Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I have spent one day with you and we have corresponded a lot over the years but I cannot say I really know you. But with that said, I would bet real money you would not be without work for a full week. Remember this, Scots do not bet unless they are 200% sure they would win. wink

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I had a guy actually spit on the floor while waiting to talk about a job he had applied for.

I was laughing so hard, he looked confused when I called him on it and told him to gtfo.

Priceless. I should have kept his app just for shets and giggles.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Hey Dude. I'll take it, when is my vacation? laugh

Jed York does not own the 49ers; Russell Wilson does.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
if it requires a fellow to wear a tie...I�m out grin

I work harder than a ugly stripper....
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've been out of college since 1974. Got my first full time real job not long after that. Any time I have left a job, it has been on my terms - typically left on Friday and started my next job on Monday. I left one job because of my wife's transfer and stayed home for 3 months unpacking boxes and such, got bored and sent out three resumes - got three interviews and three job offers. Never collected unemployment and have never had to work a job where I was "underemployed" or out of my field. Guess I've just been lucky? Or maybe just ambitious enough to do what I like and do it well.

Can't believe some of the stories being told here, they are just too outrageous. I know there are some youngsters who have gumption and really do want to work, but there are a lot of them who think they should get a six figure income and a corner office right out of college, and anything else is beneath them. Then there are those, regardless of age, who really want and need a job and can't buy one.

Dad always said life ain't fair . . . I'd say he was right unless you are willing to do something about it.

Someday I hope to be the person my dogs think I am . . .
The only true cost of having a dog is its death.
Someone once said "a nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves."
Shiloh Sharps . . . there is no substitute.
NRA Endowment Member
IC B2

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Respectfully disagree, sometimes life is not fair and there is nothing you can do about it.

I was working hard and doing the best I could. And, I was damned good at what I was doing. Then one day I made one lift to many. Hurt on the job, doctors would not let me work. workers comp would not pay me and there was no state law that said they had to. Four and a half years of no pay and five and a half years where working would have gotten me sued. Workers comp case working telling me every week I should take my own life for the good of my family and society.

No sir, sometimes life is not fair and there is nothing you can do about it.

Then you see guys who can work and don't want to do anything but sit and collect what the rest of work hard for.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by heavywalker
What is wrong with people, I interviewed 5 people today for a position. The job would pay between 16-20 per hour starting out depending on experience. 3 of the 5 people came into the interview and said something to the effect that they only applied for the job to fulfill their unemployment and they had no desire to work, one guy even said I don't want to waist any more of your time and cut the interview short.

Another guy told us that he was only available from October till May, and he was unavailable May through October for a full time job.

WTF is wrong with people

If you don't mind my asking, what kind of work and where?

I used to hire and train salespeople for a large Insurance Company as well as my own staff for my ofice and region. I had to look hard to find someone who would give a carreer a try where they could make upwards of $250K per year and many did but when I would put out an ad for an administrative assistant or Marketing assistant for $1500/Month? I would have applicants lined up out the hallway of our office building LITERALLY! Strange, I thought.

I never had the bad experiences you are having. In fact I wish I could have hired and used many more than I did as there were many good people looking for jobs when I was hiring. Maybe it is somewhat regional, part of the reason for my questions.

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by Scott F
Interviewed a guy who sat sideways in an arm chair and wanted me to tell him why he should work there. Told him I could not think of a reason he should and walked out of the interview room.

Every time I have been without a job my main goal was to do whatever it took to get back to work. Today it sounds like we who believe in the importance of meaningful employment are a vanishing breed.

There is a prime example of someone who needs to be whipped with a switch till he can't sit down, sideways or otherwise.

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by tbear
Actually had a young man whose parents owned a vacation home next to mine make the following statement about a possible job. "Don't have a license so I need a job where someone picks me up & drops me off at home. I can't stand someone giving me $hit so I need to be left alone when working. I have no trade or education, but for really good money I will work hard". I told him if he found such a job to call me I would also be interested.
While there are free loaders most people want to work & are willing to apply them selves. We own a family employment agency which my wife runs & there are many competent hard working people that need jobs.

Another candidate for Dogwood Tea.

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Respectfully disagree, sometimes life is not fair and there is nothing you can do about it.

I was working hard and doing the best I could. And, I was damned good at what I was doing. Then one day I made one lift to many. Hurt on the job, doctors would not let me work. workers comp would not pay me and there was no state law that said they had to. Four and a half years of no pay and five and a half years where working would have gotten me sued. Workers comp case working telling me every week I should take my own life for the good of my family and society.

No sir, sometimes life is not fair and there is nothing you can do about it.

Then you see guys who can work and don't want to do anything but sit and collect what the rest of work hard for.

Boy can I identify with THAT! Top 1% in the Nation selling difficult to sell products for 18 straight years plus building a sales team that was often ranked at the top as well, and now I am a househusband.

