Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I sold my 100 oz bar on good Friday....45.50 smile

Jed York does not own the 49ers; Russell Wilson does.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by Spanokopitas

As I've said many times I believe in diversification, no load mutual funds, getting rich slowly,

I agree, when you chase momentum is when you get burned.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S

If I was strong in gold or silver I'd be selling now.

www.paracay.com

It's better to live rich than die rich. Live simply so that I may simply live large.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by okok
I sold my 100 oz bar on good Friday....45.50 smile

That's good... when I bought/sold silver and gold for a living I wouldn't pay spot for 100 oz bars because they're not as re-salable as smaller bars. I advise people not to buy anything larger than 10 oz bars.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by DINK
Gold down $93 and silver down almost $3. What's going on?

Dink
Bernanke was speaking before Congress today. It usually has big jumps one way or the other when he speaks before Congress. People take what he says one way or the other, and then react by buying or selling gold and silver.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Exactly, but then you have guys like my Dad that Gold could hit $3000 an ounce and he would be waiting to see $4000. crazy What goes up will come down.

"If dogs don't go to heaven, when I die I want to go wherever they went." -Will Rogers

"If you have a lot of self control you don't need a lot of government control" - Thomas Sowell
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It was a gift from my Parents about 20 years ago, I asked my Dad what he paid for it, I believe he said about 5.50 an ounce. smile

Jed York does not own the 49ers; Russell Wilson does.
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Bubbles burst.

Stock market, real estate, commodities.

There's always a bubble somewhere. smart money buys low, and sells during the bubbles.

The small investor is probably the worse at buying on fear (creating a bubble), and selling on fear (when the sector is crashing).

Something to be said for being "contrarian" in investment strategies, but that is hard for small investors to stomach. The big-time, old-money investors are way ahead of the curve.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Gold & silver will never level out at their highest prices. Those who buy at the top get hurt when they go down...and they always do. Don't buy either unless you can afford to lose your money because it's strictly speculation. They don't return any interest or dividends. You only earn, or lose, the difference in price.

Neither does cash, which, like gold and silver is MONEY. You can make interest on your gold and silver if you lend it out at interest, the same way that you can your cash.

In the current market NO Treasury paper, if you take into account inflation and after tax ROI, is giving a return. One advantage that PHYSICAL gold and silver have over any paper is lack of counterparty risk, which in this world of banks and governments routinely breaking contract law as it suits them, is a very important advantage. Think that your paper investments and government paper are safe? I give you MF Global, GM and Chrysler bonds, and Greek bonds, just to name the most recent.

Everyone on this site, and on any other site, financial or otherwise, who has called a top in the price and ongoing bull market in precious metals has been proven wrong EVERY time, and will be again. With the $hitstorm that is getting ready to break over the Greek default, the one harbor in that storm will be precious metals. It will be the "last man standing".

Keep your paper, I'll stick to real money.

If the American People allow private banks to control the issuance of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks..., will deprive the People of all their Property,...Thomas Jefferson
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Not one post in this thread is anywhere close to correct on gold and silver.

You are ALL wrong, and have been since $248 and $4.50.

And you will all still be wrong all the way to the top of the gold and silver market.

Thanks for the chuckle...

Tony

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
OOPS....I posted at the same time as Mike...he isn't wrong.

You would ALL be better served changing the way you think about gold....at this point in time, it is NOT a commodity, but is in fact a currency.

Until you realize that fact, you won't get it.

Tony

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye

Dink
Bernanke was speaking before Congress today. It usually has big jumps one way or the other when he speaks before Congress. People take what he says one way or the other, and then react by buying or selling gold and silver.

Yup.

I notice when the Eight Ball in the WH speaks markets go screwy as well. Usually DOWM!!!!

