Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by RDFinn

You mean this product from the Eremicus Design Group....

[Linked Image]

That's obscene. grin Yep, that be it. One size fits all <GRIN> This fellow had one with a slanted eye cup. Kinda offset to allow extra comfort.

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

GB1

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
"Would you stop LOL if you realize "some people" have the different scopes they talk about?" No.

R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Actually, an argument can be made that a larger FOV does make the image appear brighter--mostly because a larger FOV almost always means less eye relief. Hence there's less interference from outside light between the scope and the shooter's eye.

But like a lot of optics arguments (especially on the Campfire) it ain't worth arguing about.

I just sold a Sightron I had due to light interference. That scope had alot of eye relief. It was a nice scope but I started wearing glasses and was getting like a reflection of my glasses I guess.
I like a scope with a large field of view so the Meopta may get the nod for me,unless I find a deal on a conquest. I'm sure there isn't much difference between the two.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by mathman
Anybody who claims the optics of Meopta scopes are vastly superior to all Leupolds is FOS. I've tested Meoptas, Conquests and various Leupolds on my night chart, and there isn't any discernible difference between the two Euro-scopes and the better Leupolds. This wasn't always so, but it has been for quite a while now.

I've tested a bunch of scopes with the chart and come to similar conclusions. Heck, I think I've found less difference between a like new Vari-X II 3-9x40 on 6x and a very fine Swarovski 6x42 than some people say they've found between a VX-3 and a Conquest/Meopta/SwaroZ3. grin

Now this comparison does make my day. I've got the Vari-X 3x9 Leupy. in that size on my Savage .17. I just shot a stray
tomcat a couple of days ago with this combo. Otherwise, it has done well for me over the years as my main scope.
I suppose "E" would be happy with that.

Last edited by Farmboy1; 02/28/12.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Unless the Meopta have changed, they are very heavy and have short eye relief. The glass is great, IMO.

I prefer Leupolds...more forgiving.

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

IC B2

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
We're discussing the newer 1" tube Meopro version. I have the 3-9x40 model and it has excellent eye relief, both in length and noncritical nature.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by RDFinn

You mean this product from the Eremicus Design Group....

[Linked Image]

Strange place to have a duck call.

The Mayans had it right. If you�re going to predict the future, it�s best to aim far beyond your life expectancy, lest you wind up red-faced in a bunker overstocked with Spam and ammo.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by mathman
We're discussing the newer 1" tube Meopro version. I have the 3-9x40 model and it has excellent eye relief, both in length and noncritical nature.

Good to know. They had a lot of room for improvement. I'll take another look. wink

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by JGRaider
I could personally care less what people use, and why they use it. More power to 'em. However, when people say "not in the same league, ballpark, can't compete, etc" it is always purely subjective, especially in the mid-level priced arena. That's why I always say IMO, to my eyes, etc because I realize this fact. But for someone to expect to see a buck and kill it through a VX3 and not a Conquest, Monarch, Elite, etc (or vice versa) is just simply not true unless the reticle disappears. It will not be due to the glass.

Spot on. Incidentally, I just purchased my second Conquest, this one a 3X9X40 as a backup scope for my 375 that currently sports an older VXIII 1.75X6X32 with a heavy duplex. I have EAW mounts so I can swap them out as need be. I spent two evenings looking at images from letters to objects as well as light transmission. I set both at 6X to make things equal and I have to tell you that to his 20:15 (old) Naval Aviator eyes, I found the older Leupold to have the edge. Standing by...jorge

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Dirtfarmer (and anybody else concerned),

Schott has over 40 glass factories all over the world, including China, and they also sell it to other companies than Zeiss. Meopta may very well be using Schott glass to make their lenses, but making glass and making lenses are two different things.

As for where the Conquest lenses are made, I was informed a few years ago by the guy who was then president of Zeiss USA (there was a change last year) that Meopta made all the lenses and tubes--except for the erector tube and its lenses, which were made by Zeiss in Germany. Somebody else posted last year that this isn't true, that he'd recently visited the Zeiss plant and seen the Conquest lenses being made there. I somehow doubt this, given the price Conquests sell for, but there it is.

Anybody who claims the optics of Meopta scopes are vastly superior to all Leupolds is FOS. I've tested Meoptas, Conquests and various Leupolds on my night chart, and there isn't any discernible difference between the two Euro-scopes and the better Leupolds. This wasn't always so, but it has been for quite a while now.

Dang-it......and this thread had all the makings of fullhouse shcitkicker......

grin
Casey

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
IC B3

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
For anyone considering the 6-18x50 Meopro, make sure it has enough adjustment range for your application. They claim only 35 MOA.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Funny thing about all this...people doubt there is a difference between a Leupold/Meopta/Zeiss, but will gladly pound their chest proclaiming the VX-3 is vastly superior to a VX-1 or VX-2. I cannot see a difference between any of the three leupolds, other than price.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Funny thing about all this ... people say they can't see a difference between a VX-I and VX-3, but zealously proclaim a vast difference between a VX-3 and a Meopro.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I've used both brands and Meopta definitely has the edge IMO.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Try some winged eyecups on your binos if you want a real surprise.

I don't know if you're being sarcastic, but those Peregrine cups seem to make a difference! I really love those binos.

Travis

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Which Meopta vs. which Leupold?

BTW, I use both brands too.

Last edited by mathman; 02/29/12.
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by dogcatcher223
Funny thing about all this...people doubt there is a difference between a Leupold/Meopta/Zeiss, but will gladly pound their chest proclaiming the VX-3 is vastly superior to a VX-1 or VX-2. I cannot see a difference between any of the three leupolds, other than price.

If you can't tell the difference between a VX-1 and VX-3, you probably shouldn't be opining on the differences between a Meopta Meopro and VX-3.

[Linked Image]

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by deflave
Try some winged eyecups on your binos if you want a real surprise.

I don't know if you're being sarcastic, but those Peregrine cups seem to make a difference! I really love those binos.

Travis

I'm not being sarcastic at all. Since I tried the removable kind a couple of years ago, the difference with and without is amazing, at least to me. Those preregrine's are very nearly almost as good as it gets IMO. Very underrated and there's none that are better built or more rugged.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by Foxbat

If you can't tell the difference between a VX-1 and VX-3, you probably shouldn't be opining on the differences between a Meopta Meopro and VX-3.

All I said was "i prefer the Meopta". I didn't make any outlandish claims like others have. And if you think there is a $200 difference between a VX-1 and a 3, then I feel sorry for you. A fool and his money are soon parted...

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by dogcatcher223
Originally Posted by Foxbat

All I said was "i prefer the Meopta". I didn't make any outlandish claims like others have. And if you think there is a $200 difference between a VX-1 and a 3, then I feel sorry for you. A fool and his money are soon parted...

You certainly inferred that there is more of a difference between a Meopta/VX-3 than a VX-1/VX-3.

That is a bit of an exaggeration.

And yes, I would pay $200 more for a VX-3 than a VX-1, but I prefer the Zeiss Conquest over the VX-3 and the Meopta is right there with both.

I frankly don't see much difference between the 3. Each has some positives with personal preference resulting from weight and other intangible differences, more so than optical quality.

[Linked Image]

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

579 members (1minute, 1234, 1badf350, 007FJ, 06hunter59, 10Glocks, 55 invisible), 2,456 guests, and 1,259 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,565
Posts18,491,815
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.