-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
IMLE, always buy local if you can. An honest seller will let you have some time with the horse.

"Safe on the trail" is our motto as some of the trails are very narrow and you could recite a "Hail Mary" before the first bounce.

Our boys:

[Linked Image]

Jordan, registered big quarter horse on the left. Stretch, quarter horse thoroughbred cross. (his gandpappy was Secretariat)

Both are 15, no vices and have seen most everything that can spook a horse.

Most outfitters out our way use draft quarter horse crosses. Keep the "dudes" safe in the high country.

Hey NSAQAM, Larry is very "IN", LOL
You also dishonor the 28th division by using the unit patch as an insult.
As for the liar, welcher Bricktop, his day is fast approaching.
Coward trolls won't accept PMs.
How's the phantom "campfire" coming ?
GB1

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by saddlesore

Pat. That #2 shoe is a pretty big piece of iron.

Not really, most of the 16+ hand horses I see have #2 shoes. My white one runs 2s on the front and 1s on the back. My paint has 2s all around. The local farriers around here keep a good selection of 2s on their trucks for the throughbreds.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by interthem

Jordan, registered big quarter horse on the left. Stretch, quarter horse thoroughbred cross. (his gandpappy was Secretariat)

scan the papers and lemme see...

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
IMLE, always buy local if you can. An honest seller will let you have some time with the horse.

Some time.. huh?

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C

Most outfitters out our way use draft quarter horse crosses. Keep the "dudes" safe in the high country.

That is not why they run draft/quarter crosses.

IC B2

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Larry stick to stuff you know.. Ponies ain't one of them.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
It's not uncommon at all for someone to try a horse for a week and return it if they're not satisfied. In fact, it is a very common practice in my parts and has been for ever.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
yeah, Ranch Horses.. I get it. Trail horses?

Ranch hands and true ranchers have an understanding for ranch horses and trail horses. Most know how to ride and what they are looking for. A guy like Larry (for example) who want a trail horse to ride in the summer and maybe that fall for a trip or 2. That's a whole new ball game. Dudes are not ranchers or ranch hands. Those of you who know that... know that. That's as politically correct as I can be.

Too many irresponsible people. Maybe I'm soured by some of our past clients. We spend a lot of time getting things right. Soft, supple, relaxed, collected and responsive. Riding with "your feet" and "your body" not just the reins. It doesn't take long to put a hole in one. Again, those of you who "know ponies" know what I mean.

So much so that our policies are moving towards requesting if not requiring that any finished horses sold the new owner needs to spend a day if not 2 with us before taking the horse home.

Too many horses need new tune ups after a month with new owners.

I'm pretty steadfast on the new policy.

Last edited by Cocadori; 03/26/12.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Okay, I was thinking more about people like Sedona (its her thread) and not "Larry," who I assume is the person I have on "ignore."
No doubt I would not let a dude try a horse for a week. But, if a relatively inexperienced rider was interested in a horse and would take coaching, I would spend an hour with them and then let them try a horse for a day. There is no substitute for a satisfied buyer.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Now we are on the same page ;-)

IC B3

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Outfitters are using those draft crosses mostly to take care the 300 lb dudes that show up.

I don't buy/sell mules any more. Health issues have caught up with me.However,I always tried hard to match the rider and the mule.Just to sell a mule was never in the game.

Depending on the person I might have even let them take the mule for a month for atry. Others,I told them to come out to my place and ride as often as they wanted,but when the mule left my place it was thiers.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Well I guess all the real outfitters I know are just liars. 300 pound dudes ? Considering how few 300 pound men there are who are active hunters, one would hardly select quarter/draft crosses for the off chance of a 300 pound hunter.

They (the outfitters) tell me these horse are safe on the trail, tough enough being ridden every other day w/o ill effects and are superior in snow.

But what could I know .... I only live there.

I am amazed at the belief of the premier Colorado "bossman" to think that he can demand that I dig out Stretch's papers, scan them and post them here for his benefit.

