power ring as a general thing; something that has relevance for that scope but not much more.

I could be wrong of course. Wouldn't be the first time. smile

Last edited by Jeff_O; 02/26/12.

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
More Bovine Excrement.

Just as little error correction here.

At the Swarovski site they claim a weight for the z6 3 1/2-18X of 22.4 ounces. The 6500 2 1/2-16X claims a weight of 17.3 ounces.

The figures I got from SWFA might or might not be totally accurate, but when one is making such comparisons most people are smart enough to compare scopes with the same size objectives...................dj

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The figures I got from SWFA might or might not be totally accurate, but when one is making such comparisons most people are smart enough to compare scopes with the same size objectives...................dj

Who determines what's "smart"? If someone agrees with you are they being "smart"?

What does "smart" have to do with comparing optics? Even an ignorant person can prefer something more than something else no matter what the objetive is.

Everyday Hunter
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Jeff_O,

I am going by what the customer service for each company told me. It is reassuring to see both my 4200's settings match each other. And they both match the Swarovski up to 16X.

Everyday Hunter
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Who determines what's "smart"? If someone agrees with you are they being "smart"?

What does "smart" have to do with comparing optics? Even an ignorant person can prefer something more than something else no matter what the objetive is.

The scope you were showing as having a lighter weight has a smaller objective..........dj

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The scope you were showing as having a lighter weight has a smaller objective..........dj

O.K.

Everyday Hunter
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
angv350

actually i spent 500 bucks less than my last scope, a nightforce

maybe i'll look thru both scopes out my porch and try to decide which one has better glass

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
johnnyappleseed,

When I looked through my Nightforce and Bushnell 6500 at leaves, twigs and bark I thought they were the same. But when I compared them with my line chart at 500 yards the Nightforce needed 12X while the Bushnell needed 15 1/2X to see the same detail.

I mention this so you will be encouraged to use something with minute detail.

Everyday Hunter
V
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
V
Ill buy those swaros off you for $.50 on the dollar since theyre not that good.
Heck I'll even buy the Bushnells you want and trade straight up.
New bushnell for used inferior swaro.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Mull
I've Got Several 3-10 and 4-12's.But On a Varmint Rig,I'D Look Hard At The Z5 In 3.5-18.

Probably a good idea. The one I got for hunting had too fine a duplex, but that duplex should be perfect for varmint hunting. Mine has a custom turret for my .300 Win Mag load. I sent the Z5 back to Swaro with $125 for reticle swap to a 4a, which I like much better for all around hunting use, including wooded areas. The Z5 has great glass and isn't that heavy.

DF

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
venado_hunter,

You're too late. I returned the first Swarovski for a refund. The second I sold for almost no loss and the third I sold for exactly what I paid for it. The 5-25X52 is waiting for the Weatherby to get back from the stock company.

Which Bushnell is it I'm wanting? I forgot.

Everyday Hunter
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I am getting a 6.5-18x50 with a TDS reticle sent to me. Found a used one at a very fair price. I am looking forward to my first Swarovski. I have a Zeiss Victory that is stellar in every way. The rest of my scopes are leupold.

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

580 members (12344mag, 1lessdog, 1234, 17CalFan, 160user, 10Glocks, 60 invisible), 2,372 guests, and 1,161 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,518
Posts18,490,962
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.