-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I totally agree with Las. Wolves are opportunists and as such, they will focus on prey which provides the best opportunity - whether it be deer, beavers, bear cubs, adult bears, moose, moose calves or whatever. Granted that some packs develop a "taste" for a particular prey specie, it still doesn't negate the fact that wolves are opportunistic hunters. The fact of the matter is that Minnesota's moose are subject to a myriad of factors which negatively influence their population. The combination of those factors are what's contributing to the long-term decline. While arresting the decline might be possible, severe wolf reduction isn't going to contribute to a miraculous recovery.

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I think if you eliminate ticks, lice, deer, brainworms, and the high wolf population...you still aren't going to see a miraculous recovery. Maybe a recovery-somewhat.

Now they have the warmer than usual winters to contend with...

Originally Posted by archie_james_c
I should have just
bought a [bleep] T3...

I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
Roundoak is right a few threads back, moose are popping up in Wisconsin more the last few years. We are real thin on the deer numbers. By chance? Maybe, but why is Wisconsin not being affected by global warming but Minnesota is? Global warming is not the reason. We have half the wolves and less snow, milder winter. Been hearing stories of better deer hunting in northern minn. than Wisconsin too. It may be deer, but then again maybe just nature taking it's course. Was a time in the 60's some say minnesota had a low of 500 moose. Nature taking it's course.

Last edited by ihookem; 03/04/12.

But the fruits of the spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness,faithfulness, Gentleness and self control. Against such things there is no law. Galations 5: 22&23
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by ihookem
It may be deer.

More than "may be"

Save an elk, shoot a cow.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Considering we do not clear cut or cut much of anyting in our forest anymore it doest take a lot to affect the moose population.

PS. they, the DNR, refuse to admit the wolves have any impact on moose and have done nothing to see what the wolf impact is on moose calves.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Minnesota takes care of the wolf population and that will go a long way in taking care of the Moose population. Something is killing the calves. Between wolf and Coyote predation, yea Moose populations would be way down if you started with not a huge population to begin with that is common sense. All you have to do is look at what has happened and its happening to elk in Montana and Idaho.

"Any idiot can face a crisis,it's the day-to-day living that wears you out."

Anton Chekhov

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
damn,and just when I wanted to go moose hunting.

[the member formerly known as fluffy}
N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Originally Posted by las
All of the above....

Since Minn is on the southern end of the mooses temperature range already, they are surviving on a thin margin as it is. Factor in a perhaps aging population gradually dying off, little calf recruitment (stress/bears/wolves), more stress from deer ticks, brainworm, and climate warming, and a declining population should not come as a surprise.

I suspect wolves are taking few adults there unless they are caught at a severe disadvantage, such as deep crusted snow that the wolves can run on, and the moose can't, making for an easy and safe kill. If there are deer available, or moose calves, the wolves will prefer these to large, more dangerous animals that will likely injure or kill some of them in the taking. Not to say they can't take them if they are hungry enough, but it's gonna cost 'em - and they know it.

These are touchy subjects and I usually find myself shooting a couple holes in people's opinions, even if I just keep it to myself.

But I have no arguments with any of this.

Something clever here.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

76 members (Aviator, 35, AnthonyB, 01Foreman400, 9 invisible), 1,439 guests, and 780 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,503
Posts18,490,593
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.