Actually, they are in the safe deposit box in WY so I can't get at them until after June. Now if he wants to make it worth my while to disprove his veiled allegation that I am a liar, I would be happy to do that come Summer. Otherwise, not worth the effort as I have $10,000 coming in from Bricktop in June.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Well I guess all the real outfitters I know are just liars. 300 pound dudes ? Considering how few 300 pound men there are who are active hunters, one would hardly select quarter/draft crosses for the off chance of a 300 pound hunter.

They (the outfitters) tell me these horse are safe on the trail, tough enough being ridden every other day w/o ill effects and are superior in snow.

I am amazed at the belief of the premier Colorado "bossman" to think that he can demand that I dig out Stretch's papers, scan them and post them here for his benefit.

Actually, they are in the safe deposit box in WY so I can't get at them until after June. Now if he wants to make it worth my while to disprove his veiled allegation that I am a liar, I would be happy to do that come Summer. Otherwise, not worth the effort as I have $10,000 coming in from Bricktop in June.

Not sure why you think I'm a CO bossman.. cause I'm a MT bossman.. there "dude"...

I'm not demanding anything. I'm simply aghast at the notion someone would do what you've done. You know since flat out speed is a requirement in them thar hills.. cause the trails are so well suited for that. Soooo yeah, I'm calling you out that you'd buy a trail horse that has "Secretariat" on the papers. Never mind only "two" back. You realize what "2 oz" of secretariat was worth right?

Outfitters "you know" or outfitters that take you places cause you are paying them.. there's a whole buncha difference there.

There are so many [bleep] stupid things you've said that I hardly know where to start...

Saddlesore is [bleep] SPOT ON in his statement... 300 #'s was tongue in cheek but only you'd miss that...

Really Root? only quarter/drafts are capable of this right? Sweet Jesus I better sell all my horses for a 1/4 draft for just the snow season... WOW.. LAFFIN'

Look DUDE.. Outfitters run the larger warm-blood crosses (look it up) because in the end they happen to take LARGE dudes many mile with way too much stuff they were never told to bring. Therefore a large horse that is over-sized for the DUDE bouncing on on its kidneys (look it up) amongst other things (like their overwhelming ability to actually ride and not look like a monkey [bleep] a football (picture it)) tongue in cheek again there Larry.....will make it much easier on that particular pony that day. Therefore a warm-blood cross (review it) will last longer with more stamina after carrying some DUDE into the wilderness thinking he wants to experience all there is to the western way of hunting.

Well call me "captain obvious" as you are [bleep] SPOT ON in saying that!!!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I don't even like to let people ride my horses unless i know they're ready to buy, becuase it usually means i'll have something to fix when they're done. I encourage people to bring their trainer, bring their vet (with the understanding that if the horse isn't 100% sound I'll pay the vet, otherwise its their bill). Once a horse leaves my place I really don't want it back. IMO anything that can go wrong will if a horse is involved, and I'm not taking responsibility for someone elses mistakes.

Be Polite , Be Professional , but have a plan to kill everybody you meet
-General James Mattis United States Marine Corps

Nothing is darker than a mau mau's moo moo.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
AMEN!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Sorry I confused MT with CO....equally dumb, keep electing Democraps.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
right you are ironbender, deleted.

Last edited by RichardAustin; 03/26/12.

Be Polite , Be Professional , but have a plan to kill everybody you meet
-General James Mattis United States Marine Corps

Nothing is darker than a mau mau's moo moo.
Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Don't feed it guys. This is a polite forum.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
There is an old saying that says "You are better off to ask a cutter to borrow his wife than to ask to borrow his horse". Anyone who rides well trained horses knows what im talking about. Just sayin.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Sorry I confused MT with CO....equally dumb, keep electing Democraps.

Holy loonie bin bat man.. what does electing anyone have to do with this.

Go away Root... far away...

You've no business here nor talking anything related to equine.

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

545 members (160user, 1234, 10Glocks, 1beaver_shooter, 1Akshooter, 01Foreman400, 60 invisible), 2,438 guests, and 1,187 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,459
Posts18,489,777
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.