Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
My first horse was a draft cross - not sure what. He was big boned, big hooved and mellow. He was 26 when I got him and I returned him to the people that I got him from at 30 for their grandchildren to learn to ride on. Died last year at 35..

I sure liked his mellow laid back attitude.

GB1

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Yeah there are a lot of good ole pounders like that.

I think the oldest horse on record was a draft..56 he lived. Pulled barges for a living.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
He had two gaits. Walk and jig. but he took care of his rider.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by SedonaMare
Hey there all! Just wanted to let the horse folks around here know that I've got a saddle for sale in the "Free Classifieds" section. It's an "extra" so to speak, considering I have three and no horse. On that note, though, does anyone out there know of some good ranch horse breeders, or of a specific ranch-type horse that might be for sale in a month or two? Now that I've graduated and am gainfully employed, I have time (and funds) for my own horse.

Breed doesn't really matter to me--although I'm especially fond of foundation bred, stocky types with great bone. However, I've had plenty of fun on BLM mustangs, Appies, Arabs, and Walkers. I really just want to find something sound that can get me back to camp in the mountains. Age doesn't matter either--although I'd actually prefer a younger horse that hasn't been handled too much. I love ranch-breds who've actually had the chance to properly develop in the wide open spaces.

Here's the saddle, it's a MacPherson: [Linked Image]

I used it a lot for fun little "Wild West" shows I performed in at a local historical park. Here I am with one of my best friends, an Appendix gelding named Brooklyn. Unfortunately, the park won't sell him to me frown [Linked Image]

Is this the same saddle you have for sale on line for $500.00 ? it has the same pictures of the saddle and of you riding a horse in the ad.

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Dan_H
How about dark vs white hooves? The farrier down the road from swears it makes a difference. Haven't done enough myself to draw a conclusion yet.

Doug Butler (he literally wrote THE book on horseshoeing - The Principles of Horseshoeing (I&II)) did an extensive study of hooves, composition, strength, etc.

His conclusion is that there is no difference in strength between light and dark hooves.

He says, "A few breeds, when selecting for preferred color patterns, have apparently selected for hoofs of poor quality".

It's been my experience that if a horse has bad feet, there is a higher likelihood that the feet are light rather than dark. Which is different than 'white feet are generally weaker than dark feet'.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
IC B2

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
Had a dude fall off a perchron cross on the trail. The saddle was loose and spun right under the horses belly with the rider still attached. That horse froze and didnt move a muscle till they got the guy untangled. Hard to put a price on a horse like that.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Had a percheron we had rented to pack.First she bit me on the shoulder,then a few miles further, she bit me on the tit. Yep, could not put a price on her as she wasn't worth hardly anything to me.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
The percheron I am talking about was a bucking horse of all things. It was obvious he wasn't very good at it.

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Miss Ginger Blue, a gray Percheron/QH mare saved me from thermokarst holes in the woods in Fbks a few times. Once I figured out why she wouldn't listen to me, I trusted her more.

One of my favorite horses.

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by ironbender
Once I figured out why she wouldn't listen to me, I trusted her more

When in doubt sometimes its best to let them have their head.

IC B3

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
If she had stepped in that thermokarst, she'd have surely broken a leg and might well have injured me.

She was a big, gentle, wonderful old gray mare. She just wanted me to work with her!

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

565 members (1936M71, 160user, 1beaver_shooter, 1Longbow, 01Foreman400, 1234, 66 invisible), 2,392 guests, and 1,272 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,473
Posts18,489,910
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.