Not complaining, mind you, as I am certian that God has a plan of some sort for me that he will reveal in his time, and he more than any others knew that I needed to sit down and shut up and rest a bit.

Joseph and Job in the Bible are examples of life not being fair, by human standards, but divinely directed. That is my assurance and source of my peace in these times.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by atvalaska
if it requires a fellow to wear a tie...I�m out grin

atvalaska you have definitely got that right have been there and done that and don't plan on doing that again and that was over forty years ago. Seeing that I'll be 72 this month I don't think it's going to happen anytime soon. Don't even plan on putting a coat and a tie on this August for my daughter's wedding or even for my funeral when it's time for me to take the well known dirt nap.

de 73's Archie - W7ACT

[Linked Image]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Worked for the same company for 26 years, got laid off, drew unemployment for 3 months, got board found another job, been there 3 years now.

Time spent hunting is not deducted from one's lifetime.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by W7ACT
Originally Posted by atvalaska
if it requires a fellow to wear a tie...I’m out grin

atvalaska you have definitely got that right have been there and done that and don't plan on doing that again and that was over forty years ago. Seeing that I'll be 72 this month I don't think it's going to happen anytime soon. Don't even plan on putting a coat and a tie on this August for my daughter's wedding or even for my funeral when it's time for me to take the well known dirt nap.

Wore a full blown suit (wool or silk or a blend of the two), wingtips or cap toe black shoes, french cuff startched white shirts with nice cufflinks and gold watch, power tie of silk with lots of red in it - the whole shootin match - for most of 33 years. Isn't so bad when you get high quality stuff that fits correctly, and for the kind of money one can make if in a career that requires such, worth it to me. Can't go to Africa and Alaska and the West Indies and Europe etc on very many hourly wage jobs. Every job has its price to pay and its trade off. Each has to decide the price one is willing to pay for the rewards offered therin as I see it.

H
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by safariman
Originally Posted by heavywalker
What is wrong with people, I interviewed 5 people today for a position. The job would pay between 16-20 per hour starting out depending on experience. 3 of the 5 people came into the interview and said something to the effect that they only applied for the job to fulfill their unemployment and they had no desire to work, one guy even said I don't want to waist any more of your time and cut the interview short.

Another guy told us that he was only available from October till May, and he was unavailable May through October for a full time job.

WTF is wrong with people

If you don't mind my asking, what kind of work and where?

I used to hire and train salespeople for a large Insurance Company as well as my own staff for my ofice and region. I had to look hard to find someone who would give a carreer a try where they could make upwards of $250K per year and many did but when I would put out an ad for an administrative assistant or Marketing assistant for $1500/Month? I would have applicants lined up out the hallway of our office building LITERALLY! Strange, I thought.

I never had the bad experiences you are having. In fact I wish I could have hired and used many more than I did as there were many good people looking for jobs when I was hiring. Maybe it is somewhat regional, part of the reason for my questions.

Mark,

This is in Olympia, it is a position in Land Surveying, not entry level, but all we are looking for someone with a few years experience to serve as an instrument operator. I think that the problem we are having is that the surveying profession has taken a sharp downturn since 2008, and a lot of the people with the experience level we are looking for have bailed on the profession. The talent pool has been diluted IMO.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Sorry to hear about that. Good luck in finding the right person, freind.

Thinking the region, i.e. Olympia vs East side might indeed have something to do with the quility of the worker pool and attitudes of same.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Land surveyors also have continuing education and the rodmen and instrumentmen (and women) who used to one day want their PLS, now don't.

A friend of mine was Director of Public Works of our city. He got axed when the new administration came in (as most would expect) and caught up withme after church one day. He has always worked and now can't find work, so applied for unemployment. He basically only had to tell me he was interested and I had to say we had nothing open for him, for him to report back, to claim his unemployment. That's the problem, some people are proud of working but can't, and those that don't want to work, don't, and our .gov can't tell the difference between them...

“There are some who can live without wild things and some who cannot.”
ALDO LEOPOLD
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
And $16-$20/hour as an instrument person is a good wage...

“There are some who can live without wild things and some who cannot.”
ALDO LEOPOLD
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Sorry, Scott, didn't mean to imply that there were never cases where nothing could be done by those affected. I know there are times where there is a "no fault" run of unfairness upon some. Of course you are right, sometimes things just stack up against folks and there is nothing they can do about it nor did they do anything to cause it. My apologies to you, sir.

Someday I hope to be the person my dogs think I am . . .
The only true cost of having a dog is its death.
Someone once said "a nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves."
Shiloh Sharps . . . there is no substitute.
NRA Endowment Member
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
No apology needed. I was just pointing out you observation was only 95% correct. grin

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

624 members (160user, 10Glocks, 10gaugeman, 06hunter59, 12344mag, 19rabbit52, 64 invisible), 2,426 guests, and 1,304 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,197
Posts18,524,088
Members74,030
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.