Print Thread
Hop To
Page 10 of 19 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 18 19
L
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
L
I'm elk hunting for the first time this year and nothing smaller than a 260 will go with me. More than likely it'll be my 350 Rem Mag.

And the latter would be a great choice.

Jayco

GB1

L
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
L
How about the .243 for Grizz?Phil Shoemaker thinks it would work with quality bullets.

All the years I guided both sheep and grizzly hunters in the =hugach, Talkeetna and Brooks ranges I never ran across a grizzly that I would have been hesitant to shoot with a .243 Win. with quality bullets. I'm not saying it is what I would choose or recommend but have no doubt I would have been 100% safe from any grizzly in open country.

Then the lowly .223 should kill Elk just dandy,they don't bite back.

Jayco

E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
I can see the cattle rancher, waiting on top of his haystack for the elk to come into feed and then popping one in the head while they mill around below making a valid scenario.
I suspect that the majority of guys on here havent used a .223 on elk or even plan to do so, but are just making the point that it is legal in some areas and it will kill elk.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Like I said, there's more than a few of us around here, that if the requiremnet presented itself, we'd figure out how to get it done.

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
I like the idea of having to harvest a grizzly with your .243, before you can take an elk with a .223 !!
Keep 'em coming logcutter ! (smile) You must be even more bored then I !!!

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'd have no worries about taking a griz with a 243 on decent terms.

They're not that wide, and plenty of them have been taken with a bow. Stick a decent bullet in behind the front shoulder and it'll run a short bit and topple over.

Once again this stuff is rocket science only if one chooses to make it such.

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
If you can't kill an elk with a .223 there is somthing wrong with you, not the cartridge... Just sayin... whistle

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ingwe
Your welcome...

His welcome what?

E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
Understand...and if your cartridge of choice would be the .223, then there would be something wrong with you..Just sayin (smiley face also !)

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by elkivory
Understand...and if your cartridge of choice would be the .223, then there would be something wrong with you..Just sayin (smiley face also !)

grin. I use a 338 win mag... whistle

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
IC B3

E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
my rifle of choice for years was a .340 using a bipod...the third time it opened me up from a prone position, I decided it "was to heavy" ! (smile) settle for the wimpy .300's and 7mm's now !

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by toltecgriz
Originally Posted by addicted

Case in point, humans aren't as tough as big game animals when shot. The 5.56 has been used in the military since Vietnam, BUT ask most combat vets if they wish they had more killing power, frontal area, etc. and the answer would be a resounding YES. Think about it... the 6.8 SPC was designed from the ground up to compete with and beat ballistically the 7.62x39 cartridge because of the lack of knockdown power the 5.56 had.

They are using the wrong bullets.

Well actually they are now starting to use the right bullets.

When "Brown Tip" is said that means 70gr X bullets.

When MK318 or SOST is said that means the Trophy Bonded Bear Claw without the bonding.

When MK262 is said that means the Sierra Match King 77gr HPBT.

The US Military most likely has more experienced gun fighters serving now than at any time in history and the overwhelming satisfaction with the 5.56/.223 as a fighting round in the units that have the most gun fighting experience is well known.

When UBL got his door kicked down the fellows that kicked the door and subsequently gave him one to the chest and one to the head had a lot of latitude in selecting the cartridge they were going to use and the 5.56/.223 was the choice. The resulting case of "canoe head" was the cause of much controversy and was the excuse used to not show the world pictures of his dead body.

Originally Posted by wilkeshunter
The .223 has a lot of momentum around here. It seems to be against the rules to comdemn the use of it regardless of what you are hunting. If you want to stay flame free just applaud the use of the .223 on anything out there. White Rhino at 600 yards? No problem! Go use a .223 on something with a Barnes solid and you will be part of the club.

I guess I missed the part where anybody in the entire thread recommended the .223 as a great elk cartridge. Seems I read a lot of �limited range�, �stay off the shoulder�, �place it in the armpit�, and also a lot of comparison to muzzle loaders and �stuff used in days gone by�.

No one here has ever said the .223 was a good choice for a general elk hunt but most of the experienced elk hunters have said it would not be a daunting task to go fill an elk tag with a .223 and a proper bullet. Nobody has said it would be their first choice except as a way to add some challenge to a hunt in the same way a muzzle loader or archery equipment adds challenge.

Originally Posted by Mauser_Hunter
I'd like to ask a serious question. Not trolling. Just curious.

Why use a .223 on big game?

Why use a bow? Why use a muzzle loaded? Why use a revolver?

I think Logcutter got himself a new black gun and it has all these crazy ideas swirling in his noggin.

I must admit I almost got a cow tag in NM this year to go get one with a 16 inch AR. I may have to make it happen this year.