Don't vote knothead, it only encourages them. Anonymous

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups." Anonymous

"Self-reliance, free thinking, and wealth is anathema to both the power of the State and the Church." Derby Dude

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Mink

Exactly, but then you have guys like my Dad that Gold could hit $3000 an ounce and he would be waiting to see $4000. crazy What goes up will come down.
Your dad is spot on. Buy, don't sell, the dips. There's no reasonable scenario whereby gold doesn't keep going up.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by MontanaMarine
Bubbles burst.
Gold and silver aren't in a bubble. Federal Reserve Notes are in a huge bubble, however, and when that bubble bursts you won't be able to lay your hands on gold or silver for any price in Federal Reserve Notes.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Bernanke is what was going on. You can transpose the EUR/USD price quote directly on top of the AG/USD candlestick charts. Good old Ben, pumped up the economy by raising the 2011 GDP from 1.7% to 3%. He gave no key words to indicate a QE3 but didn't say NO either. The markets and banks don't like that. They like "free money" from the Fed in which they buy T bonds and are reluctant to lend. The US dollar gained 1.25 cents against the EU. A penny + doesn't seem much but when you are talking trillions, its pretty significant. So when the US dollar can show a "safe haven" status, gold and silver usually drop. Even some shut down their oil contracts and it dropped the price also. It was a great day to use as a buying opportunity. PM's were on sale which may continue as drops like this can spur "margin calls" for those holding contracts. The "sale" could continue!

Dink

Last edited by bigwhoop; 02/29/12.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
When the Fed stops increasing the money supply,...when manufacturing cranks up enough to start growing the economy,...when the budget is balanced,..then maybe it will be time to think about getting out of precious metals.

None of that is going to happen, however.

The manipulations will continue to make monetary matters ebb and flow,..but manipulations don't alter the fundamentals.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Yes. As long as Obama and the Fed continue to use Keynesian economic theory to get us out of the recession, the dollar will continue to buy less. How much less? The inflation calculator says that what a $1 bought in 1965 now buys 15 cents. Bernanke is creating dollars out of paper to spur economic growth. All it is doing is helping to build an inflation bubble in which the Fed most likely will have no clue when to turn off the spigot. "Core Inflation" is still quoted as 2%. However they DO NOT take into account food and energy costs. Why? Because they are too volatile says the CBO. A potential QE3 is still in the cards if REAL economic growth starts to look bad for Obama. There is a little event occurring on November 6, 2012.
Originally Posted by Bristoe
When the Fed stops increasing the money supply,...when manufacturing cranks up enough to start growing the economy,...when the budget is balanced,..then maybe it will be time to think about getting out of precious metals.

None of that is going to happen, however.

The manipulations will continue to make monetary matters ebb and flow,..but manipulations don't alter the fundamentals.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by Mink

Your dad is spot on. Buy, don't sell, the dips. There's no reasonable scenario whereby gold doesn't keep going up.

It's the unreasonable scenario's that bite you in the ass.

"If dogs don't go to heaven, when I die I want to go wherever they went." -Will Rogers

"If you have a lot of self control you don't need a lot of government control" - Thomas Sowell
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I see gold at 1300 by 3Q.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Even if the "price" of gold goes down, and the deflationist camp is correct, the beauty of PHYSICAL metals is that they have no counterparty risk, and are therefore incapable of default. They also tend to keep their purchasing power intact in either inflationary or deflationary conditions. A barrel of oil in 1971 was .072 oz of gold. Now, it's .065 oz of gold. That means that either gold is overvalued, or oil is undervalued. IMO, a correlation that close after 40 years is immaterial, especially when comparing the price of oil in FRN$. 1971 oil $3.60, 2012 oil $106. 1971 gold $42. 2012 gold $1700.

Which is the best numeraire, and holds it's purchasing power? Hint, it ain't the paper product that is printed at will and with no apparent limits.

If the American People allow private banks to control the issuance of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks..., will deprive the People of all their Property,...Thomas Jefferson
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

596 members (21, 007FJ, 2500HD, 160user, 1234, 1beaver_shooter, 73 invisible), 2,588 guests, and 1,332 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,090
Posts18,482,931
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.