Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Very interesting video. Seems that the simple solution is going to be fought tooth and nail by a team consisting of government bureaucrats (on the take) and large corporations.

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
And public perception.

I remember a few years ago being appalled when a regular here stated that he'd never believe there was a problem with salmon stocks, when he could buy it in the grocery store. IE, farmed = wild; salmon on the shelves = healthy species.

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have a confession to make. After years of buying and eating grocery store salmon, a guy I know on Vancouver Island Fed Exed us a huge box of fresh, wild salmon, and we didn't like them as much.

Now, being from New Orleans, I don't like store bought shrimp, oysters, crawfish, etc.

In the big scheme of things though, and to tie it into the title of the thread, Medicare won't be fixing my knees, hips, heart, etc., like it did for my parents, so I'll take my chances with farm raised fish.

"Don't believe everything you see on the Internet" - Abraham Lincoln
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Salmon doesn't have to be far "off", to be kind of yucky.

I hear you on Medicare. You must be about my age (40's)?

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Dutch
No bias in that article, nooooooo, none at all.

75% of all fish consumed in the world is farm raised. Telling people they should eat wild fish is a childish argument: there's isn't enough to go around. And given the price of much of the wild stuff, it's financially out of reach of a large portion of the population.

So, the proper question is: how does farmed fish compare to the alternative: Chicken, pork, beef?

When you compare the nutritional profile of fish to other protein sources, fish, whatever kind, does pretty darn well.

I mean, really, feeding a child a tilapia fillet or a McDonalds hamburger? What do you think is going to be better?

I'll just keep feeding the fish -- people sure like eating them....

There's a hell of a lot more wild fish that are caught, stripped of eggs and left to rot on the beach by our local indians. Even a wild Chum or pink (saltwater caught) is a hell of a lot better table fare for city folks than the farm raised chit. Not to mention how much of OUR wild caught fish is exported to Asia for high $$$$ restuarants for the fat and rich...

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by boilerpig1
Not only fish, but also our meats and vegtables. Monsanto, Dow and host of other companies have been poisoning people with their GMO's for years. Most people have no idea how far their reach is, nor do they care.

BP...
I've never heard a legitimate, scientific argument against GMO's, just scare tactics.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by fish head
The distribution network from Alaska to here sucks. I can buy farm raised atlantic salmon from Chile that actually is fresh. It's probably no more than three days old when it arrives at the store. I assume it's flown direct into Denver within a day after being processed and then trucked here ... three days max and iced the entire time.

Alaskan seafood ??? ... from the boats, to the dock processors, to Seattle wholesalers, through a distribution network and then flown or trucked to Denver ... five days plus.

I don't know the exact ins and outs of the distribution networks but I do know how old it is when gets here. Those extra days in transit makes all the difference in the world.

The "fresh" Alaska seafood they sell in the stores here borders on wanton waste. It's that bad. mad

You ought to see one example of how Pacific seafood gets to the SE mainly trucked in. There's a company in Chatt. TN. that runs teams hauling carpet rolls out to Kent, WA. from the carpet mills in GA. just S. of Chatt. This Co. uses reefers to haul the carpet out to WA. state with the reefer off. They back haul fish or fruit with the reefer on to the SE.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by hunter1960
Originally Posted by fish head
The distribution network from Alaska to here sucks. I can buy farm raised atlantic salmon from Chile that actually is fresh. It's probably no more than three days old when it arrives at the store. I assume it's flown direct into Denver within a day after being processed and then trucked here ... three days max and iced the entire time.

Alaskan seafood ??? ... from the boats, to the dock processors, to Seattle wholesalers, through a distribution network and then flown or trucked to Denver ... five days plus.

I don't know the exact ins and outs of the distribution networks but I do know how old it is when gets here. Those extra days in transit makes all the difference in the world.