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by JohnBurns
Originally Posted by toltecgriz
Originally Posted by addicted

Case in point, humans aren't as tough as big game animals when shot. The 5.56 has been used in the military since Vietnam, BUT ask most combat vets if they wish they had more killing power, frontal area, etc. and the answer would be a resounding YES. Think about it... the 6.8 SPC was designed from the ground up to compete with and beat ballistically the 7.62x39 cartridge because of the lack of knockdown power the 5.56 had.

They are using the wrong bullets.

Well actually they are now starting to use the right bullets.

When "Brown Tip" is said that means 70gr X bullets.

When MK318 or SOST is said that means the Trophy Bonded Bear Claw without the bonding.

When MK262 is said that means the Sierra Match King 77gr HPBT.

The US Military most likely has more experienced gun fighters serving now than at any time in history and the overwhelming satisfaction with the 5.56/.223 as a fighting round in the units that have the most gun fighting experience is well known.

When UBL got his door kicked down the fellows that kicked the door and subsequently gave him one to the chest and one to the head had a lot of latitude in selecting the cartridge they were going to use and the 5.56/.223 was the choice. The resulting case of "canoe head" was the cause of much controversy and was the excuse used to not show the world pictures of his dead body.

Originally Posted by wilkeshunter
The .223 has a lot of momentum around here. It seems to be against the rules to comdemn the use of it regardless of what you are hunting. If you want to stay flame free just applaud the use of the .223 on anything out there. White Rhino at 600 yards? No problem! Go use a .223 on something with a Barnes solid and you will be part of the club.

I guess I missed the part where anybody in the entire thread recommended the .223 as a great elk cartridge. Seems I read a lot of �limited range�, �stay off the shoulder�, �place it in the armpit�, and also a lot of comparison to muzzle loaders and �stuff used in days gone by�.

No one here has ever said the .223 was a good choice for a general elk hunt but most of the experienced elk hunters have said it would not be a daunting task to go fill an elk tag with a .223 and a proper bullet. Nobody has said it would be their first choice except as a way to add some challenge to a hunt in the same way a muzzle loader or archery equipment adds challenge.

Originally Posted by Mauser_Hunter
I'd like to ask a serious question. Not trolling. Just curious.

Why use a .223 on big game?

Why use a bow? Why use a muzzle loaded? Why use a revolver?

I think Logcutter got himself a new black gun and it has all these crazy ideas swirling in his noggin.

I must admit I almost got a cow tag in NM this year to go get one with a 16 inch AR. I may have to make it happen this year.

Make it happen John. I'd like to see the video of you using it with a 30 round mag, tracers, and fmj's.....Sounds great grin

BSA MAGA
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I was more thinking 75gr SSII, a ten round mag and 1 or 2 shots. grin

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
[Linked Image]

BSA MAGA
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
John Nosler said once that a 225 winchester, while capable of taking a deer, was not the right choice. It's great stuff, can you kill with the 22 cal, sure, but I believe it is a question of ethics. We owe it to the animal to insure an ethical kill. Also, while one may be able to do it, Fifty others cant. Common sense tells you not to, at least it does for me. As for a lion with the 22 rimfire, with five dogs surrounding the tree, great, but if you are the lone ranger doing the shooting with no backup, I sure want something bigger than a 22 rimfire for lions. Finally, I strongly suspect the ones who do use 22 cal for big game have all lost game before, they just wont tell you about it.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
You could use a spoon to dig a grave but a back hoe works better.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by AggieDog
John Nosler said once that a 225 winchester, while capable of taking a deer, was not the right choice. It's great stuff, can you kill with the 22 cal, sure, but I believe it is a question of ethics. We owe it to the animal to insure an ethical kill. Also, while one may be able to do it, Fifty others cant. Common sense tells you not to, at least it does for me. As for a lion with the 22 rimfire, with five dogs surrounding the tree, great, but if you are the lone ranger doing the shooting with no backup, I sure want something bigger than a 22 rimfire for lions. Finally, I strongly suspect the ones who do use 22 cal for big game have all lost game before, they just wont tell you about it.

I've lost game with a .30-06..

What was your point again?

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I've never lost a critter with a 223AI. Not saying I'd use it for elk, just saying.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by AggieDog
John Nosler said once that a 225 winchester, while capable of taking a deer, was not the right choice....

Was that before, or after, Nosler introduced the 60gr Partition?

Page 10 of 19 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 18 19

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

576 members (160user, 10gaugeman, 1lessdog, 1minute, 10gaugemag, 1badf350, 55 invisible), 2,555 guests, and 1,312 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,475
Posts18,471,521
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.