Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
byc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by michiganroadkill
OK, so its a SSJSK.
So the second and third bevel angles and grit worked out fine??
Hold an edge well against the cutting board??
Why didn't I make a second one????
Tim

I'll take it! PM sent! smile

Got my new GL Drew camper and Miller paring knives from Vince today so I have my next search on.

Proud to be a true Sandlapper!!

Go Nats!!!!

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by EricM
Thanks, Tim.
I find the ulu to be a supremely useful blade.
I used one this morning to cut up toast squares for my 2 yr old, in fact. lol. smile
I like what you did with the Japanese knife here.

Cheers,
Eric

I made myself an ulu this past week, more as an experiment than anything else. Definately a trial piece as I used an old 8 in circular saw blade that was square toothed to cut roofing iron. Not a tipped blade and think it must be a tool steel of some sort, and has taken a decent edge in the convex manner.
Made it expressely to finely chop the herbs I put into my potted meat and couldnt get over how versatile it is. Might not be the prettiest knife I have made but it sure is practical in the kitchen. My wife has used it confidently as well and because it is from an 8 inch circular blade has 9 in round the curve. By holding the handle at one end the far end of the blade can be used almost like a conventional knife.

Von Gruff.

Last edited by VonGruff; 03/01/12.

Von Gruff.

Exodus 20:1-17

Acts 4:10-12

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Well, looks like I will be making a couple more of "Sams Small Japanese Style Knife", but my bocote is gone.
Still not in the mode for the ulu yet.
Thanks guys
Tim

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
Albert Einstein

At Khe Sanh a sign read "For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected never knew".
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
That sure is a beautiful knife!

I'd rather have a bad day hunting than a good day working!
byc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I'm getting one! Woooo Hoooo!!

Proud to be a true Sandlapper!!

Go Nats!!!!

IC B2

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
byc
pm sent
Tim

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
Albert Einstein

At Khe Sanh a sign read "For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected never knew".
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by VonGruff
Originally Posted by EricM
Thanks, Tim.
I find the ulu to be a supremely useful blade.
I used one this morning to cut up toast squares for my 2 yr old, in fact. lol. smile
I like what you did with the Japanese knife here.

Cheers,
Eric

I made myself an ulu this past week, more as an experiment than anything else. Definately a trial piece as I used an old 8 in circular saw blade that was square toothed to cut roofing iron. Not a tipped blade and think it must be a tool steel of some sort, and has taken a decent edge in the convex manner.
Made it expressely to finely chop the herbs I put into my potted meat and couldnt get over how versatile it is. Might not be the prettiest knife I have made but it sure is practical in the kitchen. My wife has used it confidently as well and because it is from an 8 inch circular blade has 9 in round the curve. By holding the handle at one end the far end of the blade can be used almost like a conventional knife.

Von Gruff.

Von Gruff - You should post a few pics of it as a separate thread. I'd love to see it!

Eric

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
+1 on the pictures.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Well executed!

You can no more tell someone how to do something you've never done, than you can come back from somewhere you've never been...
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Sam. Thanks for the unique opportunity, pics and kind words. Three more have been spoken for. I will be using ironwood for the handles. I also will make one for me this time.
Don't think there will be more. At least not this year.
Who knows, maybe even take a whack at some ulus in the future, but I doubt it. Would be a super pain to cut out of a sheet of steel.
Thanks for the business and comments guys.
Tim

Albert Einstein

IC B3

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

370 members (10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 1Longbow, 1OntarioJim, 10ring1, 19rabbit52, 46 invisible), 3,262 guests, and 1,125 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,639
Posts18,533,591
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.