The "fresh" Alaska seafood they sell in the stores here borders on wanton waste. It's that bad. mad

You ought to see one example of how Pacific seafood gets to the SE mainly trucked in. There's a company in Chatt. TN. that runs teams hauling carpet rolls out to Kent, WA. from the carpet mills in GA. just S. of Chatt. This Co. uses reefers to haul the carpet out to WA. state with the reefer off. They back haul fish or fruit with the reefer on to the SE.
Everything you buy is hauled that way. Truckers must have backhaul to survive. I couldn't care less what else is hauled in a truck as long as it's clean. That's for frozen stuff, of course. Fresh is another matter. If it doesn't take wings, it won't be fresh when it gets there. However, if you want it fresh, be prepared to pay for it. Transportation costs more than the product with $4++ fuel.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Rush has explained the marketing of the very best fresh produce to the major population centers. He explains that only the largest cities (ie. NYC, Chicago, LA, etc) get the very freshest and best produce, beef, and fresh fish because of economy of scale. Because there are so many consumers of the very best food that America has to offer in these population centers, it makes economic sense to over-night the food (ie. wild caught salmon from Alaska to NYC) because you can ship such large quantities at once, and be guaranteed to sell it the next day at the highest prices, thus maximizing profit. Not so with smaller population areas were the market share is miniscule in comparison. Here we must settle for frozen fish; lesser quality fruit; USDA select or maybe choice, but rarely prime. According to Rush it is all about economy of scale in the over-night market.

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Originally Posted by hunter1960
[quote=fish head]The distribution network from Alaska to here sucks. I can buy farm raised atlantic salmon from Chile that actually is fresh. It's probably no more than three days old when it arrives at the store. I assume it's flown direct into Denver within a day after being processed and then trucked here ... three days max and iced the entire time.

Everything you buy is hauled that way. Truckers must have backhaul to survive. I couldn't care less what else is hauled in a truck as long as it's clean. That's for frozen stuff, of course. Fresh is another matter. If it doesn't take wings, it won't be fresh when it gets there. However, if you want it fresh, be prepared to pay for it. Transportation costs more than the product with $4++ fuel. [/quot

I realize that backhauls are neccessary, it's just a good market on both runs since the majority of carpet mills are in the SE and the SE has a market for PNW seafood & fruit.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Seems to be that's how it works. If you go to a higher end supermarket like Lunds or Byerlys in the TC area the fish is flown in fresh daily. The price reflects that too. Salmon is usually about $15.00 a pound. Halibut is more like $29.00 a pound. eek

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
An overweight diabetic is a nutrition expert!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I forgot to add that at these aforementioned grocery stores they specify farm raised or wild caught. The prices I quoted were 'wild caught'. The 'farm raised' fish is usually cheaper by a few dollars per pound. I stay away from the farm raised fish.

E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by BeanMan
An overweight diabetic is a nutrition expert!
If your mom ever said you were nice, she may have been a liar.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Here's a quote from the article posted to start this,

"Later, they are given antibiotics or pesticides to ward off infection".

So which is it? Pesticides or antibiotics? Or is the author a bit confused about which does what.

Maybe we can get Rush to expound on this!

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
As for me I will no longer eat farm raised fresh tune.
If it don't come out of a can it must be bad for you.
How about them turd wrasslers,you know the young blue catfish.
They are just re-cycling.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Obviously the original reporter is biased and not up to speed on the science... But the facts are there that show a large chunk of danger ahead for wild salmon because of the farms.

The Fraser River sockeye explanation in the video link has been published by Alex Morton in peer-reviewed science journals in very non-Chicken Little fashion and her studies are coming out to be correct...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My dad (85 yrs old) commercial fishes (mostly catfish and buffalo) in north central Louisiana in the Ouachita River.

He sells his fish for more than the pond raised fish and sells out every week. Most weeks he has a hard time filling all the orders. The fish just taste different and the public will pay for the better tasting.

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I agree with you, wild fish, especially anadromous fish, are in for hard(er) times.

Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Obviously the original reporter is biased and not up to speed on the science... But the facts are there that show a large chunk of danger ahead for wild salmon because of the farms.

The Fraser River sockeye explanation in the video link has been published by Alex Morton in peer-reviewed science journals in very non-Chicken Little fashion and her studies are coming out to be correct...

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by BeanMan
Here's a quote from the article posted to start this,

"Later, they are given antibiotics or pesticides to ward off infection".

So which is it? Pesticides or antibiotics? Or is the author a bit confused about which does what.

Maybe we can get Rush to expound on this!
Depends on the sort of infection. If it's a parasite infection, pesticides would be used. Bacterial infections are treated with antibiotics.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

636 members (160user, 10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 1badf350, 10ring1, 007FJ, 72 invisible), 2,633 guests, and 1,372 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,093
Posts18,483,005
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.